I live in France but my schengen visa is expired

Hello po .

I have a questions:
1.) I live in Paris,France but my schengen visa is already expired 18 months ago:
Puwede po ba akong mag travel sa Norway by plane kahit expired na ang schengen visa ko?
2.) or do I need to apply po ba ng fiancee permit here in Paris para maka punta ako sa Norway?

Thank you po sa mga sasagot, it's highly appreciated po.

can you please write in English? How are you living legally in Paris?

if you dont have any valid Schengen Visa (type C)  or residence permit in France, and I assume you're a Filipino citizen, then you can't legally travel to Norway... i am not much familiar with french visas, but based on this link, a long stay visa allows you to reside in France but it is not a Schengen visa.. it would help if you could explain further what visa u currently hold that allows you to stay legally in France..

in addition, every case is different.. and what you need or is required depends on your own case.. the UDI website is the perfect place to start... pick "Want to Apply".. fiancée permit/visa is under family immigration..

and like ECS said, please write in english so more people can help you ;)

Hello ECS, I been asking if I can travel freely to Norway from France with my expired Schegen Visa, since Norway is one of the 26 countries in Schegen territories ? It's a bit confusing from me.

Or since I am already in Schengen territories with my expired visa , can I apply or my fiancée for fiancée permit for me to go in Norway from France?

Thanks for your reply.

Hello peebz,
Yes I am filipina. I had my Schengen visa expired but I am still living in France.
I got engaged recently with Norweigan citizen and he wants me to go in Norway to prepare our wedding.
Now, I do not know exactly if I can travel freely to Norway since I am already in Schengen terretories and Norway is one of the 26 Schengen countries?
Thanks for your reply.

Hi peebz please see attached link
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Areaabout the free travel area. Thanks

i understand you are already in France... but like i said, being able to travel freely and legally in the Schengen area (particularly in Norway) still depends on ur citizenship and the permit/visa you currently hold that allows you legal stay in france.. what visa/or residence permit  do you have now that allows you to stay in France?

Jetaime04 wrote:

Hello peebz,
Yes I am filipina. I had my Schengen visa expired but I am still living in France.
I got engaged recently with Norweigan citizen and he wants me to go in Norway to prepare our wedding.
Now, I do not know exactly if I can travel freely to Norway since I am already in Schengen terretories and Norway is one of the 26 Schengen countries?
Thanks for your reply.

As a Filipino citizen, you would usually need a visitor's visa to travel to and visit Norway.

As what Pheebz has already mentioned, you can travel to Norway if you have a valid (unexpired) Schengen visa since Norway also belongs to the Schengen territories. Now if you're in France on an expired visa, you run the risk of having to pay a fine and/or having an alert recorded against you when you leave the French territory. You could also be deported back to the Philippines. And you won't be allowed entry to Norway without a valid visa. Furthermore, having a record on the Schengen Information System might affect your future applications for either visa or residence permit in any EU/EEA countries.

The above scenario would likely happen if you travel by plane--you would normally have to go through the immigration at the airport and the border police control officer would notice your expired visa. Perhaps you could get away with it if you travel by land since there are no border controls across the Schengen Area...but with the ongoing refugee/migrant crisis in Europe, border checks are now being implemented as well.

However, if you have a valid residence permit or a long-stay visa in France, you can likewise transit and move freely throughout the Schengen area.

As for applying for a fiancée permit, you can't possibly apply for a fiancé permit to Norway if you are illegally residing in France. You will have to apply from the Philippines. But there could be another option...if your Norwegian fiancé has been living and/or working in France and if you could marry in France, there is the possibility that you can apply for residence permit/card to Norway as the spouse of an EU/EEA citizen exercising freedom of movement.

the most important question of all: Are you staying in France LEGALLY?

In case of confusion, definition of Legally = Permitted by Laws, specifically France and Schengen laws

Are you an illegal migrant in France now because you do not have any visa or permit to stay in France?

Fornight is correct.

Before we can answer your question,you will need to provide us some information about your status of stay in france.

If you are:
-a citizen holder in france-then you can freely move around europe
-holding a valid tourist/schengen visa- you can travel freely to other schengen

For short here is what we can say based only on your post:

If the only permit you had was the expired tourist/schengen visa then you cannot go anywhere in schengen area and you are not even allowed to stay there in france since it is expired you will be considered as an illegal and will need to go home and this illegality will greatly affect your future applications towards obtaining a schengen visa or other permits.

But if your schengen visa is expired but you are currently holding a residence permit in france then you can freely visit other schengen area. As per UDI definition of residence cards/permit

Unless otherwise stated on the card, it also proves that you are entitled to travel freely in the Schengen area. You should therefore bring the card with you when you travel abroad. You must always bring your passport as well.

just to add to everything that was explained here...

even if u somehow was able to cross borders illegally, you still wont be able to get a fiancée permit or even get married in Norway coz one of the requirements is that you should have a legal stay in Norway... being a Filipino citizen, that means you need to be holding a valid (as explained above it means not expired) Schengen visa type C or a residence permit/ID... valid also means you need to be following the 90/180day rule even if u hold a multiple entry Schengen visa or if you have a residence permit for other Schengen countries..

and like stephy said,  if you are staying illegally, you should go home than risk getting jailed in a foreign country... but deportation will post risk in ur future visa applications...

if the OP has a valid residence visa for France, that does most likely allow visits to other Schengen countries, but it doesn't provide any legal residence status in Norway. There does often seem to be some confusion as to how that works. Although the Schengen agreement allows free travel between the member countries, having a residence permit in one doesn't allow you to live in another one. The residence permits are always country specific!