Buying a car in Colombia

Hi,

To be able to move in Colombia, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Colombia: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

I had to have a cedula to get a licence and to get my insurance and plates (as a tourist you can only drive on your foreign licence fro three months from entry - we have been stopped by the police and I had to show my entry stamp).  People have said it can be done without a cedula.     We bought ours in a weekend, and the company (Toyota) organised the plates / registration etc - that was included in our on road costs.  Ours is registered in Envigado - cheaper than Poblado.  You need to have:

SOAT (third party) insurance - you can buy it everywhere, even in exito.  That costs me 260,000 a year.  We use SURA.

Car tax payable every year - depends on your car as to what it costs.  1,000,000 to 37,000,000 = 1.5%;   37 M to 87 M = 2.5%;   87 plus = 3.5%.  I think this is right.

We get comprehensive insurance through Sura - again depends on how much your car is worth / age etc.

You need to have an emergency road kit in the boot - Tire blocks, witches hats, first aid kit, fire extinguisher (up to date)

If you buy a used car, you have to have a technical revision yearly if older than 6 years. 

- You would be silly not to get a mechanical inspection.

- You and the seller need to be registered on the RUNT website and you would need:

Paz / Salvo (from the RUNT) stating the vehcile is debt / outstanding ticket free.
-   you can also check on the    www.SIMIT.org.co      website
Proof of payment of tax on the car
Certificado de Tradicion from the transport office
Copy of SOAT etc
You boh need to head to the transport office where the vehicle is registered and fill out some forms and provide in addition:

cedula ID's (photocopy)
Licence copies
technical check-up certificate
paz y salvo copy
Sale contract / invoice copy.

I am looking at a 1968 Nissan Patrol 6 cylinder value $6,000, 000...........the Nissan is in Bogota, I am in Popayan.....the owner is willing to drive it here, 14+ hours, to close the deal..........are you stating that the deal must be closed where the car is registered?