Relocating to Sofia - Need practical infos about safety etc

Hello everybody,

my name Is Maria, I am Italian and I have just received a job offer from a gaming company located in Sofia. Before accepting ( the offer is pretty good) I do have some concerns and I  hope you can help me with that.

1) First of all I'd like to know if Sofia is a safe place to live for a young woman who will be living/ travelling by herself.
2)Second, how hard it is to get around if you don't speak Bulgarian? For example to take a train or a bus, or simply to buy groceries?
3) Finally, since my job will have nights shifts, what will be the best option to get home (taxi, metro, bus)?
Thanks a lot  for your help.

Hello Maria,

I lived in Sofia for about 5 years. Based on my experience, I believe you should not worry about safety. Use wisdom and common sense, as with any location. I used to walk 4 blocks from the bus stop to my apartment at night and felt safe. There were usually other people out on the streets, which was reassuring. I have used all the public transport the city has to offer: bus, tram, subway, taxi and mashrutka (a fixed-route taxi) and never had a problem. Keep in mind that public transport stops around 11PM, so your option for getting home from a late shift would be a taxi.

As for the communication issue: I arrived in Sofia with little grasp of the language. I quickly learned basic words and phrases. I found the locals to be friendly and helpful and many in the city speak English. People will most likely be impressed if you try to speak Bulgarian--even if you get it wrong, the attempt will be appreciated. These days there are many supermarkets around the city, which makes shopping much easier, as you don't have to ask for an item. Even if you do need to ask, I found that taking a script with me worked well. You may even find someone who speaks Italian!

If you would like more information, you are welcome to pm me.

Best regards,
VillageGirl

Thank you VillageGirl, you have been very helpful.

Hi,

1) Yes. Like any city you would use common sense but it's a pretty safe feeling city (I'm a single woman living alone).

2) Very easy. Especially in Sofia so many Bulgarians speak good English. A lot of labels etc are in English and I find that people are very willing to help. I've really had no problems at all, I speak no Bulgarian beyond words like "hello" and have been here a couple of years.

3) Taxi is the easiest and not expensive. With one of the companies at least you can call them and say you want to speak English and they'll transfer you to an English speaking operator. Metro and bus may be possible but it really depends on the connections between where you work/live. I use the metro when it's convenient but obviously it doesn't go everywhere. Busses go everywhere but if you have to transfer then it becomes not very efficient.

1) First of all I'd like to know if Sofia is a safe place to live for a young woman who will be living/ travelling by herself.
2)Second, how hard it is to get around if you don't speak Bulgarian? For example to take a train or a bus, or simply to buy groceries?
3) Finally, since my job will have nights shifts, what will be the best option to get home (taxi, metro, bus)?
Thanks a lot  for your help.

I agree with both post. They covered everything very well. Your best bet for getting around will be taxi, they are very inexpensive, 5lv most times unless you are going far. Now what I do want to address is where you get an apt. it's very important to get a good location, when I first got here I didn't have a car so I got my place right in the center of the city (two blocks away from the presidency). I got 3 big grocery stores in less than 5min walk (one open 24/7), two pharmacies on the same block and a little market full of fruits and veggies just downstairs as well, I've found it very helpful. Also make sure when you are getting a place you don't get the foreigner prices, they guy above me is paying €650 for the same place as mine and without a garage, I got mine for €550. Look at a few options and make an offer on the place, Bulgarians prefer renting to expats, offer a few months payment in advance if you have to, to get the price you want.

Thanks a lot Kaminoge.

Kris0x0 wrote:

I agree with both post. They covered everything very well. Your best bet for getting around will be taxi, they are very inexpensive, 5lv most times unless you are going far. Now what I do want to address is where you get an apt. it's very important to get a good location, when I first got here I didn't have a car so I got my place right in the center of the city (two blocks away from the presidency). I got 3 big grocery stores in less than 5min walk (one open 24/7), two pharmacies on the same block and a little market full of fruits and veggies just downstairs as well, I've found it very helpful. Also make sure when you are getting a place you don't get the foreigner prices, they guy above me is paying €650 for the same place as mine and without a garage, I got mine for €550. Look at a few options and make an offer on the place, Bulgarians prefer renting to expats, offer a few months payment in advance if you have to, to get the price you want.

Thanks for the apartment info Kris0x0, this actually was going to be my next question.

Hi all,

I shall visit Bulgaria in mid October.  I have a few questions to ask and hopefully will get your replies.

1. I had booked the Sofia Plaza Hotel which is near the metro central railway station. I learnt from other forums that it was highly recommended NOT to go to that station at night because of unsafe. Is it true? If not, which metro exit is nearest to the hotel?

2. I wanted to book a train ticket to Burgas. However, the BDZ online ticket system does not include all options and hence i need to buy the ticket in station kiosks. I wonder if I can buy a ticket for 10:30 if I arrive the kiosk at 9:00. Please advice.

3. Finally, I want to travel around by bus. Nevertheless, I was told that there are many thefts on the bus. Is it real?

Thank you for your assistance.

Joe

Hello Joe,
Don't worry about the metro, I've only taken it once and it was at night, had no problem what so ever. On the train ticket, since it's October and no one goes to the coast anymore I don't see a problem buying a ticket an hour before takeoff. Traveling by bus and trolleys around the city will not be an issue in my opinion, now let me say if you are one of those tourists that wears a fanny pack with all you money and a camera around the neck then yes, you will get robbed. Just like in any country be aware of your surroundings, don't flash a bunch of cash when buying things and diff don't carry your passport with you, leave it in the hotel save, a picture ID is good enough for identification. Also I would recoment not to use your credit or debit card unless you really have to. (Your # and pin might get recorded and used).

Thank you Kris0x0  :thanks: