CAN I TRAVEL BACK TO MY COUNTRY AFTER EXTENDING MY TOURIST VISA

Hi James

I am sharon from Kenya, i came to brazil to meet my boyfriend,.we met last year when he was working in kenya. i just extended my 180 day tourist visa today. He just been told today again that he might travel to kenya for work next month, i want to go with him,. i miss my family ,.and i read online after being granted 180days the next visa i might get is for permanent residency or get married. so i was wondering will they allow me,..my 3months visa was remaining a few weeks. i want to go back home for amonth atleast meet my family and stay for a month while my boyfiend is working there and get documents i didn´t have for my VIPER  permanent residency.
thanks.

Shaz

Hi Shaz,

I think you're a bit confused. A VITUR Tourist Visa allows an initial stay of 90 days (3 months) that can be extended for an additional 90 days (3 months) to allow a maximum of 180 days per "rolling" year. Your stay is calculated based on the entry and exit stamps in your passport, not the number of days that the extension was issued for.

So if you've not used up all 180 days in the year you can leave and return to Brazil for the remaining days during that year. Just keep in mind that if you're planning to marry here in Brazil that the process takes a minimum of 30 - 45 days from the time you submit all the documents to the Cartório so they'd have to all be ready, and in perfect order so you could submit them immediately upon arrival if your remaining visit entitlement is limited.

If he's coming to Kenya to work it might even be better (and less bureaucratic) for him to marry you there and register the local marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Nairobi. That way you can either apply for your VIPER Permanent Visa there, or return to Brazil on your VITUR Tourist Visa and apply for "Permanência Definitiva com base em cônjuge brasileiro" immediately upon arriving. I personally would recommend the last option for the following reasons:

1. Since you're a female it will probably be much more important for your parents to see their daughter married that in will be for your fiancee's family.

2. Probably lots less bureaucracy for him to marry there, than for you to marry here.

3. You can always arrange a church wedding here in Brazil (has no legal standing) but you're already married, this would satisfy his parents' need to see their son married.

4.  Applying for permanency here based on marriage, the permanency is granted immediately, you get registered in the RNE program, and apply for your civil ID (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro) all at the same time, and the only thing you wait for is the ID card to be produced.

Hope this information is of help to you and gives you and your fiancee something to think about.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

hello again
yah i was a bit confused. he is going to work for a month in kenya and come back.so if we get married in kenya, for instance,.. how is the process of getting the permanent brazil visa ?

Well, if you get married there HE personally must go to the Consulado and register the marriage, it can only be done by the Brazilian spouse.

Once that has been done you can apply for your VIPER Permanent Visa at the Consulado in Nairobi, but you then must wait until the visa has been granted to enter Brazil. You can't come back using your existing VITUR. Generally speaking the Consulados abroad take 3 to 6 months to issue a VIPER.

On the other hand, once the marriage is registered with the Consulado in Nairobi you are perfectly free to return immediately to Brazil using your VITUR and then apply for permanency here. That would mean you can return together rather than being separated during the time it would take for the Consulado to issue the visa.

The documents for the VIPER are exactly the same in either case (here or there) so that's really not an issue.

See the following two topic threads for more information on Permanency based on marriage and for Registering a marriage abroad for Brazilian citizens:

PERMANENCY APPLICATION:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403321

REGISTERING A MARRIAGE ABROAD:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=376293

Cheers,
James

yes you can. if you want mor information contact me

sadik rehoboth wrote:

yes you can. if you want mor information contact me

Sadik,

If the member wants more information all she needs to do is ask here on the forum. There is no need to contact anyone.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

I can give my input here
Got married in South Africa , where I'm from and applied for VIPER in Cape Town

It took about 3 - 4 weeks to get the VIPER from application ,maybe I was just lucky
Also no translations were required as it was done outside of Brazil and they legalized the documents there - check on this

The Lady at the consulate was married to a South African and has been living in SA for many years so she was very helpful and friendly . I think this can make a difference if you get someone who's "on your side" so to speak

Just make sure you get a printed copy of your VISA APPLICATION FORM back when you get your VIPER
you need this in Brazil when you check in with the federal police - its a printed form with your pic and info on it that has been signed by the Consul - the same form you submitted for the application
They forgot to give it to me and it caused headaches

Thanks for your very valuable input Steve. It is true, it's always nice to deal with someone who knows EXACTLY what you are going through because they've been there themselves.

Also you're quite correct, if the application is submitted abroad there is no need for sworn translation of documents that are in that country's official language, unlike here in Brazil where all documents not issued in Portuguese must be translated by a sworn translator.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team