Health Insurance Challenge-English speaking agent in Plovdiv or Sofia?

Hi everyone, I am from the US and living in Plovdiv. I am here on a type D visa and preparing to apply for my RP. I need to get permanent health insurance coverage and so far it has been not very easy. I have encountered almost no english speakers and the communication/literature about benefits, providers, and coverage has been very limited.

I'd like to have a bit more coverage than the minimum requirement without spending US/UK premiums. Does anyone know a good company with a agent that speaks english?

Thanks in advance,

Lawrence

Hello Lawrence,

What is exactly your issue? What kind of company are you looking for?

Kind regards,

Denitsa

Hi, I honestly do not know, this has been a confusing process.

Hi Again,
I continue to attempt to navigate getting health insurance as part of my RP and it has been difficult.  I have found the required minimum coverage through Uniqua for around $250 BGN a year but the coverage information is vague and I have concerns if I have an major heath issue.

Looking into American and UK companies that provide coverage specifically for Expatriates the cost averages 250-300 US dollars a month which is a lot here! And I still have to call for them to tell me where to go verses getting to pick my own provider. How do I know I am getting the best possible care? Does anyone here have this type of coverage?

Cigna quoted me online their Silver International Medical Insurance for 165.00 USD a month ($1500 deductible) plus another $25 a month if I want coverage in the US. This is the best price I have found but there is no detailed coverage information on the website.

Is there anything in the middle between these two choices? I'd like to not spend a fortune but know I can get the best possible care if there is a need. It would be my preference to be able to pick the hospital in Sofia if something serious came up.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Lawrence