Moving to Belize on a US Permanent Resident/Green Card?

My husband has his Permanent Resident/Greed Card from the USA and I am a USA citizen. We are planning on moving to Belize soon. I am curious if anyone in this forum has done that? If so, what did they have to go through?

Hi bethb63,

Would you mind telling us for why you chose Belize ?

When are you planning to go ?

:)

Bhavna

Expat-blog team.

I think it would depend on what citizenship your husband holds.

We chose Belize for many reasons. We "were" planning on leaving next month. He is originally from South Africa.

I'm interested in relocating to Belize with my wife and daughter.
Are there area's that have an American community we could investigate?
Also what is required for being able to stay once we arrive=income and asset wise?
Thanks in advance
Richard

Bethb63
Welcome to Belize, a wonderful place to live.   The U.S. green card has some pitfalls to be aware of.   I know a man in Maya Beach who is originally Australian.  Married to an American, he has a U.S. green card but they now live in Belize.  The U.S. immigration dept learned that he no longer lives in the U.S. and they are trying to revoke his green card.  Because he is a business owner, he has some wealth in Belize, in the U.S. and in Australia.  The U.S. is attempting to tax all of his assets under their rules for people who give up their citizenship/residency in the U.S.   He did not initiate the action and is not wanting to give up his green card, the U.S. is forcing the action, along with the taxation.   You should learn more about the rules for keeping a U.S. green card if you are not actually residing in the U.S.,  and what the tax implications are if you give up the green card.

Richintucson
Belize is a very diverse country.  You should spend some time in all of the regions before committing to a residence.  Personal preference will be the key.  Some love the mountains and jungles around San Ignacio.  The agriculture and proximity to shopping (in Mexico) brings people to Corozal.   San Pedro is pure island bliss.   In Southern districts,  Hopkins to Placencia,  many ex pats from many nations are forming vibrant communities with great social life.   
Check out all of the regions to see what fits for you.
I chose the north end of the Placencia peninsula because it feels like an island with beach and water sports, but is connected to the jungle and mountains for those inland experiences.  The area where the peninsula meets the mainland had everything for us.
Enjoy your search.

Thanks for your reply to my post. However, my family and I are citizens of the U.S., so we have no green cards. Regarding the taxation issue your husband is dealing with this is one of my concerns with the govt here, they are imposing taxation worldwide to citizens of the U.S. who reside outside of the country, as well as citizens (or green card holders) who have assets-bank accounts outside of the U.S.

My understanding is that many banks don't want the hassle of dealing with these new U.S. Laws, and therefore are refusing Americans access to open an account, or closing accounts of Americans that already have an account with their (overseas) bank.

This is precisely one of many reasons I am interested in relocating, as in my opinion the govt here is obsessed with rules, regulations, and control over individual rights and liberty's.

Good luck with your issues on assets in the U.S. and the green card situation.

Is it possible for you to share info on a room for rent from you or a trusted friend? I would like to explore the area and enjoy nature. I don't drink or smoke and lead a quiet life. Regards,Madeline2

Are you moving from the USA or Canada?  From the USA you can get a QRP if you do not want to get your passports stamped every month.  The QRP you pay $2,000 USD, then $30 each year thereafter.  If you just pay the monthly fee, it's $50 BZD per person to start and stand in line to get your passport stamped.  After 6 mos the cost jumps to $100 BZD/month per person.   That translates to $50 USD/person/month. After a year of that hassle, you can apply for residency, but the residency applications are stacked to the roof.  My friend has been waiting a little over a year for his approval.  After 5 years you apply for citizenship.  If you are in the USA you can call my magic jack and I can share more info with you. ++++

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls

Madeline
Check this website.   Wonderful people and a wonderful house.

BeachfrontinBelize.com

Best Regards