Moving to Verona- how to get a codice fiscale

Hello,
We are moving to Verona for a year's stay on 1 July 2015. Who knew moving a few household goods and books, etc would require such a list of documents. Does anyone have any idea how I get a Codice Fiscale prior to moving or do,you pack everything up give it to the movers and then send them the required documents.
Thank you all
Meg

Meg,
I just got back from Verona after a 3 month stay and I am envious of your move. However, I am wondering if you reallyo need to move a lot of household items other than clothing's and computers (laptops) . If you have rented a furnished apartment, they will have  most items you need and, other than electronics , most household items are the same price  than the US.
I don't believe you can obtain a codice fiscale prior to being there.
Nick

Yes so I found out takes about 2 to 3 months or you can speed the process by just paying the customs, so decided that I will just have to buy clothes as I go and help the local economy!! Books though, found that Verona does have a limited supply of English books.
We are very much looking forward to our return!

I love Verona!

Hi.

The Italian Codice Fiscale is not a secret number, like a US SSN. One can calculate it online using any number of sites. Plug your personal data and it pops up. I tried this one, numerando.it/en/pg_codice_fiscale.asp, and it generated a number corresponding to my true number. Of course, if you are already in Italy, I think you can go to one of the local tax offices to have them generated it for you.

My wife and I live not too far from Verona, near Mantova. We like people watching in Piazza Erbe. If you'd like to meet, some time, in Verona for an aperativo, once you get settled in, ping us. I think one can send messages here. I am from the USA, and my wife is Italian.

- Peter and Fausta

Would love to meet with you! We will be living in Corso Cavour so easy walking! John speaks fluent Italian, however I don't if I ever get a minute I will try Rosetta Stone! Have decided easiest and best for Italian economy is to just buy! I am however, shipping books and DVDs, just not sure how either as excess baggage or with Fedx.
Thank you for your message.

Hey Meg, I received my codice fiscale when I purchased the phone Sim card. Also,  I am not sure if you are familiar with meetup group but there is one in Verona that gets together every other week on Thursday Great people and a great forum to learn or improve your Italian. The organizer is Nick Copland and  the meetup name is  Aperitivo Italiano VERONA. There is also an English speaking group made up mainly of English expats and Italians that gets together every Thursday at this bar. Unfortunately, I forget the bar name but it is close to the university (Nick Copland and some of the meetup group are familiar with it) .
You mentioned that you are bringing DVD's . Please know that unless you are planning on playing these on your laptop , I believe that  Italian DVD players may not play them. The European DVD format is different than the US .
Hopefully, this helps

Hello Peter,
Thank you for your advice and information. How do I find Aperitivo Italian? Do I search here? We used to live in Piazza San Tomaso so not too far from the University area. Only there for 3 months.
I was only concerned that customs would not allow the import of DVDs. I have a DVD player here which plays both international and US DVDs but it seems it's more trouble than worth to ship so hoping I can get one at the PX. I seriously fail to understand why we don't get together on such small matters!!
Meg

So sorry, I typed your name incorrectly

The bar I was referring to  is south of Piazza San Tomaso past Ponte Navi on the same street as the University library.
Ciao, Nick

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : The forum can’t be used to promote external groups
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi.

I was thinking about the DVD/Video question. Here is what I do...

1) I have an amazon Kindle Fire HD 7". I also have an Amazon Prime account. It was complimentary for the first year with a purchase of a Kindle - but that was 3 or 4 years ago. I pay the annual subscription, now, and I think it is quite worth it: Unlimited Prime music and video. I connect the Kindle to my TV with a USB cable. (Although, I think the newer Kindles don't have the mini-USB out, any more.) You may be able to use a Kindle Fire Stick, but I haven't tried it. You need to be able to assign a fixed IP address and proxy server. (see #3 below.)

2) You need WiFi in the house. Connect the Kindle to the WiFi.

3) Here is the tricky part: Amazon Prime music is licensed for use here in Italy, but Prime Video is not. You need to set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to obtain a USA IP address for Amazon to see. This is not as difficult as it sounds, however. There are providers out there. The one I use charges $4.99 Canadian Dollars per month. I've used it for at least 3 years with excellent success. I can watch all the movies and TV series Amazon provides. I don't know, but I think providing URLs in this blog may not be permitted, so I'll just say: search for something like "How to obtain a US IP address while abroad?" or "Unblock US". The nice thing about "Unblock US" is that you can try it for free for a week to see if its worth it.

Did I see a mention of "PX"? You may want to contact Ederle (Vicenza) to see it they allow civilians. I got the impression that you can't get on the Base without a Military ID any more? (Just hearsay on my part, however. I've never been.)

I hope this helps?

- Fausta and Peter

Clarification on the Kindle-to-TV cable: It is a Mini-USB to HDMI cable.

Thanks, have an IPad, think it would work the same. Thinking SKYPE would be great I've spent the evening being frustrated. Works on laptop not on IPad! Why, can't I be satisfied with one piece of equipment working!!
Another question, do order frm Amazon? Any problems with mail?

Tech: Love to hate it. I'd presume Amazon Video on an iPad should work, since it works on a laptop? May as well try before coming over? (I think there is an Amazon iPad app.)

I order from both eBay and Amazon in Italy without trouble. eBay seems to be more popular than Amazon here. I added my Italian address to my eBay and Amazon accounts and use eBay.it and Amazon.it (not .com.) Ordering from Amazon.it will help avoid import taxes, since the products come (mostly) from EU sources. If you order from Amazon.com you'll get dinged for importing from the USA.

On the phone thing: Check out Vonage. I've been using it since 2003. I use it every day for work calls back to the USA. You get a US number with area code of your choice, and a device to plug in to your router. You connect a regular house phone to that device. I have my Vonage device here in Italy and my US number rings here, too. Unlimited world-wide calling for a fixed monthly price. The power converter is dual-voltage, like on a laptop, so all you need is a plug adapter, not a voltage converter.

(I presume the place you are staying will have Internet and Wi-Fi? Vodafone.it has some offers, if not.)

For Cell Phone service: Italy has a great pre-payed system, and all the phones (except for "3" - that's a provider) come unlocked. Upside: You get to pick and choose phones and plans with more freedom. Downside: You pay full freight on the phone price. I used Vodafone for years. This year, however, I signed up for a plan in the USA with T-Mobile. Unlimited internet (4G up to 1GB per month), text, and calling within the USA; and unlimited (3G) internet and text in Europe. Calls from my cell are 20 cents per minute while in Italy.

Regular mail? I don't do a lot of regular post here. (Every once in a while there is a horror story about a mailman's apartment filled with bags of undelivered mail - but, hey, that happens in the USA, too.) I'd say for the most part it works well - sometimes surprisingly fast! Verona is Verona: very well organized and very well run. (Bills and tax assessments ALWAYS seem to manage to make it through to us quickly, though. ughhh...)

I hope this helps?

Wow! You are great! Will check out Vontage as soon as I can! What a great idea. Yes, wifi was a requirement. I need to be able to access things here.
This my address, ************, if this allowed.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Email address removed for your own security

Hi there, I am also moving to Verona this summer (not sure when yet but definately by the end of August).
I'm really pleased to come across this thread and will be interested in this meet up.

My husband and I are very keen to learn Italian so we've never been very keen to go to purely expat meets where everyone only speaks English.
Judy
PS I can't be much help on the Codice Fiscale because mine was obtained for me before I arrived.  it seems to be necessary for buying anything once you live here. (We have been living in Milan these past 2 years)

Will be great to meet you!! I assume you or your husband are working in Italy? OK, do know one should not assume. We are both retired! Must admit I do enjoy retirement! It seriously was much easier when the Army handled everything!

Just because I am infinitely curious where did you go back to!

I am working - new job starting in Aug in Verona. Husband is retired. He stopped work when I got the teaching job in Milan 2 years ago.  One day we will go back to England.
Judy

Hello Judy,
I keep trying to get grandkids to get a teaching job overseas! Where in England, my cousins live in England and I was born there. Just spent a month in London, it was my want after I retired. Had a wonderful time and got to send time with cousins.
Hope to see you once you settle in.
Meg

Cambridge
We're looking forward to it

Stuff into storage today, now working with a company to move excess boxes to apartment. Slowly but hopefully surely things are getting done!
Meg

Well, we are here now and starting to find our way around.
Next hurdle is to change my residency from Milan to Verona.  The school (work place) have made an appointment for this in October but it was suggested that it might be possible to do online.  Anyone know anything about this?  Where to look on the website?  I couldn't find it.  MyItalian is not that good.

Anyway I have joined/ liked meetup and aperitivo etc on fb so hope to see you somewhere.
Judy

Hi Peter

I am British and have been living in Dublin and Dubai for the last 8 years. I am due to move to a little village just outside mantova in November. My husband who is Italian is already there. I'm a little anxious as I can't speak a word of the language but looking forward to getting out of the madness of Dubai. I am passionate about my work but I know that I will not be able to work for a while as I am a child & adolescent mental health psychotherapist so language is very important. How was it for you when you first moved??? Hope to hear from you Katie

Hello Katie,

I know you sent your email to Peter, but thought I would also respond. What is the name of your village? We live in Verona, which is really a lovely place. My husband is fluent in Italian and I speak English, well the American Version!
Hope your move goes well. If I can provide any help let me know.
Meg

Hi Judy,

Was great to meet you both last night!! Hope to see you again soon! Meg

Hi Meg

Thanks for your reply. I'm moving to San Biagio which is about 15 mins outside mantova. I am excited but fear the language barrier. Do you speak Italian?

Very little!! John was in hospital for a week and people were so kind as I stumbled between English and Italian! Taxi drivers were fantastic as they kindly corrected my grammar!! We have no car as I didn't ship mine so we rely on trains and buses and feet or as my mother used to say "shanks pony!"
Would be delighted to meet you both! We are retired. Love it!

How are you managing without the language?? Are you having lessons? I plan to sink myself into it and study study study. My husband if from the region and so we have a good family network although none of them speak English! Would be lovely to meet up for a coffee when I move in November. You could show me the sights of Verona :-)

I would love to!! I do like Verona and Italy. No family, but have friends who have left for the States!! I bought Rosetta Stone but fail to do as I said and spend 3 hours a day trying to learn! I want to but other things seems to get in the way, today was hop on hop off bus because it was just too nice to be inside. There is a group here called Aperitivo Verona, we met with them last night, interesting and they are young so probably your age. You might want to meet with them, the "founders" are American.
I am sorry you won't be able to work, but are you sure you couldn't find something with, say, the international school? After 41 years with the government I am enjoying not getting up at 5:00!
When do you arrive?

Hi Katie.

Welcome to italy!  We've never been to Dubai, but we're sure the pace will me much more relaxed - especially in Mantova. We also live in a village outside the city of Mantova: Campitello. November can be quite picturesque: with the fogs. But fear not. The winter is not hard and not long.

I wouldn't worry about the language, especially if your husband is Italian. I have the same in reverse: My wife is Italian. If you took any of the Latin languages in school, the grammar is the same. French helped my learning of Italian.

I see Meg in Verona contacted you. We are friends with Meg and John. They absolutely lovely people. If you can meet up with them you won't go wrong. Verona is very close to Mantova.

My wife and I are in the USA until the middle of May. My work takes me back and forth between the US and Italy. We hope to see you and your husband in the Spring!

Peter & Fausta

One of the multitude problems I have with Italian is which article to use and then there is mi, ci, ti etc.! I am sure you will do better than I! Peter and Fausta are absolutely fantastic. Miss them terribly!!

Hi all

I am due to move next week to mantova. I'm British with an Italian partner. How long does it take to obtain my residency and how to I go about getting it?

Thx

Katie

We are, after almost 4 months living here, going to the Questura for the Permisssio at the end of the month. so being terribly unhelpful no idea. Thought as British citizen and being part of EU that would not be an issue.

Hi meg

What is the issue?

Katie

Hi Meg,
Do you know what the approx. rent would be for a studio apt. in Verona?

Thanks,
Vincente

Not sure, asking a friend who rents apartments

Thanks