Norwegian Boyfriend Under NAV

Hi. This is my first post here.

I am a Filipina and I have a Norwegian boyfriend who is under NAV due to his depression. He visited me once for 4 weeks here in the Philippines and now we are planning for me to visit him for 3 months.

Is there anyone here who has a boyfriend under NAV too? I would like to get idea, advice, tips in this situation hopefully.

How did you prepare your first visit to Norway and the requirements in this situation?
Can an immediate family (his parents or sister and brother in law) can act as guarantor for the Guarantee Form?

I will stay at his house and he will provide food and other things I will be needing the whole duration btw. Just that the Guarantee Form is one of the requirement and bcoz he is under NAV, he can't provide it (as far as I know)

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks :-)

hi lady_diver.

in behalf of all the members of the expat forums, i welcome you to the website.. :)

as far as i know,  these are the definition of terms regarding visa applications:

- the applicant is the person who wishes to visit/travel to Norway..
- the reference person is the family member in norway (bf/fiancé/spouse/parents/child/etc) related to the applicant..
- the guarantor is the one who will guarantee or shoulder your stay and expenses..

and i know that it is possible that the "guarantor" (or sponsor) is different from the "reference person"... however, i have no personal experience about having different people as guarantor and reference person, but i know for a fact that this can be filled separately in the application portal for the visitors visa.. ;)

a sample scenario i can give is that if i am already a resident in Norway and i have no job, but i wanna invite my parents to come over for a visit.. for this case, I am the reference person since the applicants which are my parents are related to me, and my husband can be the guarantor/sponsor since he is the one with a job and can guarantee for my parents' stay...

this is what UDI.no says about financing your stay in Norway :

You must have enough money to finance your stay in Norway and your return journey. You must normally have NOK 500 for each day of your stay in Norway. Alternatively, someone you know, who is living in Norway, can give a financial guarantee.

source: Visitor's visa to Norway - UDI.no

hope this helps :)

Hi Lady_diver

My ex-boyfriend now my husband :D is also under NAV for some physical reasons.

Pheebz is right, you can have your boyfriend's family member to sponsor you but it is better if your boyfriend can guarantee your stay.

The UDI guarantee form is issued anyway even if your boyfriend gets benefits from NAV. The politi will state there where he is getting money anyway. It does not state any income requirement to be a guarantor. I think the purpose of guarantee form is for the UDI/politi/Embassy to know where your boyfriend is getting his paycheck if it is legal or not  and that's all.

My mother-in law and husband was able to get the guarantee form before even now even if they are under NAV. That should be easy. :)

just to add, another purpose of the "guarantor" is to guarantee ur return to ur home country after ur visa expires... upon furnishing a guarantee form, the guarantor agrees to be held legally responsible for u if u decide to overstay ur visa.. 

UDI.no wrote:

What does it mean to furnish a guarantee?
- The guarantor guarantees that he/she will cover your food and accommodation expenses while you are in Norway.
- The guarantor also guarantees that he/she will cover the state's expenses should you fail to leave Norway when your visa expires so that the police have to deport you from the country.
- You have a better chance of being granted a visa if you have someone to provide a guarantee for you. However, this does not mean that everyone who has a guarantor will be granted a visa.

source link here

Hi Lady_Diver!

Oh wow I need to clarify my first post btw...let me make a correction.

It is okay to be a guarantor under NAV benefits for close family visits like spouse, siblings, children and parents however, if you are not related to any of this..it make take more requirements like your boyfriend to guarantee your stay.

It says here that it is unlikely to be a guarantor if you are getting benefits from social security especially if it is not a close family member.

https://www.udiregelverk.no/en/document … c330203424

" 2.3 Guarantees for visits by anyone other than close family If warranty applies for other than immediate family members, there is a requirement for the guarantor's income and that the guarantee appears credible.
2.3.1 The requirement of sufficient income The guarantor must have sufficient financial capacity to be able to support the visitors during their stay in Norway. When the Immigration Service who will prepare the case or makes decisions considering guarantor's income must be taken into account wages, social security benefits and fortune. A person wholly or mainly subsisting on social assistance, can not be accepted as a guarantor in these cases.  In assessing whether it is considered probable that the guarantor can support the visitor, emphasis is placed on the following factors:  the visitor's own funds guarantor's income duration of stay whether the visitor has a return ticket the guarantor guarantees for more visitors"

Now okay, regarding my case, my hubby and I are married so it was okay for him to be a guarantor even if he gets benefits from nav. My mother-in-law before had a part-time work and was very much legible to stand as guarantor when me and my husband were just dating..

I hope this answer your question.   :)

I'm going to be honest with you.  If you have ANY doubts don't go.  You do not want to be stuck in a foreign country so far away from home and it gets very rainy and cold in Norway during the winter months.  He's on welfare "full Stop" you can't work there so how will he ever support you?  I know you think I'm being mean but take it from a stranger the "Red Flags" are flying high.  He should be making all the arrangements for you to come there.  He should know all this information.  I lived in Norway for over 5 years due to being able to have a company sponser me and now I have a tax number and legal to work in Norway.  You say you would stay for 3 months.  Has anyone told you how expensive it is there?  Please do think about this before boarding a plane.  I wish you good luck and I truly mean this.  Warm regards

Hi Lady_diver,

I don't have the exact experience as you have, cos my BF is not under NAV. however, His Mom was my guarantor during my first visit to Norway. So to answer your question, YES his immediate family can act as guarantor. You just specify it on your Checklist form(Visit boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance-Norway) under 'Additional Information' that his immediate family is the guarantor and your BF is the invitee.

I do have a question though:
Do you have a proof of your strong ties here in the Philippines (e.g Job, Children, etc)? As there were changes on the Schengen Visa, they became a little bit stricter when it comes to this. Kindly refer to Pheebs older thread for better explanation:

Update: Schengen Visa

As far as I know till u get a guarantee form from a person in Norway it will work out. U will have to show your relationship with guarantor, I guess.. They just have to write a letter n fill in form with scheduled stay. It will not be a problem. Did u check the online websites wit information about visas.?

Hi Kea Johnsen,

I just want to ask how did you get married if your husband is under nav? My boyfriend is under nav too and I ask if it's possible to get married in norway even if the boyfriend is still in nav?
I would like to know more information from you  because I think you already know about that.
I hope it's ok? Thank you and have a nice day

Best regards,
Llienzy

Hi Llienzy!

You can only get married in your home country I think if he is under NAV because if you apply for fiancee permit it is the same rule that applies to the resident permit that he must have an income which should not come from NAV. Just check the UDI site.

We did just that. Got married in my home country while he is under NAV and then he got out of NAV and applied for permanent disability pension, we applied for resident permit, got approved and now will get married again here.

Hope this helps!

Hi Kea,

Thanks for the reply.
I just want to ask also when you get married in your home country and then after that. You still can apply a family reunification even if the husband still in nav? You still can go to Norway live there? Thanks and have a nice day.

Regards,
Llienzy

Hi Llienzy

Is you boyfriend getting the what they call Arbeidsavklaringspenger or work assessment money from NAV? If he is then you can't apply I believe so even if you are married already. His main source of income must be outside of NAV unless he gets a pension money  or something else like from a job that is not from NAV .

Kea