Opening a bank account in Lithuania

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Lithuania ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Lithuania ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

In my experience opening a bank account in Lithuania is very difficult. I am the wife of an ex-pat who is paid in euros to an offshore account, and I have an independent income from companies I own in the UK. I want to bring into Lithuania enough sterling/euros to cover our everyday expenses, but as the Litar is such a poor currency none of the offshore foreign exchange bureaux are interested in this business. Various banks here have told me that I would only be able to get an account (and a very limited one, at that, with no ATM or direct debit facilities which I need for car lease) if I were to provide a reference from my employer with documentary evidence that I am resident in Lithuania, working in Lithuania, and having ALL my salary paid into the Lithuanian bank account. I have provided banking references from THREE UK banks, but this is not enough. I'm still trying, and welcome any positive news from other ex-pats.

I have two bank accounts here, had no problem opening either one, everything was easy enough.  Try SEB in Vilnius- (outside Vilnius you may have some troubles with English)  I was surprised to read the previous response, as I simply had no troubles at all.  My only problem was with USA banks, because I cannot make international transfers online from a USA bank, but I can from my Lithuanian banks.  I find banking here pretty easy, except they charge you for every little thing you can think of.  They even charge you for doing you the favor of returning your money to you.  oh well....  Banks are banks.  Thieves all.

in answer to specific questions- the first account I opened with just my passport.  The second I opened when I had a residency card.  Note I opened one about 10 years back, the other about 5 years ago.  Perhaps they have made things tougher.

It took about 30 minutes to open the account, and about 30 minutes waiting.  That's one irritating thing here... waiting- waiting- everywhere.  The banks and grocery stores here, were they to operate with the same level of service in the USA, would be closed in less than two months, I imagine. 

For foreign banks, try SEB, or DNB Nord,

I dont know about loans.  But I have expat friends here who got house loans to build new houses... so-  also you can get credit cards and bank cards, which I would highly recommend getting at least a cash card.

Ar there any Lithuanian Banks that can open an account for you through post and offers a Lithuanian Certificate of Deposit that offers up 35% annual return? If so, please let me know which bank with contact details.

Thx,
Joseph

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct