New members of the Reunion Island forum, introduce yourself here

Hey there

I am from South Africa, moved here 3 months ago. Still trying to understand french. Give me a shout if you want to make a plan to meet up

Welcome,
I'm canadian and my wife is French. We're just hitting 6 wks here now. It is taking some getting used to, esp the shark worries. Do you surf?
d

Where in Reunion?

Hi people,
i´m a danish person planning to move to Réunion Island later this yr. Know basic french. Have a Bachelor of Arts (Linguistics) More to follow later. Réunion fits the bill for me. Thanks for this blog and hopefully I can get some vital info!

Michael

Just wondering... any Scandinavians out there?????

Michael

Not met any Scandinavians but plenty of people from Ireland, England, Australia and few from the U.S. and Canada.

Hello,
I am Alex and I would definitly love to meet up with other english speakers. I live in the south as well.

hello everyone.
new mwmber in the forum.please take care of me

mimiapa wrote:

hello everyone.
new mwmber in the forum.please take care of me

you are actually in the forum la réunion... look above .... FORUM / AFRICAAmerica / ....

christ

Hi there, my name is Andre. I have visited Reunion once before and am keen to move to there to improve my French. I am a born and bred South African with dual French/South African citizenship. If anyone is looking for an English speaking young(ish) male, for any work, please get in touch with me. I have a 4-year degree and experience in a number of different fields. Ideally, I think working in tourism would be rewarding. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi all, my name is Sara and I like travelling and discovering other cultures. In fact I was born in Morocco, I studied 5 years in France, and know I am carring out an internship in Malta in Food Industries Engineering. I am already wondering what's gonna be my next destination  :P

Hello, my name is Kate. I'm coming with our 2 children to join my husband who has been working in St Pierre since January. I'm an English teacher and have been living in Madagascar since 2008. We have decided to now move to La Reunion which I came over to see in April and really enjoyed. We will be arriving just before school starts so I hope to meet up with some of you in August/September. We are looking for somewhere to live, even temporary accomodation, any ideas? I surf leboncoin every day, but would welcome any other advice. See you soon.
Kate

Hi Kate

Try - lequotidien.re and - clicanoo.re as well for accommodation.

Thanks, I have been looking at clicanoo, but will look at the other too.

Hello, I am Eliette from Saint Denis. I am French and would like to meet and speak English sometimes. I also speak Italian. A bientôt!

Eli14 wrote:

Hello, I am Eliette from Saint Denis. I am French and would like to meet and speak English sometimes. I also speak Italian. A bientôt!

hi eliette;

have a try at anglais.re....

http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=76 … b1690401c6

you might find what you're looking for!!

christelle

Hey everyone, so we are finally here since last week. Took longer then expected but we are here. We are from mauritius and would love to meet new people. :)

Nice to meet you too.

trois mares here

Hi Everyone!
I'm Lauren and I'm an English person recently moved to Reunion to work as an au pair ! Please hit me up :)

Laurenwooll wrote:

Hi Everyone!
I'm Lauren and I'm an English person recently moved to Reunion to work as an au pair ! Please hit me up :)

hi lauren

where are you going to stay?

christelle

Hi everybody,
I think Lauren's gonna stay in Ste Marie, it's written under her name. :lol:

Hi everyone,

I am Vietnamese and I decided to quit busy Paris to live here. It d be great to meet expats like me :)

Hi everybody.
I'm Astrid. I am danish, born in South Africa and lived my childhood in SA and Cameroun. I now live in Reunion with my 14 year old son, who goes to school in St. Paul. We are staying at the moment at Le Guillaume with my friend from France and her family. I am an antropologist and worked the last 10 years with organisational- and leadership development. I would love to meet people here, locals as well as expats.
Hope to meet you. Astrid

Hello,
my name is Andrea. I am a  32 year old trained sociologist from Vienna/Austria and just arrived to Reunion Island with my partner and our 1 year old baby son. We are planing to stay here for 10 months to learn French (my partner already speaks some French, I am working on it ;)). Currently we are linving in temporary acommodation in Saint Denis, but we would like to move further south (St. Paul or St. Pierre) as soon as possible. I would be very happy to get in contact with other expats. Maybe there is also someone with small children?
Hope to meet you soon,
Andrea

Astrid2015 wrote:

Hi everybody.
I'm Astrid. I am danish, born in South Africa and lived my childhood in SA and Cameroun. I now live in Reunion with my 14 year old son, who goes to school in St. Paul. We are staying at the moment at Le Guillaume with my friend from France and her family. I am an antropologist and worked the last 10 years with organisational- and leadership development. I would love to meet people here, locals as well as expats.
Hope to meet you. Astrid

Hi astrid

welcome to reunion island!
christelle

andreazierler wrote:

Hello,
my name is Andrea. I am a  32 year old trained sociologist from Vienna/Austria and just arrived to Reunion Island with my partner and our 1 year old baby son. We are planing to stay here for 10 months to learn French (my partner already speaks some French, I am working on it ;)). Currently we are linving in temporary acommodation in Saint Denis, but we would like to move further south (St. Paul or St. Pierre) as soon as possible. I would be very happy to get in contact with other expats. Maybe there is also someone with small children?
Hope to meet you soon,
Andrea

hi andrea

i'm not an expat but would love to meet you if ever you chose to stay in st pierre!!

christelle

QuynhTruc wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am Vietnamese and I decided to quit busy Paris to live here. It d be great to meet expats like me :)

welcome to this forum!!

christelle

hi christelle! i am now living near st. pierre (grand bois) and i would be happy to meet you! i will send you a messagenwith my mobile no...

Hi there,Im Albert originally from South Africa, I've been living in Réunion for the past 10 years. I'm trying to get all the South Africans together for a braai at the beach or in the mountains!

Hi Astrid!
Moving to Reunion With my turkish girlfriend october tis yr. Jeg er også dansker og hedder Michael. 😀

Hi

My name is Stephan Hamilton.
I am married with one daughter.
I am currently employed as an Marine engineer Class 3 with Transnet National Authority for. I work as Chief Engineer on tugboats for 10jears +. I am also a qualified Millwright with red seal.  I am looking for job opportunity.

Can you help.
Regards
Stephan Hamilton

Hello everyone,
Recently moved to La Réunion from London with my (french) husband and two children (4 and 2).  We've made a few French friends but would love to meet some Anglophones as well.  I get very strange looks when I speak English to the children when we're out and about!  We have just moved to les Avirons after a month in St Pierre. 
Look forward hearing from anyone who wants to meet up.
Caroline

Hello all,

I am interested in moving to Reunion Island but, fear I do not know how to really go about it. I am located in Los Angeles, CA and have never really been overseas. I am 29 and in the film and TV industry but, feel that it is crushing my soul. All my life all I have ever wanted to do was live in mountains or in some exotic location and explore everything it has to offer. However, my whole life I have been pushed to forget about my dreams and go to school to get a great job. Which I know have. I cannot do it anymore and want to chase after what I think would make me most happy. I have no idea where to start so any help would be greatly appreciated. What is the cost of living on the island? Where is the best place to live with great access to trails? What did it cost for you to move out to the island? I am single so it will only be myself.

Thank you!

Best,
Michael

Hello Michael,

I think before you do anything else you need to make a trip to Reunion to see whether you like the place; you'd get a better idea of the cost of living and where you'd potentially like to live.

Hi everyone, Hi caroline, hi Michael,
Of course I would be interested in meeting a new hiking mate! For the moment I keep it on my own to rather safe hikes. I would love to meet some anglophones ! It feels rather unnatural to me to be cut from this part of my education. The cost of living on the island is interesting when you are consuming local fruit and vegetables bought on the everyday streetmarkets. I am convinced that dreams never take place there where you expect them to find. Nevertheless the only way to move on in life is by following that track, which often isn't the most easiest. For sure this is a completely different picture than L.A! For the moment I am living in Les Avirons and I will be moving to La Saline next winter.
Caroline let us have a chat at the local bakery 'des Avirons' whenever you want.
Please let me know
Marc

Hello Reunion Island forum.

I first visited Reunion 4 years ago as part of a cultural exchange stage show between Reunion and South Africa. I fell in love, not just with the land and people but with my (now) Creole wife. After spending a few years together in Durban, South Africa we have relocated here to start a life in the tropics. I have completed the A1 level French course and can understand most conversational French. It is a challenge to learn but I enjoy it immensely. I am currently searching for work, either in the performing arts, design and illustration, writing (English) or tourism (For the English speaking world at the moment). It is tough to be an Expat but a small price to pay when you live in paradise.

Hello Julien

My name is Tina and a British citizen living and working in London. I have been dating a guy from Le Tampon for the past 2.5 years who gave up his life in France to move to London (lucky girl!!!). He has finally decided that we should move back to Le Tampon in October 2017. It is a dramatic change for me as i have no clue where to start and yes, i know first things first is to learn French ( ooh! it is damn hard especially when you live and work in a place where it is not the first language or you only here it when passing tourists on the crazy streets of London). I work in banking as a compliance/regulatory analyst with a law background but i know the Island life is different. I would like to venture out into business if possible since my French will not be up to scratch to carry on with my career. Anyhooooo....... I am super excited about this new chapter and dream. Looks like it is my turn to give up my cosy super fast life in London for the love of my life ( shall i call it compromising and sharing dreams).

I came across this website and i am trying to connect with expats who can help me with understanding what to expect before the October move and how best i can adjust knowing that the French language is the first hurdle i face. I am super excited that there are people out there i can connect with.

I will be grateful if I can be friends with as many of you as possible and if it is okay to ask you a few questions for guidance along the way. I never give up on challenges and this is one journey i hope it will be fun and hopefully we ( my partner & I and maybe a few little happy feet) can live happily ever after on the Island.

Hopefully in October when finally there, i can get to say thank you in person.

Many thanks

Tina

Hey

Good to find you here. How are you finding your trip and do you speak French too?

Hi
Did you finally make that move? Are you still in London. I have just joined the group and would like to connect with you to find out how you did the move?

Regards

Tina

Hi Michael

Great to find you here. Would be great to share some of our aspirations and skills we have. I am in the same boat like you.  Did you finally make that move?

regards

Tina

Closed