Getting married in Laos

I understand your frustration but it would be a waste of money to bring her to Europe or somewhere else and marry her there as you have already spent a lot on the process.
You would still need paperwork for both of you to do this anyway.
It cost me around $20,000.00 and 12 months of time to get married to my Lao wife. 
The fact that you are Romanian and do not have too many Embassies anywhere to assist makes the process longer too, even for the lawyers processing your application.

I am currently in the process of doing documents for marrying my girlfriend in Laos. We have already done our required medical including the blood tests but the hospital have now contacted us again asking us to go for more blood tests. I am informed this is to "check our blood is a match for having children", which is the most absurd and stupid thing I have ever heard.
Does anyone know of this second test and what it is actually for?
Thanks in advance

JohninLaos wrote:

I am currently in the process of doing documents for marrying my girlfriend in Laos. We have already done our required medical including the blood tests but the hospital have now contacted us again asking us to go for more blood tests. I am informed this is to "check our blood is a match for having children", which is the most absurd and stupid thing I have ever heard.
Does anyone know of this second test and what it is actually for?
Thanks in advance

Welcome... :) 

I know nothing about this as I never ad to have any blood tests done at all
I know it is frustrating for you and your GF but if the hospital wants more tests then get them done. By refusing them it may jeopardize you marriage papers.
Perhaps get GF to ask the hospital for more information on the second lot of tests. If you can find out exactly what sort of tests they want done then you can do a Google search for information on them.
Keep us in the loop as to how you get on as the information may assist others.

My wife and I were married in Laos in 2002. I recommend what we did: do the traditional Lao wedding ceremony with your friends and family in Laos but (if possible in your home country) then have a civil marriage performed when you get home. I know in the USA and several other countries, any couple can go to a local courthouse to have a legal civil wedding performed for a small fee. I think the cost was less than $50 to have the local government do the civil wedding (and the Lao wedding was relatively cheap, if you don't include the cost to get there!).

Hey guys

Just starting my marriage process here in Laos now. I'll try keep a track of the whole process :)  We're gonna try do it ourselves, her dad has done it before so hopefully it goes well.

Male Australian citizen marrying Lao girl. We went to get the paperwork from a government building in Vientiane, I believe the department was Home Affairs but forgot the larger ministry... I think it cost 50,000 kip for the documents.

Missus is filling it in now, she'll tell me what documents I need and we're going to the oz embassy today to get some advice.

Cheers

Jun

jhunli7 wrote:

Hey guys

Just starting my marriage process here in Laos now. I'll try keep a track of the whole process :)  We're gonna try do it ourselves, her dad has done it before so hopefully it goes well.

Male Australian citizen marrying Lao girl. We went to get the paperwork from a government building in Vientiane, I believe the department was Home Affairs but forgot the larger ministry... I think it cost 50,000 kip for the documents.

Missus is filling it in now, she'll tell me what documents I need and we're going to the oz embassy today to get some advice.

Cheers

Jun

Once you are married I would suggest you register the marriage at the Oz Embassy. Not compulsory but years ago when I got married I was advised to do so. Perhaps ask them if this is needed these days.

Please keep us informed as to how this all goes for you as any information may assist others.

Hi guys,

I am currently preparing the marriage papers, I really don't know where to start. I'm now in France for work (temporary) and a visit to my boyfriend here. So we have decided to get married but not sure where we are going to do the wedding reception yet, though more likely in Laos. Anyway, we plan to sign the marriage paper in France at Marie (city council) in the small town here in France, but before doing it so we need like some papers from Laos like Birth Certificate, Certificate of Martial Status, Certificate of Residential in Laos and Criminal Record paper (I have them all in Lao language) and process them to the Lao embassy in France and they said I had to send them back to Lao to get approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then the consulate. Anyway, things get more complicated since my documents have to go through the Justice Department to get another approval and they need to be translated in to French.
If anyone here could help me if what I am doing is on the right track? and where can I find a place to translate my documents into French? it would be very vey helpful

Thanks in advance :)
Ninui

@Ninui

Perhaps contact the French Embassy in Vientiane as they may have a list of official translators who can translate the documents for you.

Thanks Stumpy for the reply.

I did contact the embassy and they suggested me to go and check with the Ministry of Justice and get my documents translated, it was 120,000 kip per page

Ninui wrote:

Thanks Stumpy for the reply.

I did contact the embassy and they suggested me to go and check with the Ministry of Justice and get my documents translated, it was 120,000 kip per page

The price might sound expensive but when I had mine translated into Lao, which had to be at the Lao Embassy in Canberra Australia, the cost was $30 per page with 25 pages to be done. !!!

I am new on this forum but saw your name many times before on the internet Stumpy. You are very friendly for helping so many people with questions. If I will ever meet you in person, you'll drink for free...

My fiancee is also from the south and so far I have to say that the things in Vientiane weren't too complicated and for some reason corruption wasn't (yet?) involved in the process in this part of Laos, in the south it was different but relatively seen (especially if I see the prices here) it was still not bad at all. It takes long (it's Laos and most things need a bit more time) and sometimes is was irritating and frustrating, but I've also met friendly and helpfull people in the offices and even shared some beers and food with good people. We handed in all the documents recently to the Foreigners Control Unit and have to wait for a very long time (could be 4 months, could be 6 months or longer). All by all it is a long process and in my eyes still not very fair and nice for people who just want to stay together and be happy together, but it wasn't the horror that I've read about before and expected it to be. It was also interesting to see some places and learn a bit about it. We are still far from the 'finish' and hopefully we will make it soon to be there.

I wish all people in the same 'ride' good luck, a lot of patience and a lot of happiness together for now and after everything is done.

Thanks for the advice stumpy.

Here is a pretty good read on what is needed. It might have been linked already here, but I didn't see it.
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/adana … os2010.pdf

Having gone through this process in the last 2 months it's pretty accurate. We've just been to public security for an interview, they told us there's at least one more interview with them. Each step takes about a week, although at any stage they could hold your documents longer (you know why).

I would advise anyone doing this to prepare to be in Laos for at least three months, and absolutely DO NOT let any officials know you are in a rush...so don't call asking them when it'll be ready. This could be paranoia on my part, but also Don't dress too well when visiting offices and no jewelry...

Lawyer cost was indeed 5000 USD. I guess if you have the money to burn, I recommend paying if you know you can trust said lawyer.

Hello, i would like to get some information, this is all new to me so i don't know any other laws beside the laws in my country. My son is canadien and wants to marry a girl who ws born in Laos, she has been living and working in Thai for the pass 6 years (she has her visa to work there). They want to marry in Thai...can someone explaine to me how to make this happend step by step

mistingette wrote:

Hello, i would like to get some information, this is all new to me so i don't know any other laws beside the laws in my country. My son is canadien and wants to marry a girl who ws born in Laos, she has been living and working in Thai for the pass 6 years (she has her visa to work there). They want to marry in Thai...can someone explaine to me how to make this happend step by step

I suggest that you contact the Lao Embassy in Bangkok for information. As far as I am aware the marriage can take place in Thailand but there will be paperwork to fill in.
Also take the time to read through the many posts on this thread for information.

Ty Stumpy

Just thought I'd give some advice, as someone who has been through the process in the last 4 months, even having made it to the second last stage of the process:  waiting on the Foreigner Control Department of Ministry of Public Security.

My advice for anyone wanting to get married in Laos is to find a lawyer to do it. Unless you have serious connections very high up. Or even better, just don't do it.

Out.

I would have to agree with post#56 from jhunli7.

The cost of a lawyer plotted against the problems inherent with doing it yourself to me is a no brainer as the lawyer is set up for doing the paperwork. Negotiate a fixed price before taking the lawyer on.

Doing it yourself opens you to authorities asking for money to facilitate the process and once you pay out you will be doing so at each and every step.

Our marriage was the first between a falang and a Lao, hence the expense even having the local provincial governor on our side.

That must have been a while ago Stumpy  :) . I know a man who married in 1996 I think, that was in Champasak province.

My wife and me got married about 10 days ago in Champasak province and we did it all by ourself. It took about 10 months. We didn't have problems with corruption in Vientiane, in the village of my wife and in her district. The government in Pakse was also helpful and friendly. The only ones who made some problems (for the money) were the police in a city in the south... But that saved us time and as a job was waiting for me in Vientiane it worked out to be ok.

Met some friendly and helpful people as well who had no intention of making extra money. Happy that this is over now though and without big problems.

Is there anyone who has engaged an agent in Laos recently? Particularly Savannakhet? I recently got a quote for $5000 which I find high. Anyone please?

Ik got quoted 4,000 USD in Vientiane by an agent/ translator but didn't do this and did it myself. Talked with some people who hired an agent to do it and it took even longer in the end, and more expensive as well.

That gives me some comfort in deciding to DIY as well. I've been researching on the web and the first stop is often the provincial office to get the documents. Hope I'm on the right track. At which stage are you at now? Hope I could get some tips from you. The web is sorely lacking in clear info. I've only bits n pieces. Cheers!

I am legally married in Lao with a lady woman. We have all the documents and did it ourselves.

Step by step and slowly. Ask many questions and double check. For some reason it was not as difficult as I expected it. Yes, frustrating sometimes, but it is possible and the good thing is that the offices aren't full of hungry wolves waiting to eat you. Some of them are, but most of them seem to be decent people, just following the rules and procedures.

Next step for us will be to get the documents legalized in my country. But not in a hurry for that as we are living here.

Good to know you're having a smooth experience.
My fiance went to get the documents but got charged 100K for 2 sets.. That's the first hungry wolf we've encountered :) Hope all goes well for you and me!

Hi all bro and sis, I am from Malaysia stay in Kuala Lumpur. Currently my Laos Girlfriend is with me and we planning go to Laos to get her single status certificate by next week 4 June 2016. We will be stay in Laos from 4-11 June. May I know before I go to Laos to get her the single status certificate, what's the thing I need to prepare? As I know I have to get my single status certificate also in Malaysia Putrajaya, but is near Putrajaya which department and it need to take how long to get my single status certificate? 1 day if possible? So the procedure is that complicated cause got agent told me that he can help me but I have to pay Rm400 first for the first procedure, after that I have to go Laos embassy, then there have to charge again but don't know how much. I am thinking I want to do by myself but how to do it because I don't have friends experience this before. So I sincerely hope that at here got some advise and helps for me about the steps how to complete for the whole procedure. You can send email for me xxx for your information. Thanks in advance for you guys.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I know this is an old topic but just in case anyone is looking at it for advice I just wanted to add my little knowledge. Nearly every friend I have here in Laos who is married, got married outside of the country. Several in France, one in Thailand and one in Hong Kong.  Not one of them has had any problems in Laos. The police have looked at the paperwork and said Boh Pen Nyang.

On a separate note my girlfriend asked about getting engagement papers and we were told 1 million kip for the police and 1 pig for the Naiban!

If you get this message, please give a sign as I have something to ask regarding your post. I am not sure you still using this site, your post has been submitted a long time ago. Sa auzim de bine!
Regards,

Costin_el wrote:

If you get this message, please give a sign as I have something to ask regarding your post. I am not sure you still using this site, your post has been submitted a long time ago. Sa auzim de bine!
Regards,

:unsure

What exactly are you seeking.
Your post is very obtuse and lacking in information.
This is your first post since joining last year.

Take it easy. I just tried to get in contact with that Romanian. Do not worry so much. I will manage.

Hi everyone
I am planning to start engagement procedures with my lao girlfriend
Can anyone tell me what are the legal implications of getting engaged in Laos?
Regards
Giovanni

The engagement commitment means that you wish to marry her.

Hello all,

I am trying to find out how ling it takes to get the freedom to marry paperwork done in Laos. Reason being might be easier to get married in thailand as already talked to lawyer in bangkok that said if we both had that could do for 24000baht.

If that doesnt work we will be heading to the U.S to get married and come back as I live in Thailand and she travels back and forth.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get the marriage certification registered with lao embassy in Thaialnd or in USA or even if they will do it?

Please if anyone has any insight please let me know as the process just takes to long in Laos and I work offshore in the oil and gas industry and am gone for lengthy time periods.

My fiance is also pregnant 8 weeks so another reason we are trying to have done sooner then later and since so frowned upon in laos trying to figure everhthing out.

I suggest you marry in Thailand. It is legal and your wife's family can attend the ceremony. I would discuss time frame with your lawyer as they may know how to expedite the process. 
Register the marriage at the nearest Lao Embassy and the American Embassy.

There will be paperwork, such as freedom to marry, convictions etc, you will need to do so get this off the lawyer and get assistance from your Embassy in getting this done. Contact the Embassy for advice regarding paperwork.

The birth can take place in Thailand, as we did with our youngest daughter, get birth certificate from the hospital. We registered the birth in the Lao Family Book so she is Lao.
I got her Australian citizenship by descent and I am sure you can do the same through the  American Embassy in Laos.

Let us know how you get on as this may assist others.

Thanks for the input Stumpy and will get everyone updated on this journey because I think I have got 100 more gray hairs in the last week haha. Take care everybody and keep you all posted.

This may say a lot about the quality of your wife and family. Sorry to be blunt but it is a common scam. And it may indicate uou are extremely naiive . However it may have nothing to do with your future wife. She may just be naiive. It is a common scam to ask loads of money because we white men have a reputation of being buffalos. Pay $ 20,000 and the family pockets 19,500. I had a Danish friend, he banged down $500 in the government office and it was all done n two months. This was in 2008 in Vientiane. You guys paying more than $500 are making us look like royal dumb assess and raising the prices for everyone. Get married in SE ASIA or any other country if you are having difficulties. The majority of Chinese are not that naiive. However did find a Korean who was caught up in this scam. Keep in mind this is the East and life can be cheap. The whole marriage can be a scam and your death is particularly beneficial if you die with a marriage certificate in the wife's hand.😊😊😊 Things are not always as they appear in the East. Foreign husbands mysteriously dying after the house is built. You have been warned. 😁😁😁

In my opinion in Laos also get engagement and marriage so i have 2 suggestion:
1. Can get engagement in Laos a lot of couple do in here the same of marriage.
2. Make the marriage and have company name T.D.S Co.,Ltd are service about inter wedding Laotian and foreigner please consult with them by number contact 021 331 339, 020 9990 0287

Hi All, I read this this thread a while ago. I just wanted to add that I married my Laos girl in Hong Kong. Quick and inexpensive.
I then got the marriage certificate legalised in Laos. Also fairly quick and inexpensive.
I feel the process has to change for marriage in Laos. It seemed to me that once you initiate the process the costs just escalate and the scams start rolling on.

Good luck

A

@Alan_st

I agree with you. Far easier, quicker and cheaper to marry overseas as long a the country you get married in has a Lao Embassy. Especially ASEAN member countries.

I see there is now a long term residency visa (1 yr) being for expats married to Lao citizens. I presume this will need to be renewed each year. Spouses can work in Lao on this visa now.

3 part application, spouse visa, stay permit and lastly 1 year visa.

hiya I have a Lao girlfriend and we like to get married in the next year, probably in March 2019. That's the planning at least. Now my girl is not living at home in Lao,  but in Thailand. She works in Thailand and now and then she going home to Lao. What is the best option to do?  I heard to get married in Thailand is the best option. Do we have all the paper worlook need to be done in Thailand or in business forehand in Lao? Do we still need to have the same paperwork as in Lao because she is an Lao citizen or its the Thai list we need?

Do have any experience in getting married in Thailand how long the process will take?

hiya may I ask how you see that for eyes? I mean, you saying you advise to get married in Lao and after that to get married in the local council where I live. But a marriage is a marriage. Why 2 times to get married with the same girl? Is the Lao marriage certificate not guilty in Europe? Or is the ceremonies in Lao not real? Just for the family? I'm curious )))