Criminal record (DBS / old CRB) check for occupation permit?

Hi all,

I've just asked this question on the French side of this forum and now I want to check with Brits if possible - do we need a  criminal record (I'm guessing DBS - the old CRB) check to get an occupation permit?

It doesn't state this anywhere where it talks about what documents are needed, but someone in the French forum just told me his OP was rejected because he didn't supply a criminal record check, despite this information not being requested anywhere. Eek!

So can anyone tell me if they've applied for the occupation permit this year and have had to provide it?

Many thanks :-)
Sophie

Hi Sophie,
I'm coming in on a Resident Permit and I needed a police clearance.  I'm sure you would need it, I would get it anyway. You can apply online via www.acro.police.uk. It cost me £45 not sure the cost for a family, and it takes 2 weeks to process.

Regards

Thanks Barbara, we fly out two weeks on Friday, do you think that is enough time to get it done?

Did anyone on a recent occupation permit need it? And if so do the dependents need it too?

Thanks!

Hi Sophie,
I think if you submit the form online then phone them and explain the urgency, maybe they will be co-operative.  I do think you might need it as most countries want to know what type of people are entering their country.
I leave next week, would be nice to meet up.  I wander if there are any newbie induction get together!

Safe flight.

Ok thanks for that Barbara. Such a shame we were not residents in France when we decided to move as it's a really simple online form, all done for free and posted in a couple of days from there :-(

Whereabout will you be living when you arrive Barbara? We'll be in Tamarin.

Hi Sophie,

Have done occupational permit for many expatriates never been asked criminal record.

Hello Sophie,
I am an expat in here too and i have recently done mine. They do ask your criminal clearance doc from place where you stayed more than 6 months and place where you are from. Example; i used to live in dubai before i moved here and i am actually from Turkey. So i had to get it from my own country and dubai.

But i am not sure for your dependents...

Hope this could help you

Makes sense to do a criminal record check before giving out an occupation permit. Some countries won't even allow you to visit the country if you have a criminal record.

Gj

Thanks everyone - I've had such a mix of answers (from here, the French forum here and in Facebook groups), then BOI replied to our email today saying you don't need it for self-employed occupation permit, so we're going to attempt our OP without it as it's just too much work to add to what I already need to do before our upcoming move! Thanks so much though everyone, I really appreciate it.

Good luck and welcome.

yes a morality certificate may be requested by the authorities if they feel the need.

That's good to know, thanks.

Dear sophie,
Normally it is not requested at time of application, but if they officers of the ministry and BOI, they have a doubt about the persons' character ie morality. they can refuse the application. 

Thanks

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : please register your professional services in the business directory - advertisement is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks - that's helpful :-)

Criminal records are requested for retired permits. All other permits are done without these.  When applying for Permanent Residence, you will be called to swear an affidavit stating that you had no 'affairs' with the justice / police.

karipoulet wrote:

Hi Sophie,

Have done occupational permit for many expatriates never been asked criminal record.

Hi.

You have probably not been called to work on a Non-Citizen Retired permit yet. They do ask for it.