Png in october

Hi all! Will be in PNG in October.I've been reading a lot abt PNG and crime rates are very high.is it safe? Hope I can meet some of you when I get there.thanks! You can also add me on Facebook ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.Exchange via private messages

Hi,  Yes Port Moresby does have high crime rates.  However there are many safe places to go if you pay attention to your surroundings.  The biggest problem is safe transportation for single women,  If you can secure good transportation then you can go to some restaurants, the mall, with a theater and expat grocery and shopping centers with no problem.  The best thing to do if you don't have corporate transportation is to have someone recommend a couple of good reliable taxi driver and use them exclusively for trips around town.

Welcome to PNG, my wife and I would be glad to meet you when you get settled in,  Give me a private message later,

It depends on where you will be. POM and LAE are abit unsafe. Tabubil and Rabaul very safe. Am in Kokopo now.

Hi Leila,
I am from Rabaul.
Last month, me and my family took an Australian single female around East New Britain using our car and we visited lots of places where lots of ordinary tourists never visited.

Let me know should you need further information.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi! Im from highland of png and im living in Port Moresby and crime rate in city a not high. It ok but your safty of travel you have to arrange your accomodation of staying in hotel and there are tax operating 24hours services so i will be in the city to take you ran but if you thinging to travel out to other centres than we will arrange later.

Thank you!! Will send you a message once i finalize my trip.regards.

Thank you.will get in touch.regards

Thank you.i will definitely get in touch with you and your wife soon.thanks and regards!

Wellcome! see you on Octomber but i never always be on web side so my personal email is****************** so fill free to call me when you are here in Moresby

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Thanks!

Hi! KABAYAN

Can some one help me and give me some insight.

I will be having an interview in coming days as a bookkeeper in Evergreen Farm. Is there any one knows it. (My employer is Australian)
I Know the package is that I can bring my family?
How much is the salary of a Bookkeeper in a agricultural farm?
And it is true that my Husband can also work in the farm?
And how about the cost of living now?
How about the education of my children?
How long to process the Family visa? because right now I am employed

Can any help me

Thanks and GOD bless
Chubby PNG

HI All, i will be in PNG by November, i'll be staying and working in POM. Excited to meet ya'll!

Hello,  I can not answer some of your questions but I know having some info is better than not having any info.

To legally work and get paid, your husband must also have a work permit.  Typically the expat spouses come in on a dependent visa which does not allow them to work.  Also the work visa must be associated with the employer.  So you can not get a work visa from the farm and work elsewhere.  Make sure your employer does not expect (or try to leverage) a 'twofer" meaning he pays you and expects the husband to work also. It is not really easy to change visa and sometimes you have to leave the country so explore this up front and get the company to pay for the work visa if interested.

Cost of living in POM is high.   Typically an expat will get a package that includes: salary, housing, utilities, phone, car and fuel or at least use of a car and driver.  Usually your only expenses would be food, household  and personal items.  My wife and I can spend USD up $1000 a month,which includes  food, occasional new clothes, eating out or going to a movie, internet (which can be expensive) and other discretionary spending.

There are a number of private International schools here.  Since I do not have children with me I suggest you start another topic and ask specifically about schools and education.'

I pray everything works out the best for you.  please fee free to stay in touch or Private message me.

( I work for City Mission PNG,  A Christian Non-profit, NGO in POM.)

thank for you reply, stevehigh

I think education system of PNG is not good now. Also there is lots of school fighting around. I would not advise you to bring your family here.