Work Permit In Kenya

Dear all,
For those in need of work pemits here in kenya. Kindly note the following,
1] Register a company with kenya n director.
2]Account opening with a minimum deposit of about 10m.
3] Government costs of approximately kshs.350,000.
4] To achieve this within 2 weeks budget another ksh.250,000.
5] creation of jobs to kenyan youths.
6]Visa fees of 50 dollars only

for more info write to me on info at twostarsafaris dot com.

Hello annakagenya

Thank you for this useful piece of information  :top:

Regards
Kenjee

is this a business permit or work permit clarify please

It looks like its for a Class G Permit.  Additionally, I have copied this from the Immigration website, ralated to the Class G permit:

Documentary proof of capital to be invested/already invested minimum of 100,000 US dollars or equivalent in any other currency.

Registration certificate of the company OR certificate of incorporation.

Copies of personal and company PIN (Personal Identification Number) if business is running.

For renewals; audited accounts for previous 2 years and a certificate of tax compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority.
Processing Fee Kshs.10,000 non-refundable.

Fee is Kshs. 100,000/= per year or part thereof.

A  Kenyan ICT company having been operation for more than five years,
seeking new partnerships from more experienced people in the IT sector who are interested
in setting up in Kenya.

Hi
I am Arijit and have recently got an offer from a leading advertising agency in Nairobi. My company is supposed to get my work permit done once I land up there. I want to know what is the process of getting a work permit in Nairobi?
Do I land up on a tourist/business visa with an invitation letter from my company and then start the process for a work permit through my company? How long does this process take?
Please share any details you can.
Thanks
Arijit

yes Ariji, you will be using the tourist visa for the time you will searching for the work permit. The company will give you necessary documents to assist on issuance of the permit.
Welcome..

Thank you so much annakagenya!

your welcome ariji.

Above reply is misleading. It is illegal to work without having a work permit beforehand. While you can come on tourist visa to pursue issuance of work permit, you can not actually work. However, this is not necessary as generally the follow up is done by the employer through their consultants/agents.
So be careful. You should not be leaving an evidence behind that you were working even before the issuance of the work permit.

Tulda,
there is no where it's stated he will be working on tourist visa,
He will only pursue his work permit on a tourist visa. We are not hear to mislead anyone.
Thanks for your comment anyway.

annakagenya wrote:

Tulda,
there is no where it's stated he will be working on tourist visa,
He will only pursue his work permit on a tourist visa. We are not hear to mislead anyone.
Thanks for your comment anyway.

Why is he required to come here to pursue his work permit anyway? The work permit is applied by and pursued by the employer themselves.

Turda,
Coming by choice, He can come seeing you as well.

Thanks for your clarification.
I am guessing I will be working on a special pass, till the time work permit gets done.
Thank you

Hi Tulda
I think I will be working on a Special Pass which is valid for 3 months, till the time Work Permit is issued. It will be taken care of by my employer. Thanks for the discussion.
Cheers!

Hi Arvijit,
If you have a special pass before you land you can be on a special project for a short period ,this is the pupose of special pass , i understand ,but that is limited till you get a work permit and then apply for alien card and get the same.You need to have a copy of your alien card always with you .
I would suggest that you start working only when you receive a special pass.YOU CAN VISIT FOR NON WORK PURPOSES ANY NUMBER OF TIMES.TRUST THE SAME IS CLEAR

Thanks Arjun
I am absolutely clear.

Hi all
Need info on how to obtain special pass in Nairobi n how long does it take?
Any info on whom to contact will b helpful.
Oh by the way v r on tourist visa
TIA

Hi
Pl revert why you need a special pass? normally sp pass as they mention is given for a temporary project/work assignment and is very disretionary.If you are on a long term assignment you need to take a work permit

Thanx for ur revert.......
I knw abt tht but since v hve applied for work permit in the meantime need special pass for my child admission tht is valid for 3mnths. On tourist visa admission is not possible.

Dear

Please tell me one thing. If I wish to have Trading company or Import Export company in Kenya, I have to invest USD100000 in Kenya ? PLease tell me more.
Best regards
Sunil

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

I am an Indian. I want to start trading business in Nairobi, Kenya. I worked in China for more than a decade. I worked in many different products including Bed sets, carpets, blankets, garments, Socks, Spare parts etc. What is the scope of business in Nairobi, Kenya. I can deal in more products too. Should I stay in Nairobi or Mombasa ? Which is best place for me in Kenya to stay ? Do Zambians etc also come to Kenya for purchase of goods ? Are trading agents are available in Nairobi ? Can you suggest me some one who can work with me as an agent on commission basis in sales  ? I am coming in Nairobi on 1st Oct 2015. Please suggest me. If I want stay there one month then my brother stay one month, If I want work like this and want have company there, what are the charges and do I have to invest USD100000 in Kenya for company registration ?
Sunil
New Delhi
India

Dear sir I want wornk permit for keniya soon as possible

Hi Lalji.. Do you have an employer here in Kenya? if you do,, then they apply for the work permit for you, you can't do it yourself. Or you could invest in Kenya on the investors category..

No sir im not in keniya iam in india but I want move keniya or neirobi for work.  Pls help me how to apply ..

You need to find a job in a Company here depending on your Industry. They will interview you and possibly process your visa.. Perhaps you could visit Kenya as a tourist and learn more about the different companies and what they do.... perhaps some of them might be hiring people with your expertise. ... If you are lucky you might get the company to process your permits.. But you will not be able to work on a visitor's visa.. It is not a simple process but that's my take on it..

May I know some company name  thanks

Hi.. Lalji. I don't know any at the moment but will find some job sites if that helps

Thanks lot..

Hi, I would like to suggest that you partner with a local kenya company. Then you can supply the  goods and the local company do the sales in kenya..

thank you very much

lalji17 did you get job in Nairobi yet?

Hello, how easy is it for a foreigner to get an admin job here. I would love to work and able to start immediately

Hello, you would need to obtain a work permit for any type of work, including self employment, here and that is the main obstacle. To work without a permit is illegal. You can't assume that no one will check!

The process is as follows.  You need to secure a job offer, then your employer applies for the work permit. The employer should be able to evidence that you have a set of skills not readily accessible within the Kenyan workforce.  For admin work, this would be tough to prove. The problem is that there is a high number of skilled, but unemployed Kenyan workers.  The government is concerned about this and has recently announced a tightening up of the issuance of work permits to foreigners.  Although this is focused on NGO's, it will probably affect other aspects of the labour market. 

In my opinion, admin work is unlikely to qualify you for a work permit. However, With immigration there has been a history of accepting bribes to bend the rules. The size of the bribe reflects the level of risk and for this type of job, is likely to be large, if indeed this would even be considered currently, given the governments focus. Consider that the work permit cost is Ksh 200,000. A bribe might be the same again........so a very very costly route to keeping busy.

Assuming you can apply for a work permit, you can expect to wait 2 to 3 months, possibly even longer, so an immediate start is not practical.

Hello,

The information  you gave about the work permit is for those who want start a business or for those want to work as empmplees?

Hello,

My advice (post above) is for those who want to work as employees.  To clarify, The requirements for those wanting to start a business and legally work within it are set out below (copied from the immigration website).

Documentary proof of capital to be invested/already invested minimum of 100,000 US dollars or equivalent in any other currency.

Registration certificate of the company OR certificate of incorporation.

Copies of personal and company PIN (Personal Identification Number) if business is running.

For renewals; audited accounts for previous 2 years and a certificate of tax compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority.
Processing Fee Kshs.10,000 non-refundable.

Fee is Kshs. 100,000/= per year or part thereof.

In reality, due to rampant corruption, a sizeable bribe might be needed on top of the usual fees. It's wrong, but the reality is that officials can and will complicate your application, in terms of time scale, or detail, unless you bribe them. For work permits, expect the bribe to be in the region on Ksh 100,000 ( they know how much you want it!).

Hello it's very easy to get a work permit in Kenya. I am Damaris Moronge, a citizen of Kenya.
Contact me ** and I'll be glad to help you.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : We invite you to share contact infos only in private please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Damaris; my experience is just the opposite. I don't think that it's easy at all to obtain a work permit, at least without providing a large bribe and/or knowing someone in the right places. 

I once tried to obtain an investors work permit and despite meeting all the requirements, barriers were put in the way until I just withdrew the application.

To get a work permit, you need a job and these are not that easy to get for expats and becoming more difficult.

For example, in my profession, there are many unemployed graduates and as a health professional, I also need to register.

Hi all,
thats not all coerrect what you say!

"thats not all coerrect what you say!"

Why don't you share your knowledge, Beo!