Contact for finding long term rental in Costa Rica

Hi Parritaman,

You are right, you have to go out of the country after 3 months but I definitely suggest people stay at least 6 months at the place they think they would settle in before buying.

How do you rent for six months when you're only allowed to stay in the country for three months?  Customs officers are sometimes asking to see your return ticket.  At the Panama border some customs agents are only giving 30 day visitor visas to those they suspect just cross the border in an attempt to renew their visa.
The perpetual tourist situation is gradually coming to an end.
If you apply for a status "Pensionado for example", they will let you stay forever, as long as your application has been submitted.

It's a good idea to mention that any decent travel agency will provide you with the information and it's also in their profit to tell you about the visa.  Through them, you can buy a bus ticket to Nicaragua or a plane ticket with Nature Air that goes to Panama and Nicaragua, showing that you will be going out of the country after the 3 months visa. 

Last year my tenants bought a tour to Nicaragua online and just with the proof of that tour, they didn't have any problems with the airline.

Of course, having your residency is much better but you have to know for sure if you want to stay in Costa Rica before.

Traveling to Costa Rica for the first  time next week. Looking for a place to relax. Eat healthy by walking to farmers market and learn a new culture and if I feel a at home might move there. Trying to find a nice place to visit but don't know where to begin. I am good at traveling but need some direction. Help please.

What area are you planning to visit and for how long?  That may help us in recommending something.

I can help... email
[email protected]
or call before 7pm
(506)  2268 9363

The 506 IS ONLY ID OUTSIDE OF COSTA RICA IF SO THEN ASK operator for country code also..If INSIDE CR just the 2268 9363

Beware of San Jose city, ,Jaco unless looking for hookers ,, and Caribbean Coast drugsville and danger
hope you get this
pebbalita

Jerry, Atenas is a very nice small town, there are 3 average tico food stores, a beautiful park in the center of town. There are 2 real estate company's in town who have a abundance of rental's in the $300 - 600 range. It is a friendly town with its share of gringo's. A couple of nice places to eat (not fancy)plus a few tico places to eat. You are within 30 minutes (car) of Walmart, airport and many malls. Bus service is excellent to San Jose and the local area. I have been here (Costa Rica) for a year and half and still not feel the need for a car..The buses are cheap, safe and reliable.  Any way just go on the internet and google Atenas and you will get all kinds of info. The also have Canada Day outing every year plus a great chili cook of in Feb. One last thing about Atenas don't be surprised to eating at an out side restaurant and have a horse and rider pass by on the street. Check out craigs list on line for rentals all ovre Costa Rica.
Pure Vida

I agree with Gin that the Nicoya Peninsula is a pretty awesome place to live. I was able to live there for about a year in Delicias and it was absolutely beautiful and not over-built. The only real downside was the heat which I could never get used to so I spent a great deal of time feeling lethargic and unmotivated. I found that Santiago de Puriscal was a much better option. It was close to everything that anyone would need (hospitals, malls, dining, etc) plus you are only a short distance away from some wonderful beaches yet you have the pleasure of eternal spring. The weather is perfect! ;)

Hola Michelle,

I have lived just outside of San Ramon for four years now and plan to spend many years here. If you would like more info., pics or whatever, contact me at - [email protected]

- Dave

Hi,
I'm a single male looking to retire in San ramon. I'm looking for a furnished apartment. Any suggestions on how to find one? I'm exhausted trying to Google this and getting nowhere.

Thanks.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I'm not in the San Ramon area but you can try your luck with www.airbnb.com, www.vrbo.com or www.craigslist.com.

Good luck, Gini

In San Ramon or anywhere I think the best way to find a place to live is to rent a cabin, hotel or whatever for a month or two and then look around for a cheaper long term solution from there.
Often by connecting with other expats you can find homes that are empty and the owner would rather have SOME $ coming in than NO money coming in so you can get a good deal that way.
Or just asking around and finding someone who knows of a place like what/where you are looking for. Check postings at grocery stores, ask everyone you meet - in restaurants, bars, grocery stores, wherever.

In short, "Word of mouth" is the best way to find a good deal.

GamecockEli wrote:

I am living in SC/GA, USA, hoping to move to CR in the next year.  My research indicates Central Valley is best fit for me.  I am hoping to do a short term rental and look, then a longer term rental house - not condo, apartment, flat or whatever - a house.  My questions for longer term rental are: do they usually include utilities like water, internet, cable/Dish, and/or electric or do you get those in your own name?  If you have to get them in your own name are you required to put down a deposit?  If so how much?  Is Atenas still a good area? 
Thanks for any help!  My direct email is ***
Eli

Atenas is good but also more expensive and more gringo than some other areas.
Rentals often but not always include water and electricity. Sometimes internet and cable but I wouldn't count on it. Maybe in Escazu or Atenas but you'll pay...

Thanks. ..

Hi,

I'm in the Montezuma area and I have a small house [Moderated] So if you want to give a try to Montezuma, let me know.

Have a great day, Gini

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Rick, if you go to:  https://www.flipkey.com/san-ramon-cabin … s/p587115/    you will find cabins for rent.  Cesar is the manager there and is an incredibly nice and honest person.  They are located about 7 km. outside of San Ramon, Alajuela.  If you will not have a car they also are very close to a bus stop.

- Dave

Hello
I like to find a nice house in Puerto Viejo, Talamanca!

I agree Julie 
I lived ALL OVER Costa Rica,   until I discovered MY  piece of heaven  with ilush green , safe tranquil and aWESOME VIEWS of Volcanoes and city lights, ( 20 minutes . as close as we want to be to SanJose )... vVIEWS here are to die for, or I should say to LIVE for, 25 years flew by,,  but alas it may soon be time for me to return to England   Brrrrrrrrrrrr

yey to the  MAGNIFICENT Hills of Heredia ..close to Country club ( If that's your thing )  Casual and or formal events , but with a  gym and pool pool tables , sauna etc,,
We also have Malls  and great shopping, ) and up and downscale restaurants  AND local fun ORGANIC Farmers Markets. 4 minutes away,,, This area and  mild ,not cold climate   and it sure as heck beats the prices in the :Gringo Gulches : :)

We ALL think YEAH the beach ...until a few weeks of sweaty tears Ha ..AND realize just HOW far we are from  moderate 80 degree climates , MODERN Hospitals  (as we get older . ) .Not little clinics with no equipment, YET  real eastate "agents" tout as just as good in remote areas ,,,THEY are LYING YOU Can DIE before gettinfg to a modern Hospital ie,Heredia NEW one...
Great you have good taste :)
Deb

Caquita Beach and Carrabean ALL are VERY high DRUGS therefore very hhigh crime Careful for the KIDS  some are oblivious if there for a short trip TRY living there SCARY

ExpatDave wrote:

Rick, if you go to:  https://www.flipkey.com/san-ramon-cabin … s/p587115/    you will find cabins for rent.  Cesar is the manager there and is an incredibly nice and honest person.  They are located about 7 km. outside of San Ramon, Alajuela.  If you will not have a car they also are very close to a bus stop.

- Dave

Be sure to bring sweaters and maybe an extra blanket depending on the time of year. We stayed up there - it's a high altitude - and were very cold at night and early a.m.!

This is just to remind people that although this is "the tropics" and near the equator, it does get cold at high altitudes. It might be sweltering at the beach but not in the mountains at night!

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@pebs

Please place a free advertisement in the housing section at the top of the page.
Advertising is not permitted on the open section of the forum.

Caribbean  Julie NOOOO far too dangerous and with kids worse! I have lived here 26 years and  8years ago I  used to send ALL my tenants and b&B guests there but these days NO way,, I had a few go visit anyway.. but lived ti regret it,,at least they lived ..Barely ...I would never recommend anyone wven visiting let alone living there.

Where would you suggest moving to?

Napa,

You cannot make a judgement of where to live based on other's opinions.  The above writer lives in Heredia and "loves"living there.  You could not pay me to live in that area.  It's simply a matter of taste.  I am in the process of moving to an area near the Nicaraguan border that is an hour to the nearest small town.  Great for me but 99% of the Gringos down here would most likely hate it.

There are many ex-pats living on the Caribbean side of the country and they enjoy living there.  I've been there several times and found the people to be extremely friendly.  As to drugs and violence, the exact same thing could be said of Heredia; however, there are areas of Heredia that are also nice.  You simply don't move into those areas that are known for the criminal elements no matter where you choose to live.

Once again, it is so, so important to come down, rent for at least a year, explore and find the area that best fits "your" needs.  It's a very small country but you can go a very short distance and the atmosphere changes in many ways.

- Expat Dave

I agree SOOOOOOOO much with Dave.  Your choice most likely would not be mine.  If I had listened to the many, many opinions in 2010 we would not be where we are.  We made our own choice and love it !!!  Good advice Dave.

I agree with you guys.   Ignore anybody that says that "this place" is paradise.  Find a rental and travel as much as possible to find what works for you.

Totally agree!!!
Check it out first, rather than regret it later.

Recently I read on a young families blog, detailing their experiences here for the first month...and now it seems they are gone...

Comparing  the highly dangerous drug and violent area of the Caribbean Coast to  Heredia is very naive on your part... I guess you really DON"T know this lovely SAFE area.
I moved here 26 years ago after scouting and renting  in many arias of C.R and, fortunately .eliminating most areas in which many people on this site live. and happy to say have not had the criminal activity which they have experienced ( causing  them to  become bitter in their posts to people who are planning to move here. I notice that some have time to sit 24/7 like Preying Mantises, awaiting to pounce on anyone merely considering moving to Costa Rica.
It boggles my mind that .if they dislike  C.R. t so much..what makes them stay in C.R.?

I suggest that  you pay me a visit and I will gladly show you around for free, as I have done for many people on this site,  and if you do not fall in love with Heredia HILLS ..as they did , then all I can say is "There is no accounting for taste" (or lack thereof)

WOW you had better wait. as I have, to, hear the horror stories of people who just VISIT the Caribbean, including many of my Costa Rican friends, ( and I am not talking about a FEW people ( I owned a B&B for 22 years)  so I am talking about hundreds ,the majority of whom had very frightening experiences..
READ the GUIDE BOOKS,  one of which has a  chapter's heading saying "Caribbean Coast " SEX,  DRUGS AND CRIME .I will give the Books Title and page number when I get time,  and this is an old VERY popular book,,.and rest assured the crime has only INCREASED over the years. since that article was written.
.Take off your rose colored glasses ,,,PLEASE.  and alert people of the dangers of living or buying there.

your quote .."You cannot make a judgement of where to live based on other's opinions."
YOU just DID !  ( voice your opinion)  I guess you mean for readers to just ignore it LOL 
It's simply a matter of taste. so VERY true !

All areas of the country have changed in the past 26 years...some for the good and some for the not so good.

Is this post from KOHL but using a different username ?
True things have changed but I have never heard of Crime Decreasing as opposed to INCREASING anywhere in the world!

oopsI have a new email and did not notice LOl IF anything is free
ir is ***

All I was saying was that what attracts someone at one time or age may not be what they require at this point in time. Such as buying a large home, a house with lots of stairs...or a property on hilly terrain.

Gin hello I am a single male retired on fixed income. Any information that I could receive would be greatly appreciated. Looking to live in the south closer to Panama for border run. I need a rental (long term). My budget forces me to be at around 400.00 a month for everything absolutely needed.  I.E.water electricity phone

Law7out wrote:

Gin hello I am a single male retired on fixed income. Any information that I could receive would be greatly appreciated. Looking to live in the south closer to Panama for border run. I need a rental (long term). My budget forces me to be at around 400.00 a month for everything absolutely needed.  I.E.water electricity phone

If you're looking for near Panama at that price, you may want to look in the San Vito area. There is another thread here about the Southern Zone and Expat Dave is moving there so he might have some info about that.
In general finding a $400 place to live including the cost of elec water and phone is going to be VERY difficult in Costa Rica. That was do-able in the 90's but not so much any more.
Anything is possible though... maybe a room for let?

I agree with samramon in that your budget for housing, will be difficult to meet.  Long term rental do not usually include utilities.
Are you intending to apply forresidency? It could cost approx. $2000
If you do, it is mandatory that you be affiliated with CAJA, which will add another expense to your monthly budget.

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I guess my dream of retirement down south may not happen. You would think that if I can make it State side that I would be able to get by in C.R. on 1040.00 USD. Any suggestions? Pura Vida

Law7out, IF you owned a home here you could get by on $1040 a month but without owning a home most of your monthly income would go to rent. And even if you owned your own home, you could make it on $1040 if you followed a tight budget and did not have a car (i.e. live somewhere near a bus or used taxis minimally, like if you lived in a small town or city like San Ramon.)

Car insurance with full coverage is almost the same cost as the states for me, gas is like $7 a gallon now (not sure of the exact figure but its much higher than in the U.S.; someone here may correct me), and then the CAJA would run - probably - around $40-80 a month. Mine is $80 for my wife and me so I assume for 1 person on low income it would be half or at least less.

If you could figure out a business to make money online (not easy to do; don't believe the hype some give you about that) and pull in another $400-500 a month you might be able to live in Costa Rica.

Thank you for your time. I don't know I thought my money would go a lot further down there. So about the only way I figure I might get by is with a roommate.