Overstaying tourist visa

Where do you pay the visa extension?
Do you have to pay cash or can you use a credit card?

IF you are talking about extending your visa I believe you have to do that in Santo Domingo.  Currently just better to pay the overstay fee and if you are going to be a regular here for large chunks of time then think a about getting your residency started when you get back home.

Bob K

Thanks Bob
We are currently staying in Luperon for 2 months.
We are loving it

Just pay the overstay fee and don't fret it.

Bob K

Quick question for you:

Can overstaying a toursit visa impact any future resiency visa applications? I plan on moving to Santo Domingo for a minimum of one year, will then return to Canada, but plan on applying for residency and citizenship in the future.

Short answer ...NO
Long answer....NO

Bob K

Good answers.........there is no evidence to suggest any impact.  Could that change in the future........not likely.

I am a trinidadian and i over stayed my visa in haiti i was only allowed 3months ive been here for 4years now i want to travel back to trinidad i want to know if its just like dr i just pay for my overstay fees and wont have a problem to return back to haiti i would like all the info i can get

Are  you asking about overstay fees or issues in Haiti or here in the DR.

Here pretty clear cut you leave and pay $16,000 RD for up to 4 years and $20,000 if a bit over that.

Haiti I have no idea

Bob K

You really need to go to the Haiti forum OR  ask the immigration office in Haiti. This is the Dominican Republic forum.

Is this still current as of June 19, 2015?

What is the gov't website you are using?

WE have posted the updated rates more then once here.

Ok for those who cannot find it here is the current rates for overstay periods:
1 day to 3 months: 2,500 RD$ (was 800 RD$)
3 to 9 months: 4,000 RD$ (was 1,000 RD$)
9 to 12 months: 5,000 RD$ (was 2,500 RD$)
12 to 18 months: 6,500 RD$ (was 4,000 RD$)
18 to 24 months: 8,000 RD$ (was 5,000 RD$)
24 to 30 months: 9,500 RD$ (was 6,500 RD$)
30 to 36 months: 11,000 RD$ (was 9,000 RD$)
36 to 48 months: 16,000 RD$ (was 14,000 RD$)
48 to 60 months: 20,000 RD$ (new category, was 14,000 RD$)
60 months to 6 years: 30,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
6 to 7 years: 40,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
7 to 8 years: 50,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
8 to 9 years: 60,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)

Bob K

what is the current fees for overstaying a visa?

dominican6 welcome to the forum.  Just look at the post immediately before yours (#94) and the schedule is clearly listed with the new fees, as of October of 2014 as well as the old ones.

Bob K

Hello,
I have read through the posts on this thread and very much appreciate the information.  Thank you!

Question:
Are these fees per person?  And are the fees the same for children as they are for adults.

I have a daughter with her family (2 adults, 3 children under 5) who have been there for a year and 3 mos. and just found out they will have to pay $800 at the airport in order to leave in a couple months.  I saw this blog and thought I would see if this is an accurate amount as it seems like a lot of money to a non-traveler such as myself.  They have been volunteering at a US based school there and evidently no one told them (or anyone else there) about these fees for overstaying their tourist visa.  It sounds like this was not being enforced until recently as there have been people coming and going from this school for a few years now and it sounds like they have not been charged the overstay fees.  Is this possible?

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Yes it is per person and  children are the same regardless of age.

Yes, this is accurate for a tourist visa.  If your daughter is on a work visa it might be different.

Overstaying a work visa is then treated as an overstay fine BUT I do not know from what date they calculate that one.

Neither of them is on a work visa.  Both just have the tourist card one gets at the airport upon arrival.

And I remember someone on this thread suggesting that maybe this was a way to get long termers to get their residency visa, which would be what I would have thought, too... Except... one of the people volunteering where my daughter and her family are staying applied for it 3 years ago and still has not received it.  That would seem to suggest that they really don't want to give out residency visas.  I don't know... I am glad I don't have to concern myself with it.   :)

Thanks for your answers!   :)

Actually residency is easy to get and usually takes 3-6 months to get once the application is complete.  So if your friends are waiting 3 years then either there lawyer has scammed them (happens often) or they never completed the application process.

Yes you over stay your tourist visa you pay... end of story

Bob K

Thank you! I have passed on your comment.  I think they need to do some follow up on it.   :)

I'd like to know what the cost is for application and renewal of a residency visa.  Including attorney fees if applicable. I'm talking about the complete cost for everything required.

For renewal we spent about $800 a person.

Bob K

It depends on a lot of variables.  Lawyer fees vary. Overstay fine will vary. Depends if gov't fees are included in lawyer fees and can depend on type of visa.  Retiree. Investor. Regular where you need a guarantor.

My lawyer charges 1200 for regular plus overstay fee.

Yes for a new residency our lawyer is also $1200 US

Bob K

Here are the new fees (as of almost a year ago):

1 day to 3 months: 2,500 RD$ (was 800 RD$)
3 to 9 months: 4,000 RD$ (was 1,000 RD$)
9 to 12 months: 5,000 RD$ (was 2,500 RD$)
12 to 18 months: 6,500 RD$ (was 4,000 RD$)
18 to 24 months: 8,000 RD$ (was 5,000 RD$)
24 to 30 months: 9,500 RD$ (was 6,500 RD$)
30 to 36 months: 11,000 RD$ (was 9,000 RD$)
36 to 48 months: 16,000 RD$ (was 14,000 RD$)
48 to 60 months: 20,000 RD$ (new category, was 14,000 RD$)
60 months to 6 years: 30,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
6 to 7 years: 40,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
7 to 8 years: 50,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
8 to 9 years: 60,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)

So your first year is actually close to $111 US

Bob K

Am new to this. We spent a week in Las Terrenas in June. Flew from T.O. but to my knowledge didn't have any kind of "visa". We were trying to check things out and looking for a longer term stay for the spring of 2016. We have decided to go to DR for  about 10 weeks….do we need a visa?, a tourist card? How do we get them. We will be coming thru Miami for our longer stay in Feb. Anything else we should know about requirements for about 3 months stay?
Thanks

If you flew in from Canada many of the chargers include your tourist visa in your fare and they gave you a card on the plane that you handed in when you cleared customs.

Coming from the US you will need to purchase a tourist card for $10 either when you land or on line before you get here.

Then you will face the overstay fees as posted above.  Remember the fee starts on day one not at the end of the month granted by the tourist card. So if you are here for less than 90 days TOTAL your fee will be $2500 pesos to be paid at the airport when you leave.

Bob K

Thanks Bob, appreciate the information. They gave us a card on the plane, now that I remember. We landed in Samana and then took transport to Las Terrenas. This time we are arriving in Santo Domingo from Miami. We will overnight there and then figure out how to get to Las Terrenas the next day. There must be a bus or whatever from the airport, any thoughts? Looking forward to getting there. Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter,  there is a bus that goes  from  just East of Santo Domingo but not actually from the airport.  It is Caribe Tours bus -  you can look them up on the internet to find schedule and cost.  Its not expensive!

Thank you, will look the tour bus on line and see if I can get it looked after sooner than later. Best, P

I don't know if your daughter would be considered a different category, but my daughter and I left with my husband on Sept 22 after living in the DR (Santiago) since June 4, 2025 and because my daughter holds dual citizenship, only I had to pay. And I can attest that I only had to pay $6500 pesos as stated for the year-year and six months. I was ready for it and paid it after entering the airport and everything was just fine.

Dual citizens don't pay.  Dominicans do not pay overstay fines.....LOL.

This is out of date information. The new schedule of fees can be found here http://ourtropicallife.com/dominican-re … ines-fees/

These were updated on  a thread about the fees.

Actually the fees posted on post #109 above are CORRECT and ACCURATE

Bob K

I just heard a rumour that the tourist card given at the airport is now good for 60 days instead of just the usual 30 days. Has anyone heard anything about that?