Links to Information

What is it with the moderators in not allowing relevant links to web sites with pertinent information?

Often information posted by members lacks clarity, accuracy, simply myths, etc. Numerous web boards and Facebook sites want the links with accurate information including the FB On The Road in Mexico with 12000 members.

And sometimes a link is allowed but then other times results in being banned for 5 days. Moderators, you need to get your act together. I for one will not write correct, long answers regarding visas, cars, healthcare, driver's licenses, cost of living etc but will post my link. If that does not work then ban me for good.

Your actions are short-sighted to say the least.

Sonia Diaz
soniadiaz.mx

If you post your personal business link, I suspect they see it as an ad for your business, which is understandable. I have posted information links that were not business related , but just information from sites like government sites or other sites that would be helpful. Your website would be advertising you, so I think that's why you are having problems. Take your business out of the link and you will probably be fine.

Hi Sonia,

the rule is the same for everyone. All links to gov and official websites are obviously welcome.

You can add a link to your personal website on your profile and it will appear on all your posts, but we're not really happy with self promotion (or commercial promotion) on the forum.

It would be an open door to spammers (you can't imagine what we've been in terms of spam these last years). We had to deactivate signature years ago because of spam and I don't want to see this again.

This said, your website looks very interesting. Have you tried submitting it in the blog directory ?

All the best,

Julien

Hi Sonia,

let's talk about this link for instance : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 9#p2906229

Why don't you help directly here ?

And you're getting kind of insulting on this thread : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 71#2906209

Redirecting our members to your website doesn't sound like a fair approach to us. Let's try to explain it in 4-5 lines : today, creating a website, a blog, a fb page is completely free. What fb charges you for ? How do they make their money? For exposure (and trafic): you pay for giving a better exposure to your page, your event, your group, whatever...

I don't say your website isn't interesting, but redirecting our traffic to your website on all threads here isn't fair, nor respects or code of conduct https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=194230

"The forum can't be used to promote external groups or organizations. Should you want to organize gatherings/activities with the other members, kindly get in touch with us: we would be pleased to help you."

hope this makes sense to you.

If you want to set up a partnership with us, please contact us through the contact us form.

Kind regards,

Julien

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

What is it with the moderators in not allowing relevant links to web sites with pertinent information?

Often information posted by members lacks clarity, accuracy, simply myths, etc. Numerous web boards and Facebook sites want the links with accurate information including the FB On The Road in Mexico with 12000 members.

And sometimes a link is allowed but then other times results in being banned for 5 days. Moderators, you need to get your act together. I for one will not write correct, long answers regarding visas, cars, healthcare, driver's licenses, cost of living etc but will post my link. If that does not work then ban me for good.

Your actions are short-sighted to say the least.

Sonia Diaz
soniadiaz.mx

Sometimes/often there is no one right answer to the questions in the last paragraph.  Checking 3 or 4 links about reporting your change of address to INM, I found two different places on the INM website that tell you two different time limits for reporting, one 30 days the other 90 days.  I guess I'll play it safe and do it wthin 30 days anyhow.

Trying to find details about current requirements for residente temporal and residente permanente, I found significant differences at the various websites available.  No big deal for me, I have been a residente permanente for for 3 years, but to try to help others.  After a few years in Mexico, many of us find out that, no matter the item or procedure, local officials have a great deal of autonomy in interpreting and administering processes.  So, it's always best to go and ask at the office where you expect to follow procedures.

Still, I understand Sonia's complaint.  Writing out current understanding of a particular piece of business or procedure again and again can be a nuisance.  It would be much better to be able to post a link to a reliable source.

It would be much better to be able to post a link to a reliable source.

there's a difference between posting links to a reliable source and systematically posting your own website address, Facebook page as some kind of signature at the bottom of your post when signatures are not allowed (for obvious anti spam reasons). Once again, anyone can add a link to his / her website on this profile ;)

Julien wrote:

It would be much better to be able to post a link to a reliable source.

there's a difference between posting links to a reliable source and systematically posting your own website address, Facebook page as some kind of signature at the bottom of your post when signatures are not allowed (for obvious anti spam reasons). Once again, anyone can add a link to his / her website on this profile ;)

It's obvious Sonia is looking to drum up business.
I didn't realize/notice that the link to website was there.  Now I see it.

There's also copying and pasting text you've prepared and stored.

Maybe the could be a way easily to find previous answers to common questions and concerns.  I know there's a search function.  I tried "requirements Mexico change of address" and the result doesn't seem useful at all.  The closest was something on mail forwarding.

No place does INM state 30 days to report change of employer, address, marital status. It is 90 days.

All of my comments / web site they are based on real world experiences repeated over and over including processing hundreds of visas, how to nationalize cars while identifying fraud and how to avoid it, informing expats on how to obtain free healthcare, making phone calls, pitfalls on buying a used car in Mexico, benefits of a senior's discount card, employment relations / human resources, cost of living, etc. Most subjects have no relationship from a business perspective.

I do this to inform as so many myths and wrong information is posted here and elsewhere.

AS to my business I have made zero pesos through this web site but happy to inform.

I just brought up the INM website.  The portal page has changed completely since I reported what I saw.  I'll follow the "Manual Tramites" thread and see what comes up.

On the next screen, the only reference to timeframe IS 90 days.  I haven't gone to the page for applying for a service.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Give me a call
Marsh Hollenberg

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

"After a few years in Mexico, many of us find out that, no matter the item or procedure, local officials have a great deal of autonomy in interpreting and administering processes.  So, it's always best to go and ask at the office where you expect to follow procedures."

This is an extremely important point. I have just gone through the process of taking my car out of Mexico after the import expired thanks to a rigid insurance attitude and less than competent work done on the car by the company the insurance company insisted on. Message me if you want to know the name of that company. Anyway, they didn't really fix the car, so it broke down after the first extension of the permit was granted. By then I was in a different city and I had to talk to a different SAT about the legal extension once again . I observed a whole different system in a different state. So yes talk directly to the government office in the state, don't expect a link to be the total answer.

To underline your point.

I just talked to local offices of 2 Mexican Government Agencies.  The requirements of both agencies are different than what their web pages say.

I found the same to be true in Zacatecas which I just moved from.

Calling is the next best thing to going.  I'm willing to take the risk because both agencies are nearby.  Go if you possibly can.