Living in Antakya (not Antalya)

Hello,

A job offer in Antakya interested me but before taking any decision I need to imagine better how living there is .
Actually, I read many different point of view.
Tourits comments said they had a good time and no problem occured.
Some articles says it's a rebel rear base and it's not safe for foreigners (kidnappings). Some adviced to not take any land transportations and avoid crowded areas or touristics places.
When I read this, I thought it's exaggerated it seems like beeing european there means living hidden.
So, if someone can help me to know if it's true or exagerated it would be very nice.

Thank you

Hi SahraFey,

I hope other expats in Antakya will be able to give you a good authentic point if view of the local situation. I am currently residing as an expat in Istanbul.

I cannot give you a European's point of view, only as a Pakistani expat. Before I came over, I had heard numerous stories about Istanbul being a chaotic place, prone to reckless gun fires being shot at random people  especially in the wake of Gezi Park conflict.

Needless to say, reality was considerably different. The media was still portraying a heavy picture from incidents that happened over two years ago. So what you and hear in media is a lot different than the reality.

Having said that, Antakya does lay close to Syria and can be rife with tension. Although it is not a hot bed of kidnappings that you may have to stay hidden all the times. I think it would be best to discuss this matter with your company first of all.

Second, you can also network with other European expats living there who live in Antakya. Hopefully, people will come forth to share their experience of the city.

Good luck with your decision.
Z

ı can help you i am in antakya right now...

Hi,

I am not sure if you read the post clearly, but the OP is not asking for any help, but only an opinion. Perhaps you can just give your opinion about the political condition is in Antakya at the moment so that she can make up her mind easily.

Thank you in advance for any positive contribution to the blog
Z

AGRİCULTURE wrote:

ı can help you i am in antakya right now...

Hello Xeeschan,

Thank you for telling me your own experience.
It's reassuring to hear that is different from what media show.

Hello AGRICULTURE

It's hard to find point of view from people living in Antakya.
So, If you don't mind could you tell me how is the daily life ?

Thank you in advance

No problem Sahra

I'm glad my response helped you somewhat. Hopefully you'll find response from other local expats too.

Good luck
Z

SahraFey wrote:

Hello Xeeschan,

Thank you for telling me your own experience.
It's reassuring to hear that is different from what media show.

Hi

Antalya is calm and safe until now.  It is better to come and live for some months here and then deceid about your life.

Hello Shide,

Thank you your advice is a good one.
But I was asking about Antakya. Do you know how is the situation there?

Hello
I lived in Antakya for 18 months and it is safe and calms but things are changing like all places in Turkey and you will have a big communities of western in Antakya and live and more move freely

Hello deafalla,

Thank you for your answer, it's quite hard to know about life there.

Hello, I've been living in Antalya for the past two years, and I can tell you it is a very nice and peaceful place to live, I have a number of foreigners friends that share the same opinion.

Hi Leila

Thank you for your response, though the OP is interested in opinions about AntaKya. If you know someone who is living in Antakya and can give a good opinion,  it will be really helpful for the forum.

Thank you
Z

Hi,
I don't live there but my work takes me to Antakya quite often, often for long periods of time.
I also have friends working at the university.

I was there a week ago. Despite the fact that it is at the border and everybody chats about the problems all the time, it does not have any reflection on the daily life just yet.
And I have to admit, I kind of feel safer there than İstanbul right now.
This is just an assesment about the center. I used to take long drives by the syrian border, going through some very nice villages. This for example is not an option any more.

Pros: I have met so many kind and nice people from so many different backgrounds. I love that about Antakya. The food is so so so good and everything is incredibly cheap.

Cons: It is a small town. There are times that I stay long- two months for example- and I get bored. And finding a nice flat is hard. The constructions are so bad. And ah, Antioch is really famous for its earthquakes.

If you have any specific questions, you can contact me, and I would be happy to answer you.
Best,
Ayse