Making phone calls in Honduras

Hi,

When settling in Honduras, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Honduras?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Hi!  We brought a magic jack (69.99 from Best Buy) and a home phone with us from Canada , it is connected to the Internet so calls to the US and Canada are free..  A cell,phone package with 5g is approx 300 lempira a month (14-15 usd/ month).  We also use the  viber app on our cells and FaceTime.  In and out of country communication is really easy.  I hope this helps✌️
Darlene

Just to let you know excellent internet here,  for full HD cable package and Internet it is 43.00 US/ mth

Honduras has the highest cellular saturation in the world. I don't know about the mainland but on the island only the established businesses and a few residents have land lines. They charge for the installation,plus a monthly charge plus a per minute charge and they don't work half the time. Get a  cell phone and a provider (TIGO is preferred for a number of reasons) and just buy time at any of thousands of outlets. Pretty well any store and many businesses sell "saldo" or minutes.Don't get a plan, it is more expensive. Total costs are far less than in Canada. Not sure about the US, but likely.

Best of Life!

Edward

I do not see much point of a landline. In many places there are only cells.

Cell company's are Tigo and Claro
Tigo is widespread so when you travel to remote places it will be better
Claro is cheaper but there are some places you wont get any reception.

I second your comment. We had no trouble calling the U.S. pre-paid with Claro/Tigo.  Just be careful not to buy a real cheap phone there. They break.

Actually my experience over the last 14 years is that the cheapest phones are the most durable.

I bought two or three cheap ones at a store in Siguatepeque and they all broke within three months. Must have been stolen!

Are there any residential internet providers that include unlimited usage? I have been using a Tigo prepaid modem, but would like to have wifi at home.

Color Cable has wifi  plans.