Volunteering in Mauritius

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Mauritius?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Mauritius?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

There are so many things and places where you can volunteer to do something beneficial to the community. Although is is a benefit if you can speak French you can get by without it.
The most popular work it seems is working for Paws looking after animals. they have a charity shop in Grand Bay and various places where you can help. People are needed to collect dogs for sterilization and als to act as ambulancces for hurt dogs.
If you want to work with people there are various groups helping in schools, teaching locals to make crafts which can be sold. Writing and reading classes are badly needed as is language education.
We are involved in a community Garden where we need lots of help just getting it up and running. I would be glad to hear from some people who would be prepared to do some hands on work in the garden clearing and making beds and getting the project off the ground.
You can also try Noubaz which is a group dealing with addictions. I am sure the team there would appreciate some assistance. They do a good job. Then there is also Chrystalide ?? or something like that in Bambous helping woman with problems. It is near the stadium in Bambous. A word of warning. Mauritians are lovely people and very proud with fragile egos. Not a bad thing just the way t is. Go in easy and be diplomatic when offering advice. They dont need you to take over the show. Of course that goes for everyone else but in the garden we want action and not words.

With love Gabby

red cross

Hello!! You gotta be kidding me,, that you are part of this forum just blows my mind and the volunteering you speak if my resume fits so many of the criteria mentioned,,horticulture, veterinary, counselling, and English Language in which I am currently studying through TEFL,,, looks like this may be where I am supposed to be,,, can also achieve great things through a skills transfer program,  teaching basic life skill and into the more financially viable skills, like handcrafts and leatherwork for the tourist market,, sandal and shoe repair is a winner!!! Whooo! Whooo! I am on my way 😊

Gabby,, Carol here, just posted a reply to your volunteer blog!!

Love and light
Carol

Yes, sure you would be a great asset Carol. You just have to have a resident visa first and that is the hardest part of it.

Hi, thanks for this post!
I'm interested as I may spend a bit more time in Mauritius next year
and have an idea that may work to the good of the community and be of use
to the community as well. So, any details
or information - about one goes about that sort of idea -
in Mauritius - would be most appreciated!
I've done heaps of volunteering of different sorts,
in many places and love it. It is good to work
on something that is for the good of all in that community.
x Peace, old susanne

Hi Gabby
I'm going to be arriving in Mauritius very soon - with a residence permit, and would like to get involved in being part of the community. So will be in touch when I arrive

Hello,
I am living in St Pierre , Moka and would like to give free english language sessions to community centres nearby.
Could somebody help me to have the contacts please?
Thanks.

Hi Gabby
The garden project sounds right up my alley! I assume that it's in Tamarin?
I live in the North, so would only drive down once a week - what days do you all work?
Please let me know the relevant details.
Regards
Veronique
PS Are you the same Gabby that comments on the My Mauritian Garden site?
PPS Does anyone know of something similar in the Trou aux Biches area?

Hi Veronique,
Yes i am the same Gabby,. How are you?
As i have been unable to pay much attention to the project it is stuttering at the moment but it would be good to get it up and running and start panting and getting the local people involved. We have a Facebook page called Tamarin Community Garden.Perhaps we can look at this differently. What day would suit you? We have a lot of people on the Facebook site and it would be great to get them physically involved. Of course the best scenario would be to get the people who are actually going to benefit from the garden to do the work.

Hi Gabby
I'm getting there - it's been a long road!

I've recently come back from overseas, so am getting myself organised - so far, I'm busy on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and am planning to do an art course - no idea yet what day.

I agree that it's really important to get the end-users involved from the get-go as otherwise they don't appreciate the effort that has gone into it, consequently don't appreciate what's being handed to them, and so don't look after it.

Perhaps you could arrange a meeting for everyone who's interested, and we could get together and make a plan to get it moving.

Anyway, let me know if anything moves on it - I'm definitely interested.

Regards
Veronique

I live near Tamarin and would like to help out with the garden but as I work it would need to be at the weekend.
Jenny

Hi
My name is Roshanara Durgauhee and I am I shall be visiting Mauritius as from 1st October until 26TH October.
I am a British citizen however I can speak French and creole and I would be pleased to assist in a voluntary activity which could use my skills .

Let me know by Email.

My email details are as follows

[email protected]

I am interested in Mauritius and their culture. In my anticipation, I was considering Mauritius to do my graduate studies. If volunteering there is possible for me, I would also like to volunteer there in whatever area(s). I am a Liberian and very interested in moving to Mauritius someday.

Thanks.

Hi Malcomedoe, and others,

I wonder if my first post, (quoted here) got thru... I posted it a couple of weeks ago

susanneah wrote:

Hi, thanks for this post!
I'm interested as I may spend a bit more time in Mauritius next year
and have an idea that may work to the good of the community and be of use
to the community as well. So, any details
or information - about one goes about that sort of idea -
in Mauritius - would be most appreciated!
I've done heaps of volunteering of different sorts,
in many places and love it. It is good to work
on something that is for the good of all in that community.
x Peace, old susanne

Hi
I m interest in gardening,hand work,making  and teaching drawing .plz guide me how to take part in your organization .I.  belong to Pakistan
Here my job also belong to Volunteery .

Hi Hasnain, I would love to work on my drawing skills! If you start a session teaching drawing, I would love to be one of your pupils... next time I arrive. best wishes in Mauritius, we have found it lovely. Peace, Susanne