Honduran cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Honduras?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Honduras and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

My favorite food in la ceiba is Applebee's.

No I have never been to Honduras.  I can't convince the wife to go.  The only place she will go is Hawaii. 

One day I will buy a place in Honduras.

Believe me, I have never heard of anyone ever remarking over the great foods of Honduras after returning home from a visit. I'm not saying the there are not some exceptional cooks here, my housekeeper is a great cook. Local every day foods are very basic and boring compared to other cultures. Basic rice, beans, cooked with little to no seasonings. No slab of bacon with the beans and the rice is just plain cooked rice. Why anyone would want to go out to eat in a restaurant is beyond me, it's the same as at home. Basic Beef, seldom tender. Pork, over cooked. Chicken. Street corn grilled is tasty, the boiled is often over cooked. The corn used is what we would call field corn, not the tasty sweet corn used int most U.S. places. Foods are fresh, meats are not aged or inspected.   Some of the most interesting dishes are made from the fresh corn.

Try to find a garifuna place where they serve kingfish fried in coconut oil, with rice and beans and fried plantain. Or ask where you may find a sopa marinera (seafood soup). In La Ceiba there was a fancy restaurant downtown, but I forgot the name. I gave it three stars....
You have to look for the "famous" places known for their quality honduran specialties like sopa de mondongo, tapado (another soup). In San Pedro Sula or Tegucigalpa there are plenty of good restaurants, but sometimes the "poor" places use "grandmas recipes" and are better.
Good luck.

Jorge777 wrote:

Try to find a garifuna place where they serve kingfish fried in coconut oil, with rice and beans and fried plantain. Or ask where you may find a sopa marinera (seafood soup). In La Ceiba there was a fancy restaurant downtown, but I forgot the name. I gave it three stars....
You have to look for the "famous" places known for their quality honduran specialties like sopa de mondongo, tapado (another soup). In San Pedro Sula or Tegucigalpa there are plenty of good restaurants, but sometimes the "poor" places use "grandmas recipes" and are better.
Good luck.

Is the place in la ceiba called Suzanne's?
Word on the Internet is that's the place to eat.

No, it was named after its owner, a congressman, famous in La Ceiba, I think.

Rodolfo´s?

The typical plate is roasted meat or sausage, rice, beans, avocado with white cheese tortillas and sour cream. Chicken is also extremely popular. Hondurans use little hot sauces or peppers.

The Garifunas eat more fish and love fried green plantain cooked in coconut oil. The Miskito Indians eat quite a bit of sea turtle. The favorite bean of the Honduras is small and red. I enjoy all of the food in Honduras

I love their ribs!

Soups can be very popular. Tapado is  very good, all sorts of vegetables and meats cooked with coconut oil. Mondongo is delicious, especially in Santa Lucía, FM.

Well everyone in Honduras knows that bailadas is the food most eaten, especially on the street. They are like a taco but are filled with different things. To see this in action check my videos from the streets of La Ceiba, this is the real Honduras with real Hondurans!

- youtube.com/watch?v=T9H_pzRjznY

- youtube.com/watch?v=3Zt8AQdyVNg

Also see a typical Honduran woman making tortillas by hand in her primitive kitchen

- youtube.com/watch?v=Ggoq4RT67zQ

Thanks Dean!

Hey Priscilla,

Believe me, the most popular plate here on Honduras are the Baleadas, they are just perfect.

Baleadas! Cuisine at its finest!

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10987360_1486667718300595_3933631052566870398_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11855810_875449832532888_7810619167347166998_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=8f6728a0de4ef64fecd1eae020c26a17&oe=568B6064

I noticed people posting baleadas, yes eggs, beans, mantiquilla with (or without) the chile is great in a flour tortilla. I love them. However people don't seem to know that there is more to Honduran gourmet than that.. I do because asked the locals what they like most and met a chef who introduced me to the buffet of 20-30 plates.

EPICURE ~ Bakery, Tea Room, Coffee and Gourmet Restaurant:
Located @ Col.Trejo 19 Ave. (and aprox. Calle 10) S.O. #92, San Pedro, Cortes, Honduras

Epicure ofrece una amplia variedad de bocadillos dulces y salados, con lo más alto en calidad y sabor, que puedes acompañar con nuestros tés o cafés.

Epicure offers a wide variety of sweet and savory snacks, with the highest in quality and taste, you can accompany with our teas or coffees.

They have amazingly delicious pastrys, macarons are heavenly, cake, and other professionally made and served baked goods. They also offer many soups, sandwhiches (i.e. paninis) and offer a salad bar buffet that features many many types of Honduran cuisine.

The food is incredible, the service excelente, and the restaurant is gorgeous. If you are looking to try some real Honduran food while visiting or if you live near San Pedro Sula, Honduras you MUST try this restaurant.

Take a trip to visit what I believe to be the nicest restaurant I've ever seen, here in Honduras or in the United States, and try some of the tastiest most fresh Honduran cuisine around. Lunch, snacks, business or family.. whatever the occasion this is the place for the best food! Seriously it is beyond words; wonderful and delicioso!

They also have a vip room for more comfort or privacy or do party rentals for a larger group.

Here in the Cayman Islands, resident Honduraneans are known for liking iguana meat. Is that a big thing in Honduras?

"The Garifunas eat more fish and love fried green plantain cooked in coconut oil. The Miskito Indians eat quite a bit of sea turtle. The favorite bean of the Honduras is small and red. I enjoy all of the food in Honduras"...

Yes, I was offered and tried eating one of the eggs of a turtle, it looked unappetizing but it was bien/good with all the vegetables y chile picante. The women with me, although Honduran, did not want to try. A small girl was selling them out of a cooler with a plastic cup and spoon for .50cents I believe.

2. And yes in smaller villages they do eat iguana my girlfriend tells me

This looks good , is it only in San Pedro Sula?
And what is the price USD?