Considering Cairo

I've been made a very attractive preliminary offer for a very tempting position in Cairo, and I'm now trying to decide whether to accept the offer.  I'm a 40-something archaeologist who's travelled extensively, including in North Africa, and I've previously lived and worked in the Middle East - but while I've been an expat about half my life, so am used to moving around for work, I haven't previously been to Egypt (difficult though that may be to believe given my line of work). 

I've inevitably been doing a lot of research on things like the best places to live (consensus seems to be Zamalek or Maadi), but just as inevitably still have a lot of questions... 

Perhaps most importantly, the company assures me that the political situation has stabilised over the last couple of years - are they right?

I speak native English, decent French, and bad Spanish.  I can read Arabic script, but don't speak Arabic; would the lack of spoken Arabic language skills be an issue in daily life outside of work - keeping in mind that I'd be happy to learn, but this would inevitably take time?   (My work environment would be in English).

I'm married, but my wife and I are seriously considering having me move to Cairo solo, and then taking turns flying out to see each other for regular  long weekends (bolstered by holidays).  We've been married for over 10 years, and given my job, we're comfortable with that arrangement.  But just to look at all the options...  what sort of job opportunities might be available for trailing spouses?  Would it be legally possible at all for my wife to find work? 

I would be working in Giza, very close to a certain famous set of pyramid-shaped structures.  Given Cairo's notorious traffic, is it even feasible to live in Zamalek and then commute to the Giza Necropolis area? (I would have a driver, so wouldn't need to drive myself)

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.

Hey mr ..first welcome in egypt any time our doors are open for u ..egypt is better now and every thing is ok and undercontrol :)
about the distance between zamalk and giza maybe its not long but the problem will be in traffic ..wanna to meet you soon in egypt i am tour guide and i think we can talk a lot :D

Hello,everything  is stable now in Cairo, not like before.u don't have to worry.
If u will live in giza, near pyramids,u will not get a good first impression about Cairo and Egypt, it's very dirty and nosy  in giza, people r also not so nice there,to say the truth.
To live in zamalek, it's the best option for u,bcs it's like an international place,there r all kind of shops,restaurants,everything.
U should definetely  bring your wife,if for example u will go to visit her or she will come to visit u,u will spend way more money than just living together here.
She can find a job as a teacher in some school or language institute with good salary

Thanks for the advice Anastasia.

I know it would be expensive for my wife (who, like you, is Russian) and I to live apart and visit each other regularly, but we think this would be financially viable.  She actually works in the hospitality industry, specifically at management level in the coffee industry, so she wouldn't really be interested in teaching jobs.

If she is from Russia, I can give u the link to the Russian  community in Cairo, and she can ask what jobs she can find,everybody will help or give some advice:) do u need?

A link to the Russian community in Cairo wouldn't hurt; thank you, Anastasia.  I'm obviously not Russian myself, but access to additional information that I can pass to my wife wouldn't hurt.

Do you mind if I ask if you're Orthodox?  Do you know what the situation is like for Orthodox churches (Russian/Greek, not Coptic)?  I know about St George's Church for 'our' Patriarch of Alexandria, but are there other Orthodox churches?

i'm orthodox, and there r churches here, even a Russian church, i sent u the link in private messages

I think you'll be way better off in Maadi then anywhere else (Corniche, Sarayat/Sakanat, or Degla).  That's it! FORGET any other parts of Maadi. And zamalik may work if you don't mind dealing with gut-wrenching traffic,  24/7 gridlock and overcrowding.

Living in maadi comes in handy even more so that you speak no Arabic,  because a good majority of everyone there speaks or understands the most basic conversational English.  (Please note that does not mean that what comes out of their mouth isn't pure B.S. ) ......That's another story all together :)

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not completely without any Arabic; I lived in Dubai for a couple of years, and worked in the UAE, Qatar, and Oman in that period.  I can read Arabic writing, can count to ten, and can mangle some basic stock phrases in Modern Standard Arabic - but I recognise that's a long, long way from being able to communicate in Egypt; almost everyone I dealt with in the Gulf spoke English.  I plan on taking Arabic lessons if I do accept the job offer, just to make daily life a little easier.

All that said, you've prompted me to look a little more closely at Maadi (I'd previously been focusing more on Zamalek), and it does look like it would be a slightly easier morning commute.

hey mr, hey madam

my name is sudhir, if you are considering cairo, kindly reconsider it. because except pyramids and mummies, this country has shit to offer.

i wrote 'hey mr, hey madam', no money..these are the clumsy and irritating words you will often hear from the airport till you return.

this is the oldest civilisation of the world, but i am afraid, one of the worst tourist friendly countries.

rest is upto you.

thanks

Hi I'm an Irish resident and I'm considering a teaching post in Cairo. I'm a forty something whiteskinned single female who has never lived abroad in search of an adventure for a year or two.

Throw it at me and tell me the good the bad and the ugly!! :D