Finding my son in Graz orphanage

Can anyone tell me the names of the orphanages in Graz or around there. I'm afraid my ex put my son in one and I'm living in USA and can't seem to get any answers about where my son is.

They do have yellow pages in Austria where you could look, although you may need to speak German quite well. Gelbe Seiten.at, or Herold.at, both are on the net. German for orphanage is Weisenhaus. Good luck to you!

actually to find anything use the right spelling: Waisenhaus...

I suggest you involve your embassy here in your quest. It should be their responsibility to help you!

Also you might try to address all Schools to find out if your kid is registered there - but as they are not allowed to give out any Information to third parties, you will be requested to prove your rights. Even as parent you have None if your are not still married to the other parent, not having a legal guardianship or after divorce not granted any rights by court or still married. Usually it is NOT possible to put a child in a Waisenhaus (orphanage) here if any other living relatives are listed - so if you have ever been legally mentioned, you would have been approached. Corruption may fly high in Austria, but children´s rights are being observed very strictly.

The problem is that I was living in Portugal and was working in the Algarve and I had a contract.she was on holiday with a friend and I wasn't looking to meet anyone. But we spent the time she had left together. 2 moths later she told me she hated me because she was pregnant. My friends told me that maybe she was trying to trick me to go live with her in Austria. 4 moths went by and my contract ended I texted her and told her I would be going home for a short visit to see my family since I was gone for 4 years.when I got home I accidentally washed my return ticket and had no money to get back. So I had to look for work. It took 3 moths to find a job. And she later sent me an email telling me she had the child and named him Andre. I gave her my full name and address and telphone number plus my government issued I'd number if in any case the embassy would need to contact me they could within 24 hours in an emergency. Well when I had enough money to go back to Europe I went to try to send her an email but Yahoo closed my account because I didn't use it for 3 months. And there was no way to retrieve it because it was now being used by another person with the same name. I'm assuming she never put my name on the birth record. A friend of mine saw her in Portugal the next year and asked her if she had a child and she said no. She looked worried when she said that. If I am not on the records can she put the child in an orphanage? I am prepared to go to Austria to take blood tests to prove he is mine and the embassy will help as long as I can find out where he is.

hello Timothy, it does not look so good for you as you don´t even know if the child exists, let alone if you are the father. 

You cannot put a child in an orphanage that easily. This is not Brazil: social Services would be heavily involved as well as the entire Family of the Young mother. In Austria abortion is legal - so she would most probably have had one to start with instead of giving up the child later. Even having the child adopted would be an endless bureaucratic Story and - I am not sure but I believe so -  parents can Claim the child back over a certain period which is why the prospective adopting parents have to become foster parents first.

First things first, however: Have you checked her Name and surname on the Internet? or in the White pages (http://www.herold.at/telefonbuch/) or what about her phone-number? You have obviously been in contact with her. If this is so important for you, why are you not here looking her up on the Internet? Or check the yellow pages (Herold.at) for a private investigator an let him have some business? Or ask your Embassy to draw a Meldeauskunft on her (official Registration Card inquiry) - you need to know her date of birth to draw that. This costs about 12 Euros and will hopefully be affordable for you.

I don´t know how much is there to believe of your stories - and the poor Girl (being Austrian and probably Born practically thinking) might just have gotten the same Impression from you and Chose to run...

I mean: just for your washed return ticket - you would get a copy from the Airline for a comparatively small fee.  So who believes that you didn´t think of that? It is already difficult to believe that in times of electronic tickets you did not have a copy somewhere... Are you actually Aware that taking on the role of the legitimate father will cost you much more than an Airline-ticket? a whole life long??

What kind of Story is that anyways?  I actually have asked myself often where romance authors find their Abstract stories - yours is one...
However, I still wish you luck, even suspecting that I am communicating with a troll...

Hi Timothy,

To be quite honest your situation sounds rather hopeless. First of all there is the very real possibility that she was never pregnant at all and she said she was either to give herself a convenient excuse to dump you, or to set you up for some kind of future scam. Given that your friend asked her point blank if she had a child and she said no, I'd put my money on this one.

Then there is also the real possibility of a legal abortion, which is much easier and stressful than carrying a baby to term, only to put it up for adoption later. Unless your lady friend was a devout Catholic and was under lots of pressure from her family not to go and have an abortion you could pretty much count this one having taken place as a safe bet.

Even if she did give birth, you're quite correct in assuming that she simply listed the father as "UNKNOWN". In this case not only would you need to find the child (if a child even exists), but you would also have to prove your paternity. This would certainly involve the courts, lawyers and legal fees. Then if the child has already been adopted you're looking at another completely separate legal process to overturn the adoption.

You really have to weigh all the options, and then seriously look at your capabilities and the eventual outcomes. So let's just say the child was really born, and you do find him/her... then what? What will it serve the child if you drive yourself into financial ruin in order to find the child, establish paternity and obtain custody. Would you want to spend the rest of your life living in abject poverty as a result? Would you wish that upon your child? If you're so endebted that you can't provide a decent life for the child, what good is any of it? If the child doesn't even exist and you've bankrupted yourself what have you proved to anyone other than yourself?

My firm advice to you is to take your friend at his word, and believe that she didn't lie to him when she told him she didn't have a child. Turn the page and go on writing a completely new story for your life... one with a much happier plot and ending.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team