Buying a car in Mexico

Hi,

To be able to move in Mexico, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Mexico: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

A used car  from private party is the trickiest so definitely take somebody with you that knows what to check for.  Need original receipt, records of paying yearly costs like licence renewal and smog test, all past tickets need to be paid ..... and yes you need insurance even if over half Mexicans don't have it.

Rules vary from State to State ...... and better to buy a car licensed in the State you live because changing can be a real pain

Katrina cars were unloaded in Mexico and throughout central america.  look for flooding in a used car 2005 or older

Yes look for rust.  If it hasn't started in 10 years, it's not likely it ever will.  Unless you're pin a very humid location.

Talk about flooding ..... I was house sitting near our canal when Hurricane Jova hit and didn't think to take it to higher ground.  When I first noticed what was happening it was too deep to drive in and eventually half way up my windshield. $2000 dollars and 3 weeks later I was able to drive it but numerous problems after. I still have it

the very least of a katrina cars problems is rust

With a permanent resident card and a U.S. license, I bought a 2016 Nissan Tiida 4 dr sedan new in Cuernavaca for $10,500 U.S. at the local Nissan dealer. They handled the paperwork and gave me 5 or 6 insurance quotes for full coverage for $400 U.S. annually. It was easy and quick. It's a very basic spacious car with a big trunk.

Insurance is mandatory (if you get caught without that is a big problem) it is very different from Canada & US insurance best thing is to go to the big banks they represent most of the big insurance companies. Buying cars is not much different than Canada & US watch the interest rates on the loans the are very high. Find a good mechanic and have ti checked.

gaby/allan wrote:

Insurance is mandatory (if you get caught without that is a big problem) it is very different from Canada & US insurance best thing is to go to the big banks they represent most of the big insurance companies. Buying cars is not much different than Canada & US watch the interest rates on the loans the are very high. Find a good mechanic and have ti checked.

Yes you are supposed to have insurance, but I have never been asked to show proof, and many of the locals do not have it. Something else that should be noted is that credit in the U.S. or Canada does not translate to credit in Mexico, just like U.S. or Canadian car insurance does not  work in Mexico.

If you have the cash to buy the car out right buy it from a dealer who can handle the deal for you and want's to stay in business so they won't sell you used crap. Some Mexicans take good care of their cars others beat them up , most of them over rev the engines leading to premature wear. If you do not have the cash out right you will need someone with good credit that you trust to help you get a loan.