Electricity Charges bangkok

Hello

I have rented a small apartment for 6 months not far from central bkk.

The place is safe and low cost but it was always going to be short term. I notice my electricity bill is fairly high approx 4000 thb a month. I do work from my apartment so I'm in a lot I just want to get some advice from others in same boat?

I read a few articles on living expenses and I'm thinking my electricity is right as I believe a lot of the articles are based on persons not working  from home.

We do not eat in much but we use A/C a lot and we are constantly charging something up.

Any input as always appreciated.

Firstly you need to know if the electricity rate is the one of the government or fixed by the condo ( which will be higher ).

You can check electricity price here : http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php? … mp;pid=109

There is also an electricity calculator, use Type 1 ( Ft coefficient is fixed ) or Type 2 ( enter the Ft coefficient as per your bill ) : http://www.mea.or.th/aboutelectric/inde … orm=form11

If you stay in for work, you will be surprised but running the ac,opening your fridge frequently and using lights for long hours can really affect your bill. Try swapping your bulbs with Led ones and maybe do your work in a cafe during the hot afternoons. That might help.

Regs Jake

Hello

Thanks for the quick replies and input I shall look at the thai electricity website.

I do not think a cafe will prove less costly when you factor the coffees, cost to get to and from etc.

I am really looking after other people's input on their bill per month. If you work from home like me and you live in an apartment then I guess we may have similar bills?

I just want to be sure my apartment is on par I like the place but my partner who is thai thinks we pay over the odds and I'm sure she is right but I have no other basis to justify moving and we had no issues here and place fairly friendly and I'm not a fan of the never ending apartment search:-)

Do you have a bill in front of you ? with Ft coeff, number of unit, etc.... many condominiums charge higher rate.

You can not compare simply based on working at home, depends on the aircond unit BTU, the size of appt, how long aircond run, which temperature ( 1 degree can play a lot ), insulation, how the appt is ventilated ( like a house when all windows are open, the air can circulate ), is it an aircond type inverter ( cost more to buy but save energy ), do you clean the aircond every 6 months, many parameters enter into account.

I am not in condominium, I have 5 units, I am home all day, I don't run all of them, but bill is less than 2,500 per month, kids run them often afternoon, week end, etc.. to play in their bedroom... computer, TV, etc.. run all days, water pump for gardening, etc...

Hi Thierry

This make any sense I believe this is units of electricity.

23708 - 24296

Total for the above units of electric 3528 thb.

So is this 588 units of electric used divided by total cost 3528 = 6 THB a unit?

Br

Ray

When pay to the power company, The unite price is around 4.13.

So when using your numbers. 24296 - 23708 = 588 unite X 4.13 = 2.359 baht. (2.359,65)

3.528 - 2.359 = 1.169 baht pay to much X 12 month = 14.028 baht per year.

That why when look for a place to live, all ways demand to pay direct to the power and water company.
If they say no, find other place to live, Simple as that.

My wife parent, 3 grand kids live in big house, Air Con in all the rooms, 4 TV, 3 pc. huge refrigerator and more, pay 3.500 - 4.000 baht per month for power.

Wife and i live en a 150 quartz meters house, And we pay around 1.300 baht per month.
Around 500 baht more in hot season.

Rc2702 wrote:

Hi Thierry

This make any sense I believe this is units of electricity.

23708 - 24296

Total for the above units of electric 3528 thb.

So is this 588 units of electric used divided by total cost 3528 = 6 THB a unit?

Br

Ray

The calculator I gave you I use it, and I always got the same amount as the one written in my bill.

I simulated for you 588 units with the calculator Type 1, then 1.2 ( to enter the Ft ),  with Ft ( I use 46.38 satang as per my last bill ), you should pay : 2,567.35 THB. ( I paid for 600 units last month 2,623.86 THB, you can simulate this one too with same Ft )

In this calculator you will see the rate vary in 3 ranges ( I gave you the link previously ) :

- First 150 kWh (1st – 150th) ---> 2.7628 THB/ Kwh
- Next 250 kWh (151st – 400th) ----> 3.7362 THB / Kwh
- Over 400 kWh (up from 401st) ----> 3.9391 THB / Kwh

Service charge 38.22 THB / month

That is clear you are not on government rate and your condominium charge you a premium rate.

What happen in condominium, they need big transformer to generate enough power for all the building, and need to maintain this, and some even need generator if there is power cut, all of this have a cost,,, in a house you just have your electricity meter on the post, ( can be 3 phasis - 4 wires, if you want more power, and still have electricity if some phases are shut down ), or the normal sytem ( 1 phasis - 2 wires )

Many thanks for this Thierry and never done that.

I will use the information you gave me for my next place or perhaps I can negotiate with current landlord. I pay a similar fee in london so I thought it strange the costs were so similar.

Many thanks again.

Ray

Rc2702 wrote:

Many thanks for this Thierry and never done that.

I will use the information you gave me for my next place or perhaps I can negotiate with current landlord. I pay a similar fee in london so I thought it strange the costs were so similar.

Many thanks again.

Ray

It is not about the landlord it is about the condominium rate, you should ask rate for electricity and water before to rent, and get it written, each condominium can have different rate.

Some estate agency publish them for example like this :
Electricity charge by Provincial Electricity Authority, Water THB 30 /Unit, Internet THB 350 /Month, TV THB 200 /Month ...