Illegal adverts allowed on expat blog?

Hi i thought Uber was illegal in Malaysia, Those caught as drivers can't get their "car tax" renewed and passengers have their credit cards blocked/banned! That was in the news recently.

So why are adverts for drivers in Malaysia on Expat.com?

Well I would suspect that there are far more countries where Uber is completely legal, and if Uber does have a contract for advertising with Expat-blog that contract would need only to conform to the laws in Mauritius, where Expat-blog is located. It would also be virtually impossible for the staff at Expat-blog to determine exactly which countries, states or municipalities have local laws or bylaws which ban Uber around the world. How do you propose that they would delete only the ads in these jurisdictions???

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Nemodot,

I guess these ads are automatically inserted by Google Adsense ?

We haven't got any contrat with Uber

Not a lot to be done about the google stuff, unless Julian can block them from given countries, but any advertising threads on the forums will disappear pretty quickly.

Now, things are heating up. News reports from earlier today gave the indication that authorities had deemed the service ‘illegal', which isn't really the case. What SPAD is actually saying is that the mobile app-based vehicle for hire service must fully comply with all transportation laws in the country, which it apparently does not at present.

For starters, the commission says that the service utilises private vehicles, which are not allowed to carry fare-paying passengers. Doing so is an offence under the Land Public Transport Act 2010. The regulations also state that vehicles registered under ‘hire-and-drive' conditions under SPAD cannot be used for taxi or limousine services.

According to SPAD chairman Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar, the commission's findings had determined that Uber is utilising private vehicles as well as those registered for ‘hire-and-drive' services in addition to vehicles from proper limousine companies.

Actually that is the latest status

Best

Andreas

Uber is illegal in most countries! Just google it.

In malaysia who knows - laws here are very rubbery lol