Where should we buy real estate in Panama?

Wanting to look at real estate in Panama. We built a house in Caye Caulker Belize. Its a nice island, but we are thinking about retiring in about 4 years. We are thinking we should be closer to hospitals etc.
We think we would like to be on the Carribean side, but don't know anything about Panama.

Panama is about the same size as South Carolina but wow is it diverse! How far are you comfortable with being away from a hospital that has at a minimum emergency care? IMHO, that's how I would approach this.

After that , you can find about anything you want. Personally the Caribbean side (pretty much Bocas del Toro) is nice for a get away but not somewhere I would want to live but to each his own.

You must not mind the hot humid climate since you have a place in Belize - so there are many options. Would suggest researching this small but diverse country.

Thank you

RENT FIRST!! You say you don't know much about Panama... GO there, rent a car at the airport and spend at least 3 weeks driving through and staying in it's different towns. You say you're interested in the Caribbean, that would be Colon or Bocas Del Toro. Colon is very high crime and Bocas isn't for everyone, that's why you should vacation first. They don't call it the mosquito coast for nothing...but how would you know that if you don't go and spend some time. Then, no matter what anyone there promises you RENT! FIRST! Buying right away is the biggest mistake new comers make.

Thank You

Try Chitre or Coronado area. Charter flights go into Coronado!

Hola from on the ground here in Panama!  There is definitely a process for exploring Panama from the perspective of potential residency, and I recommend you start by getting very clear about your lifestyle and social preferences - and have to have's.  Create a check list!  That makes it easy to stay objective so you don't get carried away by the passion of others - particularly real estate agents whose goal it is to make a sale!

Mind you, I do work with a licensed broker in Panama, but my specialty is matching lifestyles to location across the country.  Before I ever show my clients a piece of property, I do an assessment that helps me to identify appropriate locations and neighborhoods that best map to my clients preferences.  Through my Exploration Toolkits, I equip my clients with needed information, tools and resources to independently explore different areas to experience and decide on one or two locations that they love and that most meet their requirements (back to that checklist!).  Clients who want more guidance typically opt for my personalized Real Estate Tours, which features both neighborhood tours and property showings combined.

If you are ready to buy, this is a great way to ensure you are making a good decision.  Also, nothing wrong with renting for 6 - 12 mos. to test the waters.  It adds some risk of price increases that should be consider, and if that is a concern doing your due diligence is all the more important.  Finding and working with a trustworthy team dedicated to your success is imperative!

Good for you for reaching out and doing your due diligence!  P.S.  If this is your first trip to Panama, do NOT rent a car from Tocumen (airport) to drive yourself into the city!  A taxi ride into the city is $30 and will be the best first investment you make for yourself here!

Best of luck....Sandie

kcredneck wrote:

Wanting to look at real estate in Panama. We built a house in Caye Caulker Belize. Its a nice island, but we are thinking about retiring in about 4 years. We are thinking we should be closer to hospitals etc.
We think we would like to be on the Carribean side, but don't know anything about Panama.

I doubt you'll want to be on the Caribbean side of Panama:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 05#2880254

For gosh sake, rent at least six months to a year fulltime before buying.  Buying is easy, selling is difficult.  There is no "hot" market you need to worry about missing out on and don't let anyone (real estate persons typically) tell you otherwise.  What you find "quaint" in your first visits to Panama may likely annoy the heck out of you after a while.  Good luck.

If you go to Chitre where I live, I'll be delighted to help you.
My name is Jack, and I have been here 8 years, can tell you the good points and the weak points.
My wife is an attorney at law here.
You can reach my on my cell if you wish     xxx

Always glad to help

Jack

By the way I am 75 years old Biomedical Engineer (Ph.D) from Canada

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please recommend you wife in the business directory + do not post your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the Housing in Panama section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@kcredneck
nowhere in the world you will find a
beautiful ocean, tranquillity and freedom like in belize

This all makes me think of a video I saw a while back. I think this is the one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A35dX8ZUAQI   

Listen to the people above. Do not buy anything until you have lived here for at least 6-12 months and the people trying to sell you something, take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Closer to hospitals, etc, wouldn't be the Caribbean side. It would be in the area of one of the bigger cities.

Come down for a visit and see how it feels and go from there. Don't buy anything!

If you buy anywhere outside of Panama City, beware, the land is mostly untitled and there is right of possession.  If you buy pre-construction, beware, 30% of projects never finish and the developers disappear with your money.  WHY are you even considering Panama?  Colombia is superior in every way.  Many large cities with great medical care.  Just avoid Bogota, for any number of reasons.   Medellin, Cartagena, Cali and Santa Marta are all lovely cities.  Colombia is a first world country with third world prices, Panama is a third world country with first world prices.  They produce nothing, the national economy is based upon the canal and tourism.  PLEASE do yourself a favor and investigate other options first.  But if you must, bigger and better hospitals are to be had in Panama City than on the Caribeanen coast.   And don't ever buy "on paper", that is, something that's not built yet.

Bogota and Medellin are mega cities
everybody is moving to these cities or running to Panama to find work
Cartagena and Santa Marta are very hot and humid
Colombia has many landslides roads are sometimes suddenly  cutoff
Banking is complicated the Colombian peso keeps dropping
Be careful lots of credit card fraud
Colombians are friendly and well educated
Hotels and restaurants are nice, clean and cheap the food is great

And Panama is not hot and humid?

Tough1: Once correction-Untrue that most property outside the city is not titled.

And Colombia has a lot of poverty.

Depends where in Panama.

The Caribbean is nice to visit like others have said, but there are many areas that are still very underdeveloped. There are many areas along the pacific that are equally as beautiful, as someone said Corodado is nice and close to the new airport. Here in playa Blanca we are even closer to the airport (about 10 minutes away or less) with many options to chose from. If you are ever interested in taking a look at the community here I would be more than happy to show you around.

Colombians have invaded Panama due to their poor economy.  If u plan to move there,  just ensure you have a good pension or a business.

@celmira9
Colombias economy is much better
they have all kinds of products and tourism

Therefore, they have invaded Panama.