My experience in egypt

Hello all expact

My name is sudhir, and i come from india.
I had visited egypt from 16nth sept, to 25th sep 2015. It was a business/leisure trip.

I was so excited to see the oldest civilization in the world, however all my expectations turned out to be fragile, when i met the people over there in cairo, downtown, haram, etc.
None of the persons i meet in egypt has got the courtesy, humbleness, hospitality, and i am just running short of the adjectives.

whenever they come to knw that its a tourist, they start there task, to make things difficult for you. all are behind looting the tourist and taking a shit out of them.

When i visited pyramids, i met couple of guides over there, trust me they where so rude, arrogant, and misbehaved like anything. the problem was i dint took them as my guide. it was really a very bad experience.

suggestions to all the expacts visiting egypt.

Apart from pyramids, the mummies, alexandria, the country has shit things to offer.  so kindly dont put your life at risk only for this three things. i know many of the people might not like my post, however none of the things i wrote here is wrong. its all my experience.

thanks
good luck
sudhir

I live here and I also have the same issue, I am from New Zealand living here with my husband who lived in cairo before we were together, so he knows the culture and people, he tells me not to trust them, they are all liars and thieves. Every day I have issues with taxi drivers. Today I got in a taxi asked him to take me to tagamo el khames and he drove the wrong direction, I keep asking where he was going and he said this is the way, I said "no your going the wrong way!" Then he decided to stop and put some gas in the car. The meter was still running and the meter jumped from 3LE to 13LE within a second! Then he proceeded to go the wrong way. I was mad got out of the car in the middle of the road. It cost me 20LE to go 2km/h the wrong way! I didn't want to pay, but he kept holding me by the arm! My husband had incident with his landlord who wouldn't give his insurance back for home rent when he had to leave egypt, so my husband decided not to pay last month rent instead. The landlord locked the gates so he couldn't move out! And demanded last month rent. She blocked his passport from exiting country. He payed the last month. But the landlord kept all his furniture and belongings in the house.

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : pls note that the last part of your post was moderated

Hello Aaria

Thanks for your reply.
I can certainly understand the plight you and your husband might have gone through. Well, at this point i can just pray you both have a smooth time in egypt.

Try to use this tricks if its possible for you.
I tried to learn the basic arabic, such as- the currency denominations, what you call if you want to go somewhere, and i just tried to pretend as if i am the local. Believe me it worked during the end of my journey. Taxi drivers wont trouble you a lot if at least you learn basic Egyptian currency denomination, and blab blab.

Second- Never to talk too much with the locals, or never eye contact them.

This are just few tips you can try to use.

Thanks
sudhir- Indian by birth, Global by heart.
India- God's own country.

even some arab face the similar situations believe me.
you have to understand many people there are poor and even under poverty line so they need money so bad and some of them take advantage from tourists and non egyptains

Lying, cheating and stealing have no excuse. You think arabs are the only people that live under the poverty line? I'm Pacific Islander I know what poverty is. I've lived that life.

I don't want to judge people who is stealing and lying because it is not my business but based on what I experienced in Egypt I agree with him. Egyptains even they can treat egyptains like that and not say the real price....

this msg for aria
remember you are pregnant so please don't be mad and nervous at the taxi drivers or anything else. One time I stoped a taxi to move to the other street it was so close and I paid like 10 EP. For a car why don't you buy one and please let me know what happen about renting did you find a house yet? because Im wondering if you can find a good place to rent in that price

redrose180 wrote:

even some arab face the similar situations believe me.
you have to understand many people there are poor and even under poverty line so they need money so bad and some of them take advantage from tourists and non egyptains

There is nothing to understand. Haram is haram. The end does not justify the means.

you are right
we should not steal and lie as God orderd us in the ten commadments

sudhir_indian wrote:

Hello all expact

My name is sudhir, and i come from india.
I had visited egypt from 16nth sept, to 25th sep 2015. It was a business/leisure trip.

I was so excited to see the oldest civilization in the world, however all my expectations turned out to be fragile, when i met the people over there in cairo, downtown, haram, etc.
None of the persons i meet in egypt has got the courtesy, humbleness, hospitality, and i am just running short of the adjectives.

whenever they come to knw that its a tourist, they start there task, to make things difficult for you. all are behind looting the tourist and taking a shit out of them.

When i visited pyramids, i met couple of guides over there, trust me they where so rude, arrogant, and misbehaved like anything. the problem was i dint took them as my guide. it was really a very bad experience.

suggestions to all the expacts visiting egypt.

Apart from pyramids, the mummies, alexandria, the country has shit things to offer.  so kindly dont put your life at risk only for this three things. i know many of the people might not like my post, however none of the things i wrote here is wrong. its all my experience.

thanks
good luck
sudhir

Well you should of known about the general attitude of Arabs towards Asians and Africans. It can be quite unpleasant. Certainly not surprising in the least. You clearly didn't prepare for this mentally.

Hello,

If you are a tourist in Egypt you will be 100% robbed by a taxi driver and 99.99% robbed by others. Its hard to find good people who would treat none Egyptians well.

This also happens in other 3rd world countries by the way, but with different levels.

Keep feed back coming, and thanks for sharing.

most of taxi drivers ( if not all)  are rude .... with egyptian or not egyptian

and what happens with you , happen also with egyptian ..................   bad people don't differntiate between egyptains and foreigners .......... it is their morals and values

Hi my name is Angelica. I am from Australia and I was in Egypt in the 1st may 2015 and left on September 26th 2015; and I left not by choice but for financial reasons. I was travelling with another female. We had been travelling already for 4 months; and only Planned to stay in Egypt for 5 days. However the moment I arrived and done some exploring after 2 days, I was in love! In love with the country; the kind people the roughness of the streets and buildings, the incredible Nile river the hustle and bustle in talaat harb and all down town. I was in love of the feeling i got from only being there for only 2 days and being a traveller for many years now; Egypt felt like another home for me which hasn't happened for a long time. It felt like a little Italy in its own way.  I also met Some amazing people, people who became now  the dearest friends in my life. I also met the man of my dreams who I now adore unconditionally. I was told the men are horrible there.. Wrong! He treats me like a queen. Like I've never been treated before and made me love Egypt even more. I was sad to leave. But I am doing all I can to return back to my friends my amazing husband and family. So my experience was amazing and speechless. I love all about Egypt; even the stuffy metro and and the heat! Such a beautiful, peaceful, humble country.

Sorry to read your experience in Egypt!

I believe as American living in Egypt your experience could have completely the opposite if you paid extra in USD.

Egyptians are generally very polite and kind unless you don't pay enough. Therefore, either you come to Egypt to SPEND lots of money or don't make your trip.

Zachary

Hello sweet Angelica,

You're an angel. I went through what you said literally falls NGOs in love with Egypt for the exact reasons you just mentioned.

It will be an honor to meet you with my family, here in Egypt. *and my name is M Zak Khalil (professor of medicine & consultant cardiologist).

Enjoy Egypt!

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Gentlemen,

I am board certified consultant cardiologist and professor of medicine, currently looking for administrative position in western healthcare related companies (insurance, pharmaceutical, medical education) in Egypt.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Hello.first of all i thank u for sharing ur experience.its a pity u had to go through all those.i wont want u to judge by this one visit.i am a NIGERIAN(very proud to be).some people will have nothing to do with Nigerians and this is either due to some bitter experience(s) directly or indirectly.the truth is that there both BAD & GOOD people everywhere ok?Do av a splendid day.

Hi, we have been living in Egypt for almost 10 months; and I believe I will enjoy my new home for next 3 years.
It take some time for us to adapt with our new life here; but in general we enjoy our time. Sure there's some problem and issue; but with positive attitude and respect - we managed to solve it.
There's lot of information in internet, this forum and other forum we can learn to live in this beautiful country.
Don't feel you're superior, better or smarter than anybody else here or anywhere. Politely say La (no), if you don't want - no need to be rude either in real action or in your head.
Cairo is big city of millions people; for most, life is not easy and can be though; in many case - your understanding is needed. Remember we visit this country. It is better to learn and try to understand your surrounding - and do necessary anticipation. Sure there's always bad guys, bad taxi driver, bad police and other bad things - but sure far more good people.