Best quiet Lake Atitlan area near Pana

Hola, my husband and I are mid/late 60s presently living in Panajachel and checking out other lake pueblos. We want something quiet & safe that has a good mercado (fruits & veggies).

We are hoping to find a pueblo that is close enough to Pana to easily go there twice/month. We've been in Pana a little over a week and and have checked out San Pedro & San Juan (seem like a very long launcha ride but we liked the towns, esp San Juan for its relative lack of tourists)...

we are trying to find out if San Catarina Palopo has a mercado before we go there - and any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! .

OK, I remember responding to a question from you a few weeks ago. Wellcome to Pana. It's not quiet but this last week of the feria has been crazy.
All the pueblos have markets but "a decent market" is another issue. I just bought a B&B in San Antonio Palopó (http://casasderocio.com). While there is a market there, it is small. The people I bought it from took me with them to San Lucas a week ago which has a huge market on Sundays. It is a short (Q5 for locals, Q10 for Gringos) boat trip. Pretty much no Gringos in San Antonio or San Lucas and great prices on ocean fish in the market.
San Antonio is only 10km by road from Pana so it is a quick trip. You go through Santa Cantarina -- a place that seems to be all too full of Gringos and with "other problems".
Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. I am in the "60s Gringo group and been here long enough to have a lot of answers and/or experience from doing it wrong.

Hi - thanks for your thoughtful reply and all of the information. It's taken me so long to reply as I got hit with a combination US/CA double health whammy just after I posted my question. San Antonio sounds like it just might do it... we will take a trip through Santa Catarina for a visit, and hope it will be. If you or anyone else reading this post know of a sunny, quiet little casita that's available we'd love to hear about it. 

Thanks also for your reply on the technology - it looks it's not as complicated as I was making it (at least I hope not).

Your B&B looks lovely!

I will watch for anything for rent. Other options are watch guatemala.craigslist.org. I also have one other possible idea -- please contact me directly at nicafyl at gmail dot com so we can set up a chat. It could be a great opportunity.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not post external links here pls

Hi nicafyl, your places for rent look wonderful, but I didn't see any prices on your website. Can you give those here please?
Thanks,
Jules

They are there -- OK, should be -- if you click the booking option. But, they are more or less like this.
  * Pana apartment - $35/night
  * Room in San Antonio with breakfast - $40/night
  * Studio apartment with mini-kitchen - $55/night
There are discounts for week and longer stays. You can email [email protected] with any specific questions.