Making phone calls in Panama

Hi,

When settling in Panama, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Panama?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Why would you want a land line?  The vast majority of people use cell phones and they work well.

In some areas it would cost a huge amount to get a land line run to your home if the cabling isn't already installed, whereas cell phone coverage is very good in most areas where homes are located.

Many expats use internet services for phone lines too. Among them are Skype, Magicjack and many others. Because of that, land lines are not normally required.

HI Oldcameraman,

We launched this topic so as to gather the maximum information for our Members and thank you very much for sharing your post with us :)

Much thanks

Maximilien

Our furnished rental in Panama City included a land line phone in the apartment and the cost was included in the rent.   It was great having a land line phone from Day One until we selected a mobile phone service.  The land line is good for local calls, long-distance is extra. 

This is one of the reasons that living in Panama City in a modern furnished rental is so convenient.  The rent includes the land line service, excellent cable & internet service, water, all maintenance, a free shuttle van, on-call doctors, and full concierge service.  The only extra was the electric bill which was low due to the building's cooling system on the roof that aided the A/C.

The basic cable TV has some interesting channels that pick up US shows like "Survivor", "Big Bang Theory", "Amazing Race", etc.  The internet speed is fast and constant.

Landlines are relatively cheap if coupled with you Cable TV.  Check the websites of Cableonda or Cable and Wireless.

Get MagicJack plus if you plan to make a lot of calls to the U.S. or Canada,

You can get a triple package with CableOnda: cable, 15mbps internet and landline phone for $100 or so. You can cut the HBO etc. and use NETFLIX for movies. There are lots of choices.

:D I have to laugh, sorry. I never thought I could do without a landline phone since we had the same number in the US for 20+ years. Here? Well first where we live there is no such thing (in the country but close to Boquete).

Now the mobile operators, while different than you may know, are all owned by BIG companies - Telefonica, Cable and Wirelees, and  Bellsouth ( but that doesn't sound right at the moment).

So having said that, our cellular phone  costs, with data are cheap here! However, what isn't cheap since we don't have " cables" of any  kind is Internet. It may even out to what we paid in the US if you look at those services as a pair.

However, the quality of service is definitely not the same - it's part of the adventure I guess. I use Skpe and pay for a US number and unlimited calls to the US. For both, I think ~$150/yr..

So average monthly budget for what I explained, not including Skype, is ~ $200/mo.  Satellite Internet is expensive and we don't have a choice - that part is $150/mo.

Hope this helps!

I have an iPhone 6 and would like to keep my number in Panama.  I currently use AT&T.  Is it possible w/o the International fees?  i.e new provider, but same number?

Are you referring to a Panama number you have now? If not unless you have an International plan with ATT you can not use a Panama provider with a US number.

Thanks.  What about bringing my iPhone to Panama?  Can I bring it to a local provider for new service (phone number).  Are the charges to US expensive from Panama?

Yes... you can get your phone switched here. I did this with my 5s a few months ago.
Is your ATT contract month to month? If not you cannot switch it till your contract is up.
If it is month to month you can unlock it through the ATT web site then choose a Panama provider, my case Cable & Wireless.
They will set you up with a new number. Get a data and phone plan.

FYI... ATT charged me $95 to unlock my phone. I called and complained and they dropped the charge to $25.

Get Whats App for free text and voice messages with anyone else that has whats app. Almost everyone in Panama has it. 
Get the Magic Jack app for free calls to the US and Canada.

Very helpful.  Thanks! :)

You can obtain a prepaid SIM card for about $1.06 at Cable & Wireless and purchase time and data.   There are many small stores throughout Panama that will also sell you a SIM card but the prices may be more than going directly to the cell phone wireless companies.

You will get a Panama telephone number.  The prepaid SIM cards have expiration periods (up to a year?).  Once the SIM card expires you will have to purchase a new card and get a new cell phone number.

I did this with an IPhone 6.  It works well.

Have you heard of Republic Wireless?  You can buy a new Motorola smartphone from them and they have a $5 Wi-Fi only plan that will give you a USA number with unlimited talk and text on Wi-Fi anywhere in the world.  When you visit the USA, you can change the plan to include cell service, and change back then leaving.  Motorola E 2nd generation smartphone is $129 on their site (you have to use their proprietary phone).  We have used it in South America and Asia and it works flawlessly.  You could port your iPhone number over to retain it, then use the iPhone to get a Panamanian cell number.

By the way that charge from ATT should have been FREE. I two phones unlock for free. Please go back and get your 25.00 dollars back.

I probably shouldn't comment since a majority of my career, I worked for " Batwings" aka MOT and supported the Latin America region.

At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with it being a Motorala phone. CAVEAT- as long as it is not a CDMA phone!

When you used the word  "Proprietary" , that sends off signals if something that will be phase out quickly..