Volunteering in Sweden

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Sweden?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Sweden?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

Hej!

A notable organization that may be of interest to you and may need the most help here in Sweden especially now with the refugee crisis is the swedish red cross. They are also involved in a number of other activities. 😊

I am interested in this

I am interested in this and would like to join Red Cross

I would also like to join, but I am wondering will I get paid at least to have for life in Sweden?

There are many international non-profits to choose from. Churches often have opportunities for volunteerism, as well.  I work for the Salvation Army in the USA, and have found the Swedish foundation to be quite helpful in locating a place to volunteer within the ranks. I look forward to that interaction, not so much for the income, but to practice language skills while using my social work and counseling credentials. You can also check with socionom to ask about volunteering to help elderly or in schools. Ask at the hospitals if they have "greeters" or people who direct others or take them to different departments. I think if you like gardening, you might find some volunteer work, especially in the spring, planting the millions of flowers in small gardens around the city. Opportunity abounds. What is your superpower? Share it!

I am  intersted on please to let us know how can i joint .

I am interested

Here is the link to volunteer with the Swedish Red Cross.  Be aware that it is a volunteer opportunity and they more than likely do not pay so make sure you have the heart, time and patience.  I believe it would be a rewarding experience and any volunteering looks great on CV's and resumes and just makes you an all around better person.  The website is in Swedish but check it out!
http://www.redcross.se/?gclid=CjwKEAjwy … oC00Lw_wcB

I am interested to join.

Yes we can volunteer with the Churches too. I did volunteer for a church in Harrisburg in PA during winter season. The church is to provide shelter for homeless during winter season. I use to volunteer three nights a week managing the homeless all night long all by myself. It is a very good experience. Let me tell you my experience. My duty at the church is to serve them what ever we have for dinner, provide beds to the homeless for the night and make & serve the coffee along with the donuts early in the morning. After having the breakfast home less will leave the church for the day and come back in the night. I was asked not to let any one into the church after 10 PM by the pastor. One day it was 11.00 PM temperature was about -8 C outside. Some one knocking on the door. People inside the church were asking me not  open the door because there were no more beds to accommodate some one. I mean it is already over crowded  inside.  I did open the door and there was a man shivering in the cold with out proper winter clothing. I let him in and gave him what ever is left over and made him sleep on my bed. Next day there was a complaint on me stating that I was not following the rules and letting people in after 10 PM. I told the pastor that I did open the door after 10 PM because the man outside the door was shivering in the cold and will die if I dint let him in. Pastor told me I did a good job. I am not looking for money I just wanted to volunteer whether it is Red Cross or Help elderly or to a church outside of USA and I am from India.