Moving to Bahrain with kids

Hi,

Moving abroad is an adventure for both parents and children: settling overseas is a challenge for each family member.

How was the move to Bahrain for your kids?

How did they manage to adapt to their new environment?

Share with us your experience and advice on settling in Bahrain with children.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

I would also like to know too!

I Am moving to Bahrain this month with my husband and two kids and will be teaching at NVTC Bahrain.

Would love to know how people have found schools, living and general life there with kids

Thanks
Fahima

Hi Faaahhhmma,

I am sure these links below should give you adequate info., but if you have some specific queries then please do create a new post so that our esteemed members can reply back

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231960  : Definitive Guide to Bahrain for New Expats
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=337348 : cost of living
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 07#2522261 : cost of living area wise

i wish you all the best and welcome to Bahrain.

T&R

I moved here in April to join my husband who had been here for 15 months before that.  We delayed our move to wait until our son had a confirmed school place as we felt he would not deal well with multiple school moves.

My son (7) has adapted well, we had to remind him to drink more water through the summer and mentioned it to his school who were good in helping to remind him during the day.  He has made lots of friends in our compound and through the school - his social life is now better than ours!! :)

We have found that Skype has been invaluable in allowing him to remain in contact with his friends in the UK.

As soon as you know you may be moving start the process of applying for school places (BSB & St Christophers have waiting lists!!).
Help your friends at home to set up Skype etc and test it as a game with your child so they know how to use it!!  (Mine can now make and answer calls if my machine is logged in!!).

Many families have recolocated to Bahrain with their children from what ive seen on this forum. There are international schools here so kids from abroad can adapt. I know moving to a new country can be a new experience and initially things are difficult at first as you need to adapt and get to know your sourrounds, but as time passes by, things get easier.

This forum definetely helps as i can see alot of new comers / expats are in the same situation and through everydays findings, they post material that helps others, which a positive thing on this useful forum.

Im sure the mums out there can add to this post who have moved here with their children.  :top::)

I came last month with my two sons, aged 14 and 8. They were initially nervous, but once school started, they fitted in quite well, especially my elder boy. He's already swapping phone numbers. My younger one is still attached to me and more cautious, but is making friends. They are enjoying the swimming pool and the warmer weather. They feel much more relaxed here, in comparison to life in the UK.

They do drink a lot of water without me reminding them, as it is quite hot. They are yet to get a social life, but are quite comfortable at home for now, with their Xbox. I am slowly looking into football clubs.

My younger one is still attached to me and more cautious, but is making friends. They are enjoying the swimming pool and the warmer weather. They feel much more relaxed here, in comparison to life in the UK.

They do drink a lot of water without me reminding them, as it is quite hot. They are yet to get a social life, but are quite comfortable at home for now, with their Xbox. I am slowly looking into football clubs.

Welcome to Bahrain  :)

Life here is quite relaxed especially if you come from London which is a rat race at the best of times. 

Drinking water here is essential here especially during hot summer months. The good news is you've arrived now when the temperatures in Bahrain starts becoming pleasant. So outdoor activities will become more popular this time of the year. So your sons will enjoy much outdoor activities given their age.

The quality of life here is very good and you will see this as time goes by.

There are things here that are done quite differently from UK and at times it may be frustrating, but I advise you, don't loose your cool, it's just the way it is here. Just take things as they come and you will have a good liking for the place The people here are nice and there are good places here to visit on your time off.

Enjoy Bahrain  :top:

Thanks so much for your reply. It is certainly more relaxed and I'm enjoying that. It's taking me a while to get my sons enrolled in activities and getting a wider circle of friends, but I guess the cooler weather would help!

I can see the frustrations in Bahrain, and have to keep reminding myself that it isn't England. I'm getting used to it quickly. I know that after a month of being in Bahrain so far, the three of us (my sons and I) don't want to return to England for now!!! The quality of life is certainly better than what we are used to😄

Hi
I would be really interested in speaking with you regarding your move.  It sounds like you were in the same position as me.
We are from Jersey (so used to Island life / small community) and it may be that husband goes to Bahrain before us / school places are confirmed.
Im not sure how this works but i would be really keen to speak to you.
Thanks
Emma