Living in Dominican Republic in the future

Hi my name is Juan !!  I live in the California San Francisco Bay Area ! I'm planning on traveling to DR and would like to know what is a better place the North Coast or Punta Cana area ?  I've heard  Cabarete/Susua are nice but too windy ? Any input would be greatly appreciated !!

If you want to lay on the beach (beautiful beaches) and stay in a resort area at very big hotels then head to Punta Cana

If you want to actually experience some of the DR, have very nice beaches, towns with lots of restaurants, bars, clubs, be able to stay either in all inclusive resorts, smaller resorts, rent condos or villas, mix with locals, Expats and tourists...then head to the north coast.  Sosua and Cabarete are great choices (we have lived here in the area for over 9 yers) and not all that windy.

Bob K

Thanks Bob I will take your advice !  I think the first thing to do is rent a condo for a few months to get to know the ares and atmosphere in Cabarete/Sosua !! My wife and I are both retired and will be delisted to meet people !!

Rio, the wind are the Trade Winds. Actually they are 8 to 12 mph breezes with sometimes stronger gusts. They are beautiful.  The North shore is , in my opinion the best all round area of the island.  However, the entire island has much to offer for anyone's tastes.

Gypsy !!  Thank you this is very valuable information !!

Good info. What we advise will depend on what is important to you. North coast is closer to real life.

You are welcome and renting for a month or two is a wise choice.

Bob K

Planner !!  I've seen some of your posts on TripAdvisor  !!  I read you used to live in Sosua/Cabarete area or North Coast !!  You also have very valuable information for someone like me who is trying to get as much info before going there !!  My question about how windy is it in Cabarete is because I've read articles about skydivers etc.  We are not into that sport !!  I like to watch that's about it !!  I like the quiet atmosphere but I also love music as I am a musician and love going out places where there is live music !!  I wonder if Cabarete/Sosua provides these leisure !!  Thank you  !!

Actually planner lives on the South coast and is not active on trip advisor.  I live on the north coast between Cabarete and Sosua.  I am very active on trip advisor as BObK.

As I had said in other posts the wind is not a big deal.  We are retired andactually lived on the beach in Cabarete for the first year of so that we were here and never had a problem.  There is no skydiving here but Cabarete is world famous for kite boarding and wind surfing.  In fact the world kite boarding championships are held here every few years. 

There is a good mix of Expats, locals and tourists in the area with lots or restaurants and bars/clubs with live music, and we could always use a new musician :D  In fact tonight we are going to dinner with a stop at two places for music in Sosua.

I think you need to come and visit for a bit and check it our for yourself.

Bob K

Ummmmmmm Bob I am active on Trip Advisor honey.  Yes I live on south coast, yes I spent 7 years on north coast. 

And Bob's comments are correct about the Cabarete Sosua area.  The Wind isn't such that it's a huge issue for those living there.  Just cause you live there doesn't mean you have to participate.  I spent my share of days in a beach chair watching.....lol

There are lots of venues for music.  No idea what you like and what you will find.

What is your ID on TA

Bob K

I forget,  I have to look honey.... it just does it automatically....... :D   I do local reviews only.  Next week I am off to the Hamaca in Boca Chica for 3 days of R & R.  I sooooo need to relax.

Enjoy.

We actually are heading to Hotel Gran Jimenoa - Jarabacoa in two weeks for a 3 day escape with some friends.

Bob K

Nice!!!!   Its on  my list of places I have not been to yet!

Sorry Bob !!  I thought it was in TripAdvisor where I saw a few of planner's postings but I was wrong !!  Yes we are planning the trip to CABARETE  !!

Hi Planner !!  Do I need a car if I rent out a condo for 4 months in Cabarete or Sosua ?

Thank you
Juan

Renting a car is expensive and dangerous for first times. If you are renting in Cabarete or Sosua you really do not need a car as most will be with in walking distance and a taxi is very cheap.  Also in Cabarete there is really no where to park in town..

Bob K

Thanks Bob !!  I'll take your advice !!

Great advice!!!

I have to disagree. I rented a apartment in Cabarete for 3 weeks and rented a SUV. If you want to see around the area from Sosua to Samana you will need a car. I didn't find driving there any more dangerous than driving in any other country. Maybe it is just because I have driven in a lot of different countries. There is so much to see and experience, not having transport will limit you as to what you will see and eat away the time you are there. Yes, it is expensive but still worth it in my opinion.

Without extensive driving experience in places where they don't respect the laws AND some Spanish it's not recommended. It's too dangerous for most people.

I agree with you Planner.  I wouldn't think of driving there.  When we were there in February, we hired a driver who was at our beck and call. That worked really well for us, and for him as he was paid very well by Dominican standards, yet still very reasonable for us. And, since we speak no Spanish, he also kept us out of trouble.  However, he is part of a trusted network of people whom we know in the Dominican, so that made a huge difference in our level of trust in him.

Excellent solution!

I agree that it can be dangerous to drive, IF,  you have never driven in heavy traffic before, are not a normally vigilant  & defensive driver, if you text & talk on your cell, converse with friends while driving you should never drive anywhere in the world..  Honestly evaluate your capabilities before venturing onto the highways & by-ways of this isle. Be honest, most people rate themselves as better than the actually are.  I suggest not driving at night if at all possible.  Even after more than 30 years in the Caribbean, I still don't drive at night. I will drive my car or ride my motorcycle within the confines of Sosua at night though. Very small. well lit streets for the most part.   I reiterate, do not drive at night!!!!   Animals, many vehicles without lights or signals, drunk drivers, unknown areas ETC.

Well said Gypsy.

I've been in Cabarete now for 4-5 days. I see why people keep saying its hot. The humidity is much higher here than in Bonao. A really different climate.

Yep hot and humid.   Today temp was 92 an and heat index was 110

Bob K

Thats damn hot boys.

yep and today will be a bit warmer.

I think I am melting :D:D:D:D

Bob K

How do postal addresses work in the DR? I know post deliveries are unreliable...but are there house numbers and street addresses?

Well sometimes there are and sometimes there are not.....     My house now had no address so I made one up..........  its casa 2, calle 2....LOL

Yep many places have no address and no street names.

The postal service is a joke and don't rely on it for anything.  Last April I got my Xmas card that was mailed in the November prior and I have a house number and street number.

BObK

Hello all,

we are planning on visiting for 2 weeks in November as an early scouting trip. Would someone be able to recommend a driver with a vehicle we could hire for a few days in Punta Cana? This seems like a much better idea than renting a vehicle.

Thanks Jeff

Yes a much better idea. We are on the north coast so sorry I cannot recommend anyone.

Bob K

I know some people  let me get you some info - but will send by private message.

Excellent thanks!

Bob, we were in Jarabacoa a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the casa de huespedes  at the Hamaca de Dios. A beautiful spot check it out it was 112 per nite with desayuno included during the week, includes a jacuzzi and fireplace and an incredible view..has a revolving restaurant food was excellent a great place even if you stay for just a night;)

We have had drinks at that restaurant at sunset.  What a view from the top of the mountain.

Bob K