Helping Brazilian Rescue Dogs

Hi I run a dog shelter in the mountains behind Rio. We are now working together with a Canadian rescue who will foster some of the many strays that we have saved here and find them good permanent homes in Canada. We have previously sent several dogs to Canada and they all found marvellous homes. We can send the dogs unaccompanied as cargo, but it is far cheaper to send them accompanied. We are looking for Canadians and Americans as we have a foster in the USA too who are travelling back from the Rio area to be travel company for our dogs. It actually doesn't involve much on the traveller's side. We do all the paperwork and once the travellers and dog land in Canada there will be our rescue partners waiting to take the dog as soon as the Canadian authorities release the dog to the traveller. We are an official registered ONG here in Brazil as are our Canadian helpers in Canada. So if you would like to do a good turn and help some of the street dogs here to live their lives as they should then please contact me.  You can email me at [email protected] or visit www.dogsinbrazil.org we are also on FB.

Any chance that you or your Canadian rescue associate can help me obtain a Labrador (pref. YELLOW) that I could train as a Guide Dog? I'm still having difficulty locating a dog and both Canada Guide Dogs for the Blind and PADS - Pacific Assistance Dog Society aren't going to help me much.  My need isn't URGENT, as I still have some vision remaining, but it is slowly deteriorating at a constant pace.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

James will check it out.

My wife and friends are in the process of starting a dog rescue in Iguaba Grande

Hi Pete,

I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your eyes open for a Labrador too, since you're also here in RJ and not too far from Macaé. I'm looking for a good dog, either sex but prefer female since Lab males can be a bit dopey until they get closer to five years old. I really don't want a really young pup, maybe 6 months at the youngest, but something that isn't going to be too old to really adapt to being a service animal and not just a pet anymore.

Also to both you and @dogs in Brazil, the law here permits private training of Guide Dogs, so if either of you know of a really good registered trainer here in the Lagoas region please let me know. While I intend to do much of the training myself (lots of experience with Labs in the past) I'll need a registered trainer to keep the dog legit for use as a Guide Dog.

Cheers,
James