Coming to Quito & Cuenca

Hi every one!  I am a dinosaur of computing so this is my first time on a blog.  First Thanks to all of you for your coments and advice, it almost make it like we know some one there,  cool.  I am also traveling from the US to Quito to Cuenca starting Nov 4- Dec 11.  The trip is to see if I move to Cuenca in 2.5 yrs when  my youngest finishes University.  I was going to go by bus from Quito to Cuenca.   I heard it was quite beautiful!   Maybe spending one night on the way, but Cotopaxi is roaring & don't know if that is a good idea?  Any input is greatly appreciated.  If any one could comment on other forms of transport from Quito to Cuenca  It would be fantastic.  Thanks again.
Martha L

MGLuke wrote:

I heard it was quite beautiful! ... If any one could comment on other forms of transport from Quito to Cuenca,  It would be fantastic.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Martha.

I just priced a one-way flight, Quito UIO to Cuenca CUE, for November 11th, at $79 including fees and taxes.

You could take the bus one way and the plane the other way.

The main problem posed by Cotopaxi is windblown ash.  With the bus windows closed, you should be protected in the unlikely event that ash wafts your way.  It's extremely unlikely that your bus would get close enough to the volcano for a potential lava flow aka lahar to be a problem.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you cccmedia.  I had not done any research on the volcano jet.  Can any one suggest a beautiful place to spend the night between Quito and Cuenca?

Hi Martha, did you eventually make it to Ecuador? If you're still considering where to live in Ecuador, consider Cumbayá (an outer suburb of Quito). Cumbayá is a little warmer and a little lower than Cuenca and is popular with expats.

MGLuke wrote:

Thank you cccmedia....  Can any one suggest a beautiful place to spend the night between Quito and Cuenca?

MG's post is vintage (2015);  the question she asked is evergreen.

Consider Baños, home to rivers, lakes, waterfalls and natural hot springs, as a stopover between Quito and Cuenca.

An overnight may not provide enough time to get a good taste of Baños.  Many folks think several days in Baños is a better idea.

cccmedia in Quito