Fast mobile data SIM (at the airport) and fibre broadband in Mauritius

I'm moving to Mauritius in three weeks and I'm finding the mobile and broadband Internet options a little depressing compared to what I'm used to in London (unlimited mobile data, unlimited fibre broadband at 1 Gbps speed!).

It looks like my best options in Mauritius are Orange mobile prepay package at Rs 299 for 1 GB data, and then the 30 Mbps fibre broadband allowing 150 GB of data.  I'll likely burn through these data limits, so I'll have to be a bit more economical with my data usage I guess.

Does anyone know of any better options?  Unlimited fast mobile data and unlimited 30 Mbps (or higher) fibre broadband is what I would really like!

And finally, I'll be arriving at the airport on Saturday evening.  Can I pick up an Orange SIM card at the airport at this time (I've read I can pick one up at the AHRIM desk just after customs), and then set it up for the above data package before I leave the airport?

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Hi, would love to know where in London you were actually getting 1gbps on downstream...

Not much help but I also struggled with options.I use extensive online conferencing and much to my surprise have had no real issues using a 1M ADSL connection - at least there are no data limits!

Hi!

FYI, Internet is very slow and very expensive (if fast). Your data bundles will run out pretty quick if you are used to 1Gbps. On Orange LTE you will hit about 25 to 30Mbps depending on location, otherwise it will fall back to 3G speeds (around 10Mbps).

Best bet is to install ADSL or Fibre at home. But then again Fibre is only available in very few areas. Oh and it takes about a month to install the internet (2 weeks phone line and 2 weeks ADSL installation). Fibre took me a month from application.

It would cost you 20 pounds equivalent for 1mbps ADSL (yes!) or 10Mbps fibre with a limit of 50GB per month. I burnt through the 50 GB in ONE day, because I watch Netflix and Hulu at home and watch stuff in HD, so I've subscribed to 10Mbps unlimited which will cost me around 55 pounds equivalent. - oh and its asymmetric, uplink for 1Mbps ADSL is 200kbps and for 10Mbps is 2Mbps

The telco will also need 100 quid as deposit for foreigners when you apply for the line and a further 20 pounds installation fee. :)

For me, I just went for the fastest I could get, then add on services that I would otherwise pay for separately to make it worth the monthly payment (netflix, hulu, voip phone, home office, internet radio, online gaming etc)

Hi Neo-UK,

We're in a very similar situation to you so I was wondering how you got on in the end.... any tips re mobiles and internet? My questions are identical to the ones you had a few months ago.

We're moving to Tamarin on the 31st October.

Thanks in advance,
Sophie

Hello

Check out our discussion at https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472175
I doubt you will be able to get a SIM at the airport, but you could tell your taxi to take you to the closest orange shop and get one. Tell them to give you Rs 1000 airtime and activate 1GB of internet. Should get you moving along.

Of course you can get a SIM at the airport. Franglaise Mummy, PM for more details if you like.

Oh, where at the airport?

Yeah there are agents like ABC Car Rental or Mauritius Post, but they're likely to charge more than Rs100 for a starter pack...

My advise if someone like Franglaise Mummy is moving to the West, go to Cascavelle as there are Emtel and Orange showrooms there. Might get a prepaid starter pack at first, and when you have proof of address move to postpaid.

Thanks for all this information, it's really helpful!