Is local bank account needed right away?

I posted a [way too long I think newbie intro] and figured I should start posting some specific questions. I'm moving to Belize next month (Nov) and will get someplace temporary until I explore and find where I want to settle.

I setup a US account with HSBC and they can help me do an international account for Belize. I'm wondering how important this is during my first few months while I find a long-term rental in an area I like. I have automatic deposits to this account. Is there a real benefit to a "local" account in reducing exchange rates or fees charged for using a US debit/check visa card?

Thanks in advance for the info.

BobbyG  :cheers:

Hmmm.  Good question, BobbyG.  I use both.  My main account is in Oregon, and I have a local account in Corozal, Belize.  I use Atlantic Bank.  I think there might ba an HSBC here, not sure.  I know we have a Scocia Bank.  Most expats use Atlantic Bank because they are friendly to Americans and Canadians.
But that's Corozal.  You may find more options in Belize City, Belmopan, Orange Walk, and others.
I like Atlantic Bank because I can pay my Electric and Internet online.  don't have to travel anywhere to do anything.  For that I have a BZD account.  In Corozal there are places where you can change USD to BZD.  In Oregon through Wells Fargo Bank, I can change BZD back into USD.  'course I don't use Wells Fargo in the US, so I change my BZD back into USD at Atlantic Bank.  You can spen your USD here without changing to BZD.  I have yet to find a place that does not take USD.  Hope this helps a little.

Thanks so much mbarlow. Yes it helps a lot. My main concern with using my us card in belize is what the bank is going to hammer me if they change the transaction to BZD during the process. I believe HSBC has a relationship with Atlantic Bank. In many countries they partner with a local bank and handle the process of opening the account.

I'll probably go ahead and open a Belize account with them just to be on the safe side. They don't charge anything to transfer between "their" accounts (even if it's a relationship account) with my type of account. And I can do it back. Either way they won't charge me an exchange fee of any sort.

I figure wherever I wind up I'll try to live a "local" as I can. I've always found folks in other countries appreciate you're trying it their way, at least sometimes. Of course, I don't know how I'll figure out a way to sneak to the fridge late at night for a quick ham sandwich or chips!

I'll be posting more ?s you can probably help me out with.

Cheers and see you soon!
Bob

Glad to be of help, Bob.

Setting up a local Belize account is a nightmare. If you intend to do this you will need to bring lots of paperwork with you. For example you will need an original reference letter from you current bank to show that you are of good standing and have managed you account in an appropriate manner. You will need copies of utilities bills from your current address and a personal reference. Saying that its quite easy to work without a bank initially as long as you have access to an ATM and can withdraw cash. Most things still work on cash in Belize

The post by MartyP was good info.   To open an account you will need
             Passport
             Utility Bill from a U.S. address with your name on it
             Letter of reference from at least one bank where you have had a banking relationship for at least two years.  The person signing the bank letter must be a ranking official, not a clerk and must have a valid means of contact.  The Belize bank WILL contact the letter writer to verify validity.
             A second letter of reference,  same requirements as above, either from a different bank or from an attorney, CPA or similar business relationship.  They will be contacted to verify.
             These are minimum requirements you should be prepared to meet.  They will have a handful of forms to fill out also.

Bank account:  I did all of this online before I came to Belize.  I scanned copies, copied and pasted bank account info, scanned my passport, scanned utility bills, then sent it all to Atlantic Bank.  But their main office in Belize City is now closed as they closed their USD accounts.  Did that 3 years ago.  Not a good sign.
I think you may be able to go online and chat with a rep from Atlantic Bank.  Don't know about Scotia, but may be possible.

You can go to www.atlabank.com and get a lot of info and even chat with a rep.

Here is the response directly from Atlantic Bank, Belize.
:18:19 Marcia Barlow: I have an account with Atlantic Bank. I am online with some Canadians who would like to move here, but they need to know what paperwork to submit to open an account. Also, can they do this online, as I did some years ago?
22:19:23 Marcia Barlow: As for me, I am QUP. I would like to become a resident at some point, but this isn't about me.
22:19:36 CS Rep 8: If they would like to open an account prior to their arrival, they will need to call the bank at (501)223-4123 and a customer service officer can further assist them with the account applications via email
22:19:43 Marcia Barlow: Sorry, that should be QRP
22:19:50 CS Rep 8: To open the account you will need a valid passport, utility bill (proof of address from your country), and two reference letters, each from different financial institution with whom you have a credit relationship for at least 18 months. The letters should be in English, on the bank's official letter head, signed by an authorized officer and include the following information:

A. date the account was opened;
B. type of business you have with the bank (checking, savings, loan, CD, Credit Card, etc);
C. the average balance kept in the account; and
D. any other information showing that the account has been handled to the bank's satisfaction.

If you are unable to obtain two financial reference letters, then you may provide one bank reference letter and one character reference letter. Please note that the character reference letter cannot be from a relative. The character reference can be a prominent member in your community, for example a priest or lawyer. It should include the following information:

A. length of time the person knows you, which should be no less than 18 months; and
B. details of the relation (i.e. friend, neighbor, teacher, etc, but not your contractor or landlord) and any other related useful information
C. provide contact information

Wow!( What a bunch of Bureaucratic BS :o

Don't want a loan...just have money available for local needs>?

Yes, I definitely agree! I understand laws to protect against terrorism and such but, it's a bit ridiculous when you're not making large deposits and working to be a good resident of their country. There are too many other ways to deal with money. :)

I believe in order to open a bank account in the US, as a non resident and without a social security number - the requirements are almost the same.

Edited double post.

Hi,

I have been in Belize for almost 5 years and do not have a local bank account. i have an account with a bank in Ga. and cash one check per month from it to live on. I pay no fees and get Belize cash from that one check I cash. Yes, their are ways around the system, which work very well for me.

You do not need a local account, but one would come in handy if you want to write checks to pay your bills every month. I just pay cash for everything and save lots of money on exchange fees.

Good luck on your move.

Stan Allen

As Brigette states below, the requirements for a non-resident to open an account in the U.S. are very similar to those of Belize.  On an international perspective, Belize is not among the the most difficult countries to open accounts, there are several countries that make the requirements in Belize see mas simple as, well as simple as most Americans believe things are in the U.S. 

I always have to smile and shake my head at the hipocracy of arrogant Americans who start by saying they want to live like the natives but then they complain about how bad things are in places they have never been.  If dealing with setting up a bank account is such a problem for you there are many other things that will bother you even more.