What do you like the most in Turkey?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Turkey?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Turkey and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

The first time, I came to Turkey was almost two years ago as a tourist . I moved here a year and a half back.

The reasons why I enjoy my expat life here? Well, despite having its low sides, I think its a great experience to be a stranger anywhere. Same has been the case in Turkey, Other than meeting interesting people, here are some other things that I like about living in Turkey.

The Ottoman architecture in Turkey is astounding and remarkable. You can really visit and revisit the places and would still find it mesmerizing. Have to love it.

Compared to Pakistan, Turkey is greener place and that attracted me immediately.

I was also fascinated by the apparent mix of Eastern & European culture here. Although, I did later discover that the 'European' outlook is pretty much skin deep.

One constant factor that I like most about Turkey, especially Istanbul, is that it has a Sea going around and through the city of Istanbul! It is remarkably fascinating. I mean, how many cities can you name that have a sea going through them. Its amazing!

Oh and

Christine wrote:

What seduced you when settling and living here?

??

I think I am leaving that unrevealed!!  :)

Z

Exactly how we feel about istanbul, green mountains,  sea, fresh air, beautiful architecture, cleanliness, helpful people. No drunks arround, safe, alert police, l adore istanbul and turkish sweets

Ahh well.. Fresh air.. in Istanbul.. Hmm..I'll have to look up for that! : )

siwmman wrote:

Exactly how we feel about istanbul, green mountains,  sea, fresh air, beautiful architecture, cleanliness, helpful people. No drunks arround, safe, alert police, l adore istanbul and turkish sweets

Hi, I am a new member here, would like to share a bit of my experience while living in Turkey. I still remember the time while as a teenager I visited Istanbul back in 1982. Istanbul was pretty rustic, glamorous and untouched . The hotels were fabulous, French influence and interiors and tapestry to die for. I stayed three night in a hotel near the Taxim called the Pera palace. It was actually going back in history. All rooms had a little history attached ,as names of some famous celebrities were displayed, the room that I stayed was named after Victor Emanuel the II, the former ruler of Italy who lived in exile after revolution in Italy. The suite next to my room had a brass plate showing the name of Kemal Ataturk and I still remember the name of Agatha Christie there. I must say each time I visit Istanbul it is a nostalgic experience, its a city with a character, history and a soul. Todays Istanbul has far better infrastructure, cleaner, more upscale and lessor crime. I still remember during one of my visits in 97, I was mugged near Istiklal  street, Lol. but that even happened to me while I was visiting New York so no complaints.

in my prospective Turkey is culturally diverse, geographically ideally located, having the most serene landscape and Azure waters with breath taking beaches . It is a society that has evolved and has great amount of tolerance for foreigners. During my days in Antalya, Gaziantep  and Istanbul I never even once heard a racist remark. Turks are very hospitable people and generally quite friendly as long as you don't push the wrong button.I would rank the Turkish farm produce among the best in the world , the taste of Turkish fruit ,vegetables and honey could be ranked among the best  and goes beyond saying that the ottoman cuisine is among the finest. Well I would definitely like to settle down if I had a choice. I hope to learn more about Turkey from this forum and look forward to hear your experiences.
CHEERS, ROZ

so much to see and do  so much to eat and drink  beaches  you gotta try papas karasi wine

hello Christine,
I am currently in Istanbul, my fourth visit in 4 years. I am a not quite an expat yet, but hope to be soon.
In Turkey, I am able to experience both the old and the new.  This is an ancient, exotic, vibrant city that abounds with the finest cuisine offered by the warm hospitality of the Turkish people. To witness the breathtaking architecture, the glorious sea, straddled across two continents, being able to visit innumerable art galleries, museums and sacred mosques on a daily basis just blows me away!
Simultaneously, you get to experience all of this in a modern, safe environment, being able to shop at exclusive malls and then potter around the city markets, mingling with the locals.
I have great respect for the discipline and hard work of all Turkish people, most of whom toil  to clock in a 15 -hour work day, for their religious leanings, for their simple whole-hearted approach to life in general.
What really seduced me? Being able to 'go back' in time, to feel God in the religious and sacred sights, a constant reminder of my very presence on this earth,  clarifying for me my purpose in life and it's meaning. Truly, Turkey is a blessed city and I feel honored to be able to experience the taste of it all, here and now.
Thanks to you and the rest of the expat team, for your kind dedication to this site, to the founder, Julien, I love your site!

And we thank you for your contribution. : )

Enjoy the day!
Z

zerry wrote:

Thanks to you and the rest of the expat team, for your kind dedication to this site, to the founder, Julien, I love your site!

I like the Environment,Economic and the People of Turkey.