New members of Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Newbie on Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread
New members of Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015 continues below!

We are from Ontario, Canada. lLive in Costa Rica for almost 5 years.
Really enjoy weather, availability of fresh and good quality foods, ability to hike every morning and enjoy this buitiful mountains, pastures, friendly locals, ability to travel all over the country to waterfalls, volcanoes, beaches, hot springs. We love it here!
Of course, there is a lot can be done to improve asphalt quality, implement real addresses with streets or avenues, lower the cost of imported foods...
But even so, we would prefer to be here. We working on improvement of our Spanish...

i have  work and live  in phonixe,boston,florida and  Montreal, Canada for 11 years. l would like to Live in Costa Rica  or .

What is holding you from living in CR?

weather

Whether you can or cannot decide?

Hi my name is Greg, coming to costa rica this winter for a few months.  Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with insect bites and fever relating to same. 

Thanks Greg,

i decided and would like to move  to latin.  pls contact me

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Hi Greg;
We had been coming to Costa Rica since 2010 and moved here for good last year.  We get far less bites than we ever did in Alberta, Canada.  We see a lot more ants and such but for the most part they are outside.  We do have an insect guy that sprays the house once a year (sometimes does a touch up) so we seldom see many insects in the house.  It will vary greatly by the region of Costa Rica you are in so do not rely on my observation.  We are in the Puriscal area.

Bandit2, are you referring to Dengue, the virus spread by mosquitoes, that affects thousands of people here, every year? A more serious virus is Chikungunya and only a few hundred cases have been diagnosed in Costa Rica, at least according to the last report that I read..

It is unlikely that you would be infected here, if only visiting for a short period in the dry season.

It is important to make sure you are not around 'standing water', to avoid contracting it. Some areas are notoriously worse than others, and according to the link provided above, numbers are down this year. This could be that the rainy season started later this year and many areas are very dry and considered to be in 'drought conditions'.

A new 'app' for reporting mosquito hatcheries could prove to be very valuable in fighting this virus.

I caught it a few years ago ... and it deserves it's name of "bone-break fever"  :sick

hello, like this , I wish you a nice stay in Costa Rica , the inceptos not always provacan fiber , nurse here I am living in USA , please , I want to look any further contact , greetings , Glais

Hello !!! first I am sorry if my English is not too good, I live in Orlando FL, but I am from Guatemala, we bought some land in San Ramon, it is already subdivided into 7 quintas and we are planning to move down there as soon as our kids, finish college, (2 years) we are in the process to start the construction in one of the quintas we own, but we are very undecided in what kind of construction, prefab, block, wood etc. any advice will be highly appreciated. and for all of you, keep enjoying the Pura Vida !!

Don't start building anything unless you are already 'on site' or have a very reliable person to oversee and protect your building materials from being stolen.

Suggest sticking to blocks and cement.

Thanks a lot for your advice, we are going to consider it. Wow !

A few years ago, just outside of San Ramon a beautiful modern cement house was built, in full view of the highway and was left empty last year.

Now, all that remains are the walls...which have been  covered in graffiti.

No fixtures.

No windows.

No roof.

We went with block and cement and are very pleased with the results.  Our builder / friend has built two prefab houses at the request of clients recently and in my opinion there are no comparison.  If you want to see pictures of a block and cement house going up let me know and I can point you to an external server where all our pictures are stored.
Cheers .... Terry

Terry

Thanks !!! That sounds great, yes please redirect me there 👍🏻

Gemmell;
Please check your inbox.  I sent the link there along with a password.
Cheers .... Terry

I just got in, one more time thanks for all, I will start looking at them

My name is Lina. My husband and I are coming to Costa Rica in February. He is a U.S. citizen with residency there. I am Filipina. He wants me to see if I like it there enough for us to live there for a while. I would like to know other Filipinas who live in Costa Rica. I will study English there and maybe we will start a small business.

I already spent an HOUR introducing myself here in Costa Rica although I moved here many years ago..with the new format I HOPE it did not get lost :(:(

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=553878

Thanks! 

Closed