Fair trade / eco friendly manufacturers

Hello - I am looking for contacts in Bali for fair trade manufactures (organic cotton clothing & bags) for my small business.
I would love to support local artisans and crafts people rather than large factories. I am looking for a skilled leather crafts person to make some leather bags and also looking to find a vegetable tanned leather suppler..
I have over 15 years experience in making and producing in Australian fashion, but no idea how to tackle finding these kind of makers (no websites etc) Does anyone know of any agents or anyone that can help me? I understand I need to come over to bali, but am trying to do as much ground work first as I have a baby & will not want to be leaving my family for too long for the first initial sourcing trip.
Would REALLY appreciate any tips on where to start looking!!!  :)
Thank you xx

You'll have fun trying to find any of them.
Factories commonly pay their workers as little as possible.
However, you could have a google.

http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/07/ … s-of-life/

“I would love to support local artisans and crafts people rather than large factories.”

That's a noble idea, and one you can rely on when it comes to Bali, since most all local artisans (no matter what they make) are independent, or able to operate on their own.

Nobody (in their right mind) is likely to publically share proprietary information regarding long time, trusted, and reliable sources on Bali for any product…and that should make sense to you.

“I understand I need to come over to Bali, but am trying to do as much ground work first as I have a baby & will not want to be leaving my family for too long for the first initial sourcing trip.”

Success in doing business in Bali comes with some sacrifice and inconvenience.  Is it different anywhere else?

Thanks Ubudian. I understand that, I didn't say I wasn't prepared to sacrifice or be inconvenienced. I am just looking for a starting point, I can't very well just turn up and walk around hoping to stumble across some craftspeople willing to make for me! That would not be very effective use of time, for anyone.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me

I can assure you without any doubt or reservation that the competition among expats these days is at a whole new level never seen before.  It is truly, “dog eat dog” these days, with everyone looking out for themselves.

The old and very reliable expat network that existed when I first moved to Bali many years ago is non existent today, and in fact, I would submit that virtually any advice you get these days from a self sustaining expat in Bali should be taken with a huge grain of salt, and a healthy dose of suspicion.  Think of it as a matter of self preservation and this aspect of human nature isn't so hard to wrap your head around.   

While you say, “I can't very well just turn up and walk around hoping to stumble across some craftspeople willing to make for me! That would not be very effective use of time, for anyone” the simple fact is that is precisely what you should be doing. 

What you should be doing should also be obvious.  Look in shops here for the kind of specific items you want produced for yourself…get friendly and close to the local sales girls running that shop, and make it worth their while to tell you exactly who is making their product. 

Cheers, and good luck.

Thanks for your advice.
I will most certainly try to do that, however I'm not planning on living in Bali, just visiting frequently.
Maybe I'm on the wrong forum...
Thank you again for taking the time to reply

"Maybe I'm on the wrong forum..."

You mean, like a forum where everyone will agree with you and offer blind encouragement?  Sorry, but you won't get that from me.  So, it's up to you to decide if you're on the wrong forum, or not.

It doesn't matter if you plan to live in Bali or not.  The simple reality is nobody is going to freely offer proprietary information that came their way by them paying their dues. 

Cheers again.

No that is not what I am after!!
I was actually hoping to connect with people who live in Bali who might know which areas I should explore when I go over there, tips, any friendly advice, a contact or a friend they have in Bali that are craftspeople. A recommendation for a reliable driver/ interpreter.... Any advice is greatly appreciated. There's no need to be so condescending. I'm simply a Aussie mum trying to do my best to start a small business and support Balinese craftsmenship and their traditional printing methods.  I am new to this. I didn't say it was going to be easy or people were going to offer me that kind of information.
Keep up the great work

Thank you  :)

Please don't confuse my direct and non PC approach as being condescending. 

In Bali the vast majority of products made here for export are not produced in factories, rather, they are produced within the compounds of Balinese families in villages scattered all over Bali.  The biggest exception to that norm would be furniture…the vast majority of it being factory produced in eastern Java…and understandably so given the machinery and space required to be productive.  Batik would be another exception…nobody wanting endless vats of smelly dyes and hot wax all about their living environment.

Finding those individual sources for your kind of product is your challenge…thus my advice as given. 

But hey, I live by one creed here when it comes to helping out others, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.”

So, once more…cheers, and good luck.  I sure hope you're thirsty.  :cheers:

PS.  If you need a good short list of very reliable local Balinese drivers who know this island very, very well, send me a PM and I'll be happy to comply…including one with a doctorate in ethnomusicology from the Chicago campus of the University of Illinois.  Nothing is more valuable here than reliable and expert local contacts.

Hi ,
I need someone who is a business man of import and export.that I can do business with him o.k.

Am looking  for organic fabric

I've seen a lot of people looking for Organic Fabric suppliers and the like in this Forum, and I would tend to agree with a lot of what Ubudian says. For traders, our most valuable asset are our suppliers and these can take years to source and to develop a long term good business relationship with. So giving them away just like that is not in our interest. If you are lucky then someone here might offer to help and perhaps they can become your agent, but personally I prefer not to work with sourcing/buying agents.

And as Bali is inundated with shops run by locals and foreigners alike selling everything you can possibly imagine, the best thing to do is as Ubudian says, go search around the shops both in the Legian/Seminyak area but also further north in Ubud, Tegallallang area and anywhere else. You never know what you will find. These small shops may be manufacturers or they might take your orders or as Ubudian said, offer them some money for the address of their supplier.

You could also visit the Exhibitions in Bali and also INACRAFT in Jakarta.

"For traders, our most valuable asset are our suppliers and these can take years to source and to develop a long term good business relationship with. So giving them away just like that is not in our interest."

Spot on!   :top:

It's kinda like asking McDonalds for the recipe to their "secret sauce."   :D

Hi there
I am very interested in partnering with some to create Fair Trade products in Bali. I live there now most of year. Will be great to hear from you! :)

Hi Cath Indi,

I have a small workshop producing several kinds of apparel including organic cotton.
Please message me for further details.

Hi, I am in Bali till 14th of August.
I wonder if of you are still interested in start a fair trade business.if this is so I would propose to have a coffee and talk about it.

Wait for your Sooners reply.

Hello there,
I live in Bali now and am actively seeking to supply locals fair trade employment. Would be great to meet with you and see what we can do.
My WhatsApp number is *** and email is *** Thank you and God bless,
Mark :)

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Mark,

I would love to meet to discuss. Until what date you will be in Bali? Do you live in Bali as a permanent resident?

Hello,
I am Alessandra, originally from Italy but planning to come to Bali for a couple of months  February/March. I have been in Bali twice already, so I am quite familiar with the place, and how to move around etc... Anyway, I am a freelance graphic designer and yoga teacher, I will brig my laptop to Bali and ideally I'd like to work a bit from there. Also, I have a personal project I am working on and I'd like to connect with local fairtrade businesses, I ma looking for people working with Organic Cotton and textiles from Bamboo. Would anyone be happy to help?

garkerbali wrote:

Hi Cath Indi,

I have a small workshop producing several kinds of apparel including organic cotton.
Please message me for further details.

I'd be interested in knowing more!

Ale

sorry, wrong quote
edited below

flowing_ale wrote:

Hello,
I am Alessandra, originally from Italy but planning to come to Bali for a couple of months  February/March. I have been in Bali twice already, so I am quite familiar with the place, and how to move around etc... Anyway, I am a freelance graphic designer and yoga teacher, I will brig my laptop to Bali and ideally I'd like to work a bit from there. Also, I have a personal project I am working on and I'd like to connect with local fairtrade businesses, I ma looking for people working with Organic Cotton and textiles from Bamboo. Would anyone be happy to help?

hi. my sister teaches yoga classes. and i produce some apparels with organic cotton / bamboo cotton. i am not sure how to contact you in this forum but i will send you a private message anyway

flowing_ale wrote:

Hello,

Beware.
Any work in Indonesia will require a work permit.
Not having one means likely deportation, maybe worse.

Hi thanks for your advice but my clients are based in the Uk, I am working remotely :)

Hi, did you find any?  Would you mind sharing?  Thanks.

Hi,

We do organic cotton tshirt since 2009. Pls send us message for further details.

cath_indi wrote:

Hello - I am looking for contacts in Bali for fair trade manufactures (organic cotton clothing & bags) for my small business.
I would love to support local artisans and crafts people rather than large factories. I am looking for a skilled leather crafts person to make some leather bags and also looking to find a vegetable tanned leather suppler..
I have over 15 years experience in making and producing in Australian fashion, but no idea how to tackle finding these kind of makers (no websites etc) Does anyone know of any agents or anyone that can help me? I understand I need to come over to bali, but am trying to do as much ground work first as I have a baby & will not want to be leaving my family for too long for the first initial sourcing trip.
Would REALLY appreciate any tips on where to start looking!!!  :)
Thank you xx

Hi, did you find any?  Would you mind sharing?  Thanks.