'Ullo John, got a new motor?

Right then expatties. I've got me a house in Veliko Tarnovo and I'm going to be living there full time and permanent from next summer.

So now I'm starting to think about other stuff, such as cars.

I'm happy with the car I've got in Britain but it's a long old drive to Bulgaria from Wiltshire and all of a sudden the steering wheel seems to be on the wrong side.

So if you were me would you flog it and get a new one in Bulgaria or drive over, change the registration and hope for the best with an British car on foreign roads?

All tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Get a car here, it's more cost effective and a lot less stressful. Congrats on the house  :)

I'm a bit of a crabie expattie (Yorkshire blokes tend to be direct), so I'm going to suggest taking your car is a bit silly.
Apart from all the messing about with the steering wheel being on the wrong side, there's likely to be a world of trouble with local officials when you get there.
If there is one universal constant, it's that officials dislike anything out of the ordinary, so they make life a rare old pain for anyone that doesn't just require a grunt and a stamp to get rid off.

I see a good number of RHD cars on the road in neighboring Romania with Bulgarian plates (common tax avoidance scheme), so I think it's certainly doable without too much hassle there.  From what I've heard, just the headlamps have to be switched so they point in the correct direction.

Romaniac

Hi Terry, I know quite a few people that have driven over, there are people here on the forum that have done it, but I think I'm in the Kris camp here, although it'd be quite an adventure it seem's to me a little bit of a stretch, and without much of a grasp of the local lingo any small issue could become a much bigger one rapidly.
Don't forget to drive across from the UK you are hitting other countries so you will need to bed down in some places the costings may be cheap enough. but unavoidable and all add up, and regards the steering wheel you'd be better getting one that fits down the middle as left and right doesn't really matter if the local drivers are driving down the middle of the road  :mad:  !! (there are more knobs on the road than on your dash board!!)
There are a few used car dealers on the forum that you can look at too but again the language is going to be a challenge if you can not speak it or read it, take something with a google translator on it that'll surely help you ask a few questions don't forget the nodding head culture too "nod for no, and shake for yes!?"
It'll be interesting to hear how you get on?
Good luck, Steve.

As someone who did bring the car over, because we had a much loved dog and I had heard of terrible things going wrong if he flew, we decided to drive.  We took our time and infact thought of the drive cross of an adventure and holiday at the same time. We did not encounter any problems and of course we were able to have our personal things close to use.We had it,s lights changed, we didn't have any problems driving a rhd and infact the police seem to ignore us in general. I understand local cars are not usually maintained to much of a standard and seem to be quite expensive for what you get.  Getting the registrared is exactly the same procedure as a local or new car.  Really I think the choice is yours, if you really love your car or pet like us bring it over,if you have no attachment buy one here.

Thank you everybody for your help and advice and apologies for not replying sooner.

The consensus of opinion seems to be to buy a car in Bulgaria when I get there and my son in England is after the car that I have now so that just about sorts the problem. And he'll be able to drive me everywhere when I come back to England stinking of rakia for a holiday.

Terry

we bought a left hand drive in London then drove from Scotland where we lived to here. Had to have the lights changed but cheap enough from the 'Chinese Car Parts Shop' and no problems at all.