International schools in Jakarta

Hi guys !
I am looking for a small but good international school in Jakarta or nearby for my 9 and 14 y.o.daughters .I have heard of Raffles Christian school (Pondok Indah ),Global Jaya and Mentari school in Bintaro .
Any suggestions?

Ichthus School near JIS or behind Hotel Kristal terogong

BiS in Bintaro is pretty good

High Scope In Cilandak, South Jakarta.

Annajin wrote:

Mentari school in Bintaro .

This thread is a week or two old now, so maybe the reply will be lost, but I've been hearing very good things about Mentari for a while.
I understand they teach 100% in English, and the school's standards are very high.
I have visited the site, so can assure posters it looks the part, and students have reported their total satisfaction with their environment.

Many international schools in the city are now using Cambridge iGCSE courses or are  International Baccalaureate aligned.
Most good international schools have links with universities and also offer native speakers and more than just the government list of subjects.

They are more expensive but maybe a simpler option than many other types of school in the city.

lukereg wrote:

Many international schools in the city are now using Cambridge iGCSE courses or are  International Baccalaureate aligned.
They are more expensive but maybe a simpler option than many other types of school in the city.

Thanks for the update; something likely to be useful to many new expats arriving in Indonesia with kids,  or even prospective English teachers looking for a job here.

There is a cheaper option of looking at national plus style schools that use English. My daughter is in one at the moment, all lessons being conducted in English and Cambridge check point 1 in grade 6.
Most of the international schools come at a cost of several million per month (Rising to a lot more), but these national + schools are running around 1.5 million/month.
They don't offer large playing fields and swimming pools, but the end result in education terms is heading the right direction. That fee doesn't allow for native English speaking teachers for the most part, but the standard of local teachers is getting better.

Hi. Kharisma Bangsa at Pondok Cabe.

lena palha wrote:

Hi. Kharisma Bangsa at Pondok Cabe.

Hi Lena, and thanks for your suggestion.
Perhaps I might be so bold as to suggest posting a link to it in order to make life easier for potential new parents to find the school.

http://sma.kharismabangsa.sch.id/index.php/en/

As with any advertising site, schools here always make their establishment look as good as they can, so always visit before you decide.
Apart from the obvious academic side, take a look at how the kids interact with each other and how they react to their teachers.
I've rejected a few schools in the past because the kids didn't look happy in their environment, not because the school's program wasn't up to standard.
I've just moved my daughter to a new place because discipline was an issue not properly addressed at her old place, so I went hunting for somewhere else.
I boiled the choice down to two, but rejected one because the kids didn't look happy.
It seems I made the right choice because she likes the new school, her scores have gone up and she's dressed and ready for school early most days, suggesting she's eager to go.
That and her homework is done on time without us asking her to get on with it.

i ma glad you found what u were looking for. Unfortunately i got disappointed in school my daughter went so this year we r homeschooling. 
1. No need to wake up at 6 Am
2. No need to spend 8 h in school and then  do the homework.
3. U can explain the same thing at home during 2 h.
4. U get a chance to see something else but school.
5. U teach your child your family life standards  not school type of standards.
6.Get vacation when u need it not when school is on break end u have to fight for ur ''spot under the sun''.
7 . Simply enjoining life.

lena palha wrote:

i ma glad you found what u were looking for. Unfortunately i got disappointed in school my daughter went so this year we r homeschooling. 

7 . Simply enjoining life.

Thanks.
I'm unsure about homeschooling because interaction between kids, especially peer to peer learning is important, and homeschooled kids tend to have lower grades than kids who attend traditional schools.
Number 7 on your list is an a must, but we differed in how to achieve it.

Raffles Group of Schools is the best choice. It's the best Cambridge School in Indonesia. Both my kids are studying at Raffles Kebon Jeruk. I moved them to that school before because I found the progress of my kids in terms of English Proficiency were quite slow. Upon joining the school, they were able to pick up the language faster and the teachers are also very friendly.

T Mani Vasugen wrote:

Raffles Group of Schools

I've also heard good things about Raffles - However, one tip for perspective parents is look for reviews, especially from ex-staff

https://www.jobstreet.co.id/en/companie … ol/reviews

It doesn't hurt to check Google maps reviews as well

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Raffl … 95!9m1!1b1

This applies to any school you're considering. Please remember, a good review for a given place might well be from the school pretending to be a parent, and a bad review could well be from someone with a chip on their shoulder rather than someone with a genuine complaint.