Internship in Denmark for 2 months from Nov to Jan 2016

Hi everyone, I am Angela from Singapore. My daughter will be doing her internship in Denmark for 2 months from Nov to Jan 2016.

And my husband and I will be visiting her for Christmas. We are looking forward to visit Denmark and at the same time will drop by Paris, London and Amsterdam.

Before we go, I would like to find out some information such as what currency should we change to use in Denmark?

Danish Krone or Euro? Is the winter wear there cheaper than Singapore? Food is it really expensive there?

I hope my daughter can survive there by herself! Appreciate your kind help.

Thank you very much for my many questions.

So excited to be there soon.

Hi smartyaclm,

Welcome on board :)

We created a new topic as from your post on the Denmark Forum for better interactions and visibility :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi Angela,

I have found this site which might give you an impression of the household expenses here.
http://www.numbeo.com/food-prices/count … ry=Denmark

You cannot use Euros in Denmark, but have to change to Danish Kroner if you will pay cash, but of course it depends whether you shall pay for something in a supermarket. However, we use our credit cards everywhere, and use them to pay even small amounts. We are also quite many who uses the supermarket as a 'bank' as it is free of charges. Shall we pay an amount of 100 kroner, we ask them if we can 300 kroner., and then we get the 200 kroner back in cash which is always good to have. That might also be a possibility for you and your daughter, but that depends on what your own bank will charge you for the transaction.

I have looked up the currency rates on Forex. Normally, they have very competitive exchange rates, but despite that, what a currency loss as they buy SGD at 4,32630 and sell DKK at 5,0411 (today's rate)! To my surprise, I read that it is more expensive to change from Friday afternoon till Monday morning/noon and during public holidays to cover the additional costs they have to pay the employees.
http://www.forexbank.dk/Valuta/   (purchase price for Singapore Dollars)

I see that Danes are recommended to change in Denmark. Maybe, the converse is true for you.

I am sure your daughter will survive and I am sure that she will enjoy her stay here.  :)

Kind regards,
Nellie

Ur welcome u and i have thesame issue here but am in cameroon

Oh, I forgot to comment on your question about the prices of clothes. I have searched a little, and it should be the same price. Have for example a look at http://www.hm.com/entrance.ahtml?orguri=/ where you can compare the prices between Denmark and Singapore.

But is it a good idea to buy it here? I mean, it can be annoying to spend her first time here to look for clothes, a precious time which could be spent on better things.

Thanks Nellie.Your info is of great help to me.The numbeo is helpful so that I can find out what's the expenses there.

Thank you Maximillien!I am so happy to receive help from the people here!

Hi Nellie.Once again thank you.You are very right.My daughter probably wont even have time to shop for clothes.Better play safe to get some winter wear in Singapore unless not enough then she can get it there.I shall compare the H&M prices here & there.