Colombia Bogota - Is it safe? To do and not to do?

Hello there, I will be working in Bogota as a teacher and wanted advise how to not come off looking foreign? Like what to do and what not to do? Is Bogota Safe? After my contract Im also looking to travel to cali.

Dear M:

You don't have to pretend or to hide. Colombian people are amazing and will not hurt you. However and obviously you should know the places where some homeless,  people in need could cause problems. Ask  safe people what those places are and you should not go there.  Foreigners in Colombia are loved and welcome.  Good luck!!!

These days Colombia is probably one of the safest countries in all of South America, thanks to the constant cooperation between the United States of America and Colombian governments. Don't sweat it.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

I have been in Bogotá for over 4 years, I am obviously foreign. Six foot four and with a British accent

I've never had any problems, just take the usual precautions, don't flash the cash, don't use your cellphone in the street etc.

It's an amazing city, just treat it like any other unknown place

I was in Bogota earlier this year and I found it very safe. There are areas that are not safe but probably not areas that you'd find yourself in anyway and typically a friend or driver will advise against the areas. My friends that live there use car services like Uber instead of taxi's. They say it's safer and they are Colombian and have lived there forever so you might do that but I had no issues with the taxis.

Hey Mike, Colombia is fine as long as you take the same precautions as you would back home, and get to know which areas are ok and which to avoid.

Here are my 10 tips for taking a taxi  and some other safety tips for Bogotá.

Be sensible and be aware of what's going on around you and you'll be fine! I'm sure you'll love Colombia! :D

I just retired to Colombia last week.  So far, i have walked around in Medellín without any issues.  Been able to go the local market and make purchases without knowing any Spanish.  The people in Colombia are friendly and willing to help.