To egyptians and all expats! lets fight it

I am not saying it is the reason for the harassment but it does not help muslim sisters. we are seen by the image we show in the way we dress. I'm american and even in the states if a woman is showing too much skin anyone (man or woman) will and can call her names which are not pleasant because they are seen as cheap and dont respect themselves.

many times nothing happens (in america) because of laws also.. but its like every 2 minutes someone somewhere in america gets raped. so to me thats not nothing happening. once it happens what good is the law if the damage is done.

the girls wearing the tight clothes WANT to show off their bodies which is haram. I agree no one deserves to get harassed and if the men really cared they would say.. why do you dress like this? why show your charms for all to see? etc. not asking if they want sex. I think sometimes the harassment comes from men thinking the woman deserves to get harassed. I know some men think if a woman is bad she deserves to get treated badly. It's not the way in Islam but society. Also.. these tourist women going topless on the beach in an ISLAMIC country is blatant disrespect for the religion and the customs in another country. I'm sorry but its wrong. I don't want to see naked people with their butts hanging out in the streets. I find it a disgrace, embarrassing and a bad influence.

MrsIsmail wrote:
aligirl wrote:
layla1313 wrote:

The girls who wear hijab and tight clothes are rebelling against the system. I blame the parents(especially the mothers) for allowing them to do it. I find the egyptian mothers are sadly lacking in parenting skills and let their kids run around with no discipline. theyre lazy! its also not islamic at all.

I dont understand, are the girls guilty of herrasment because they are wearing tight clothes? In Spain we wear tight clothes and nothing happens, because there are laws to protect us, the problem are not the parents! 

I think it is great that the egyptian girls, eventhough they decide to wear hiyabs, decide to keep their identity by being free to wear what they choose to, tight or not tight, it shouldnŽt be any of our business.

No I wasn't judging Egyptian girls, just comparing.
Many people say that foreigners 'ask' to be harassed by what they are wearing, meaning that by showing a bit of arm or leg skin equals the right to be harassed on the street. Speaking from personal experience when in Cairo in 2010, I wore a loose skirt that fell below the knee and always covered my chest with a scarf and my top sleeves went to the elbow. I would have Egyptian friends question what I was wearing "oh thats not a good idea". But when I pointed out the a hijab girls in the street, albeit covered head to toe in clothing, you could still see every curve of their body. And they had no answer for it!
So who has the right to question which is better?!

You can see from my picture that I wear hijab and I was a Muslim then as I am now, and I wear a hijab most probably for the same reasons as those girls! (I was being funny with the father comment, its more to do with Islamic society)

The simple fact is no one has the right to harass and no one deserves to be harassed - whether in burka or bikini!

The people that do it should be ashamed of themselves and women shouldn't tolerate it and men shouldn't allow it if their ears hear it!

Islam teaches respect and many people need to be reminded of it.

As for the Egyptian mothers comment from Layla... I'm not generalising but from watching my 2 sister in laws over the past 18th months I sadly have to agree with her. Its hard for me to witness such lazy parenting and the 4 children, all under the age of 6, are allowed to run riot. For example: the thing I hate most about Egypt is all the rubbish ruining this beautiful country. I believe kids need to be taught to put rubbish in the bin/trash can. When I watch my nieces and nephew throw their crisp/chips packets etc on the floor of their own home, then how can you ask them to not do it outside? Respect and care needs to start at home for it to then be applied to the outside world. :(

At least I feel like I'm doing my bit for Egypt when I am at work and teach all the kids in kindergarten :D

and about the egyptian mothers comment they are the ones that spend the most time with the children and they let them run all over and dont teach them how to behave. everywhere I live I hear kids screeching and screaming and they climb all over peoples cars..throw trash. Its like they have no supervision.  I agree that the children need to be taught how to behave.are these the same kids that grow up and harass people? maybe theyre not totally lazy but too nice perhaps. again not judging but an observation. if I was judging I would have to exact a punishment which I did not. thanks

layla1313 wrote:

Im not judging.. its my opinion.. much different than judging. also in the Qur'an it says women should wear loose fitting garments as not to expose the shape of our bodies. that is the law of Allah and can not be mistaken otherwise.

nashwakhairy wrote:
aligirl wrote:

What is not Islamic at all is to JUDGE like you just did. The best hiyab, is the one we wear in our hearts.

Thank U.

layla1313 wrote:

Im not judging.. its my opinion.. much different than judging. also in the Qur'an it says women should wear loose fitting garments as not to expose the shape of our bodies. that is the law of Allah and can not be mistaken otherwise.

nashwakhairy wrote:
aligirl wrote:

What is not Islamic at all is to JUDGE like you just did. The best hiyab, is the one we wear in our hearts.

Thank U.

This is NOT true, the Holy CorŽan does NOT indicate "women should wear loose fitting garments as not to expose the shape of our bodies". It sais to MEN and WOMEN to guard modesty, but it does not get into such details. Do not confuse the word of Allah, swt, with words written by men. In my opinion, to put in GodŽs mouth mens thoughts is far more dangerous than to wear tide clothes.

No words...what Islam sais about looking to other peopleŽs atractives is to lower your look and look elsewhere- not to herrass!!!

Really, Layla, with women like you we will never solve this issue, as you are once and again excusing such horrible acts. There is no excuse, and please stop using a beautiful religion to argue in this topic becase itŽs completely out of place.

MrsIsmail wrote:
aligirl wrote:
layla1313 wrote:

The girls who wear hijab and tight clothes are rebelling against the system. I blame the parents(especially the mothers) for allowing them to do it. I find the egyptian mothers are sadly lacking in parenting skills and let their kids run around with no discipline. theyre lazy! its also not islamic at all.

I dont understand, are the girls guilty of herrasment because they are wearing tight clothes? In Spain we wear tight clothes and nothing happens, because there are laws to protect us, the problem are not the parents! 

I think it is great that the egyptian girls, eventhough they decide to wear hiyabs, decide to keep their identity by being free to wear what they choose to, tight or not tight, it shouldnŽt be any of our business.

No I wasn't judging Egyptian girls, just comparing.
Many people say that foreigners 'ask' to be harassed by what they are wearing, meaning that by showing a bit of arm or leg skin equals the right to be harassed on the street. Speaking from personal experience when in Cairo in 2010, I wore a loose skirt that fell below the knee and always covered my chest with a scarf and my top sleeves went to the elbow. I would have Egyptian friends question what I was wearing "oh thats not a good idea". But when I pointed out the a hijab girls in the street, albeit covered head to toe in clothing, you could still see every curve of their body. And they had no answer for it!
So who has the right to question which is better?!

You can see from my picture that I wear hijab and I was a Muslim then as I am now, and I wear a hijab most probably for the same reasons as those girls! (I was being funny with the father comment, its more to do with Islamic society)

The simple fact is no one has the right to harass and no one deserves to be harassed - whether in burka or bikini!

The people that do it should be ashamed of themselves and women shouldn't tolerate it and men shouldn't allow it if their ears hear it!

Islam teaches respect and many people need to be reminded of it.

As for the Egyptian mothers comment from Layla... I'm not generalising but from watching my 2 sister in laws over the past 18th months I sadly have to agree with her. Its hard for me to witness such lazy parenting and the 4 children, all under the age of 6, are allowed to run riot. For example: the thing I hate most about Egypt is all the rubbish ruining this beautiful country. I believe kids need to be taught to put rubbish in the bin/trash can. When I watch my nieces and nephew throw their crisp/chips packets etc on the floor of their own home, then how can you ask them to not do it outside? Respect and care needs to start at home for it to then be applied to the outside world. :(

At least I feel like I'm doing my bit for Egypt when I am at work and teach all the kids in kindergarten :D

Salaam Mrs Ismail,

exactly, no one has the right to herrass anyone, no matter what they wear or where they go.

About the parents, I am very sorry that your experience with egyptian moms wasnŽt as positive as mine. The mothers I know, my aunts, my cousins, my friends, my neighbours... I can tell you I have never seen in them the smallest lazyness, all the oposite, they inspire strenght as I have never seen before. They are fighters since birth and I look up to them and wish to be half as good mother. How can we blame this courageous women for any of the before mentioned?? I think itŽs wrong.

Maa salaama :)

Dear members,

As this thread tends to go off topic i will like to remind you that religion is a too sensible matter to be discussed on the forum. Please avoid going down this way or we shall be moderating some posts.

Thanks
Armand

Hello all ppl

We have read all these comments and this is the reality in Egypt ..

Can we all take a pledge amongst all the Expat.com members that we would not tolerate any harassment to any woman in Egypt ( Local or Expat ) in our presence....if we see this happening around us we would step in and support the woman being harassed without getting into a fight

If we all start doing it in a small way it would make a difference... Even if it makes a difference to one woman at a time , it would be a great service humanity

Who is with me on this to practise this from today...we all can make a difference to our society ..let us just commit and practice this

I tried doing this recently ..one woman was being harassed my some young men in New Cairo area ..she was a foreigner in her 30s I guess ... I stepped in and just started talking to her pretending that I know her....she realised quickly that I am trying  to help her  and she responded ..that let these youngsters not to accost her any more...

Will this solve the problem ..no...did It make a difference to that woman at that precise moment ..yes..so it's no so difficult ...

Have a nice evening ahead

Ash

Do you know reham said 😂😂