Music in the Philippines

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in the Philippines? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

Music in the Philippines ?  You mean karaoke ??

That's a topic that could get interesting ;)

Hi ABCDiamond,

Thank you for your reaction  :)

Oh Karaoke ? Is is very popular in the Philippines ?

Yeah that would be interesting to know on which song we could or you would like to do a Karaoke  :D

Cheers,
Bhavna

ABCDiamond wrote:

Music in the Philippines ?  You mean karaoke ??

That's a topic that could get interesting ;)

The local young males like to drink and sing karaoke, mostly heartbreaking love songs  The more they drink the more the music brings them to tears.  Those of us who appreciate music are also brought to tears,need to listen to a few hours of cd's the next day to remind me of what music sounds like.

mugtech wrote:

Those of us who appreciate music are also brought to tears

Perfectly put :)

Karaoke is too popular in the Philippines, and they love the volume loud, so that the entire neighbourhood can hear them.

My area brought out a law recently though:

Any sound emanating from a videoke or karaoke machine being used that can still be heard after a distance of at least 50 feet from the source is considered noisy and beyond the allowable volume.

Violators will be given first warning and will be instructed to lower the volume. Succeeding warning or reminders will result in the payment of fines, ranging from 1,000 – 5,000 pesos and/or imprisonment up to six months.

The Ordinance was passed primarily to protect residents from discomfort and disturbances posed by the unregulated use of videoke and amplified sounds, especially during the wee hours of the morning.

The last few words got me wondering though: "the wee hours of the morning" From a Philippine Government website.  Who is teaching them English ;)  But I liked it :)

Obviously for the youth and baby boomers, American TOP 40 is the most popular. It's cool. For me however, I like different genres but not necessarily the latest releases. Hard-rock, glam-metal, AOR, Jazz fusion, modern country, Soul, R&B, blues and a whole lot more. Some of the artist I listen to: Jackson Browne, Luther Vandros, Lionel Richie, Dave Grusin, Peter Frampton, Little Big Town, Sara Evans, Don Henley, Aaron Neville, GRP jazz artist roster, etc. etc. etc. I have a magazine collection of 80's Rolling Stone, Downbeat, Hit Parader, CMT and my most beloved Tower Records Pulse mags.

Kenjee wrote:

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in the Philippines? How about traditional music and instruments?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

Hello everyone,

I am not sure whether there's a similar topic or this has been discussed or brought up here. Anyway, most Filipinos prefer pop music, especially the younger generations. If some of you will watch local TV here in the Philippines, you will notice that most of the songs they sing in a foreign or local reality singing competition are foreign pop songs.

When it comes to traditional music, still, there are few younger locals who still appreciate our old or folk songs. You can hear traditional songs mostly at different festivals of different provinces in the Philippines.

Filipinos who are great singers are Regine Velasquez, Lani Misalucha, Lea Salonga, Zsa Zsa Padilla, Angeline Quinto, Arnel Pineda, Apl.de.Ap, Ogie Alcasid, Martin Nievera, Gary Valenciano, Francis Magalona, Jose Mari Chan and more. You could search through the internet and check out their songs.

Those local and international artists have regular gigs so you can either attend their concerts or visit their regular shows at different bars or theaters.

Most of my friends are into 80s or new wave songs so I was influenced by them as well. ;)

Kenjee wrote:

The most popular music genre currently is Pinoy pop. There are other Philippine music genres similar to western countries. There's Pinoy folk, rock, disco, alternative rock, rap, hip-hop, etc. (No Pinoy country that I know of.)

My favorite genre is Pinoy rock. During my college years, the most popular were bands like the Dawn, Rivermaya and Eraserheads.

My favorite local artist is composer Ryan Cayabyab. Very talented. I really like his song "Tuwing Umuulan at Kapiling Ka." The song is versatile. But I like it best when it's sung as gospel with a full choir.

I remember when I first arrived in the Philippines on a business trip in January 2001. I landed in a dusky asian city far from anywhere with not a little apprehension. I got in the taxi and although exhausted with jetlag was captivated by a radio station called Joey Rhythms 92.3 FM (not broadcasting today sadly). What got me was the melody. Classic soul meets bossa nova meets easy 70's listening. Songs like Guitar man from Bread and England Dan & John Ford Coley 'we'll never have to say goodbye again' I said to the taxi driver I wish we had a station like this in the UK. He said, after a little contemplation "Nick, Filipino's are incurable romantics" I never forgot that moment in the taxi and discovered Filipinos heartfelt sense of rhythm in the hotel bands and bars of Malate not to mention two Filipino radio stations that give me immense pleasure today namely Crossover 105.1 FM and Boracay Beach Radio. Khryzthinne you mentioned in your post Regine Velasquez . Remember her song 'You were meant for me'? Delightful