Afriqiyah airlines

Just used Afriqiyah on a trip from Tripoli to Lagos with the family. The flight we took left Tripoli at 8pm with less than 50 passengers which was great as our 2 yr old got a row to herself to sleep.

Pros: Direct flight, no need to trek through various airports or have to go back thru Europe. Good safety record. New fleet of Airbus A319's and A320's. Cheap as chips compared with the majors. Generous baggage allowance.

Cons: Onboard service is shaite. Food is edible, just. No booze. In flight movies are censored.

Service: 2/10
Comfort: 3/10
Value for money: 7/10 (if you're paying yourself)

thanks for the tip.  Now if you could just help me find a hair colorist.

Took Afriqiyah into London Gatwick once.  Cheaper than British Airways into Heathrow.  We were delayed on the return trip by several hours for no apparent reason though which was pretty lame.   

I thought the censored movies were a trip - I laughed more at the blurry patches over the Mom character' "cleavage" than the movie itself.  What was strange though was the beefed up customs presence on the return trip from Gatwick.  They were going over everyone with a fine tooth comb on the way out - trying to catch those that had overstayed their welcome in the UK.   

The lack of booze sucks after you have been in country for a while but overall they are fine for a short haul.  I would not rely on them to be on time if you are catching a second flight though.

New routes to Jo'burg, Manila and Beijing are in the works.

Have booked another flight with them to Dubai in November.  Fare was 380 USD - not bad.

my husb flew with them to Bengazi - said it was better than the other Libyan what-it's-called air company

We travelled back from Lagos to Tripoli on Afriqiyah - same as the outward journey, around 60 passengers on the same brand new A320 which takes around 200! :rolleyes:

Same useless service and couldn't-care-less cabin crew but at least we had room to spread out and sleep on the overnight flight and it arrived in Tripoli a few mins early.

Chaos at immigration (nothing new there) with only 2 boxes open and 100's waiting to get through.

Had to cancel our trip.  Had a crap time trying to deal with Afriqiyah to cancel and get a refund.  We booked online.  Though we were given only one choice of fare, apparently it was the non-refundable one.  Nowhere were we given an option to choose another ticket and I certainly don't recall any warnings prior to purchase.  All I can find is some terms and conditions that talk about luggage allowance and reserving the right to change anything anytime at their discretion, blah, blah, blah.  Zero documentation about whether or not the ticket is changeable or refundable on the e-ticket.  Big time joke of an operation, not surprisingly, this is Libya afterall.  They made us jump through hoops to be able to issue us a cheque as a refund as they are unable to reverse charges on our VISA but then decided a week later, (after finding out we're Canadian interstingly enough), that we don't get a refund at all.  Buyer beware.  This outfit is as crooked as the rest of this joint. 

Probably all right most of the time but if something goes wrong you are stuck dealing with a bunch of bumbling morons that invent the rules along the way. 

They really gotta start letting Canadians out of here - I can tell just by the way I have worded this post that I have reached my expiry date and gone completely sour!

Tried to book some online tickets this weekend for Mrs S and the snapper to travel to Lagos. It showed me availability and a reasonable price but the online payment option didn't work.

Mrs S goes into their office today to try and pay cash and off of a sudden there's hardly anything left in economy! None of the staff spoke English (or could be bothered to) and the first screw up was booking a single journey; once she'd got them straightened out there, they booked the child on an infant's ticket (doesn't get her own seat) despite being over 2 years old!

The final price quoted was over 1,000 Lyd more than the online price advertised 2 days ago. Yes, I know fares can change depending on how soon to the travel date the flights are booked, but this lot were about as much use as boobs on a boar pig!

hi, finding cheap flight ticket is really problem, also finding best quality and best price airways, so just make a search on google, for example i found flights blog site. There are lots of sites like this

[moderated]

oh yeah.... sue them in court.  you'll get about as far as you did on your flight today.

According to Al Jazeera they are doing Great Business....

justice4pal wrote:

oh yeah.... sue them in court.  you'll get about as far as you did on your flight today.

this is England, not some corrupt third world country..here you need to give refunds, not make excuses and lie about the Libyan office being shut. Funnily enough today was a different story, I can get a refund suddenly...Buyer beware, this company is chaos

Fran Mc wrote:

doing great business does not equal good service...BT are doing great business yet their service is one of the worst

i've flown them several times. brand new planes, friendly staff, horrible food...i mean to the point that i would be embarrassed to serve it....but the passengers...LOL mostly africans...it's quite an experience. :D

jey stone wrote:
Fran Mc wrote:

doing great business does not equal good service...BT are doing great business yet their service is one of the worst

I was been sarcastic.......Hmmmm perhaps you missed that segment when they accused them of flying in Mercenaries