Colombian cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Colombia?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Colombia and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Arepa con queso, chicharron, frijoles verdes, carne rellena, empanadas.

Best recipe, eat at my parent's in laws' house.  Second best the local luncher around the corner from me here in Cajica.  It's almost too much food with all kinds of fixings at your choice for only 8,000.  Third best is my home cooking with the authentic meats and just salt from here in Colombia.  Fourth is eating out, there are lots of great places for burgers, pizza, carne asada, empanadas, and breads.  The tamales around my house are great too for a morning with guests.

I would have to say I just love the food here, but for a good old brisket and jerky you need to head back to Texas.

Have to say its definitely sancocho. Made with carne.and the ribs here are bloody good also.must admit i can eat most things but find a lot is too bland tasting and i don't like the bread.

I spent 21 days in Chapinero , Bogota - it was my mission to sample the cultural cusine.  My Colombian fiance and I ate at many places -  here is the bottom line.  Everything is served with potatoes or french fries.  The condiments are
picante or similar, ( they have ketchup at Mc Donalds ...lol) 

The  better resturants (more expensive) were above average, all propostions were large, the bread was adequate but nothing special.  The rice was generally white and bland.  Most of the meat was well done and fat filled.

I enjoyed Paisa at El Rancho- two people with drinks (25.00 usa). Empandas, etc were all deep friend and greasy.
The basic resturants all deep most foods, using the same oil for FISH as FF or other items, ( always leaves an after taste.) 

On a scale of one to ten - I would RATE  the cultural cusine as above average (6) but lacking the wow effect.
Generally the food with either deep friend or over cooked.  Beef is constant, Fish is deep fried, potatoe galore.

This is only my opinion- I have 20 years experience in the resturant business.  Do not waste your money on Chinese Food it was terrible- same with sushi - Colombians trying to do oriental cooking is a failure everytime.  I did not find any oriental resturants which were authentic.

Sincerely
Randy

I apologize for my poor grammar and spelling, I was in a hurry and liked the food topic.  Bogota is a fantastic city, and I enjoyed my 21 day stay. Currently I am working on my Fiance Visa to USA.

Chinese food..have to agree a total bust here

Colombian cuisine is starch, starch, and more starch.
Basic ingredients: Potatoes, rice, red beans. Meat will be either (overcooked) beef, pork, or chicken. Sides: plantain, arepa (maize made flatbread), avocado. Some dishes include sausages and pork rinds.
What Colombian call salad is usually a tiny portion of chopped lettuce with onion and diced tomato.

I find it difficult to eat healthy in Colombia. Best bet is eating soups. Or fish, when on the coast.

Colombians usually drink fruit juices with their meals, or even worse, sodas. I never seen a Colombian drinking plain water with his food. Maybe the most health conscious ones, but haven't met them yet :D

The best sausages I have found, are those of the style "Antioqueño", named after the Antioquia departamento which includes Medellín,  These come closer in taste and spicyness to what an American or German would expect (even though they still have a long, long way to go).  Otherwise most sausage is bland to the point of boring, almost inedible at least for me.

I love the street vendors who will make fruit juices fresh while you wait, from many varieties of fruit.

EXACTLY!  PERFECTO.... like my beautiful Colombian Wife....

Hello to all. Colombian cuisine is rich and diverse, thanks to geographical variety, a tropical climate, and other influences. Like so many countries different regions prepare dishes differently. Here in Manizales, the word “paisa” isn't really used to identify fellow countrymen, here in this area people from the departments of Antioquia, Risaralda, Caldas and Quindío are called “paisas” – hence, la bandeja paisa (the paisa platter).  Beef, egg, arepa, chorizo, avocado, rice, red beans and chicharron, fried plantains, morcilla (blood sausage). Yes, that's all for one person... morcillas (my favorite) are very different from those in Argentina here they are stuffed with rice, peas, onion, parsley and a few more ingredients that make them a beloved addition to any plate. One other amazing thing is the Colombian's use of potatoes....
Probably the most important thing to mention is the importance of (lunch) here.  In the states the "big" meal is dinner. Here its lunch then a nap!
Let's not forget the soups.... well I could go on and on...Best thing to do just get out there and taste it! Have a nice day... Best Regards to all!
ps.. had to make one more comment...Forgot to mention! Colombia fruits!!!!! you can't find anywhere else!!!!!!!!! Pitaya, lulo, granadilla, mamoncillo, guanabana, cherimoya, tomate de arbol, uchuva, zapote, curuba…just to name a few...te cuidas ...chaochao