Caribbean Side

As nice as the Pacific side of Panama is, I'm a Caribbean Fan... Other Boca's  has anyone found a viable area on the Caribbean side to live that can be considered safe with amenities, (Healthcare, Banking, shopping, etc)  Wonder why that side lacks so much in interest for Development!

Al 1 Tech wrote:

As nice as the Pacific side of Panama is, I'm a Caribbean Fan... Other Boca's  has anyone found a viable area on the Caribbean side to live that can be considered safe with amenities, (Healthcare, Banking, shopping, etc)  Wonder why that side lacks so much in interest for Development!

Infrastructure has historically been a problem.  Around 2008 I too wondered this and felt that the construction of the new divided highway to Colon would open up the Caribbean coast and lead to many options for second homers and retirees.  After all, it would be the closest beach area to Panama City.  This did not happen.  One development - Bala Beach Resort in Maria Chiquita - was probably the largest announced and sits on a small piece of black sand between Sabanitas and Portobello.  Even though pre-sales were supposedly quite robust for buildings 1 -4, construction was years behind getting started and completing.  By the time, say, 2012 rolled around, buyers for the most part refused to close on their purchase.  Basically, what was delivered was not what was promised or at least expected.  Because the area is sketchy in terms of safety and lacking in amenities (a small Rey's is in Sabanitas), the 12+ buildings (and hotel) the developers promised would have given Bala Beach the size and scale needed to make it a self-contained, secure development that would either have all the needed amenities or attract them to the area.  Two buildings were built and construction stopped.  Some say they will resume development, but with changes (takeover) in construction and bank financing and the passage of time and dwindling interest, I doubt it.  The rental pool probably was not set up because there's not enough demand to stay there.  It's very remote and everything requires driving somewhere else.  The two buildings that were built sit away from the water and require walking through a gravel parking lot to get to the small beach.  Not what was depicted in the "artist's renderings."

Every year or so, a new hotel or condo project is announced but none ever goes through. Treebeach was announced, pre-sold some units and then the developers took the money and ran - never even started construction.   

Aside from safety and lack of nearby amenities, the beaches are very dark sand and not the "Caribbean beach" you might be thinking of and the proximity to Colon is a huge negative.  Despite some cruise ships stopping in Colon, it is not a safe city whatsoever.  And, as with other areas of Panama, litter and trash are strewn everywhere.

I am aware of a small enclave of homes called San Marino:
http://panamabeachhomesforsale.com/san_marino_villa

Don't believe the comment about "quaint town of Portobelo."  One visit to the local church and old fort and you've seen it.  And, understand that you live in a gated community (as you would want to) and would not want to be out alone or at night, in my opinion.  The two-lane road makes for easy ambush.  Isla Grande is well visited farther up the coast on some rough roads, but not a place to live.