Staying for good in Brazil with Dutch passport

Hello everybody,  we are planning to move to Brazil for good.  I did some research and since i have dutch passport,  i dont need to have visa to enter Brazil.  I would like to know if there are other papers from Holland that i have to take with me if I go to Brazil,  to present to the offices if for example i will buy a property or open up a business? Thank you.  I will appreciate your advice.

Hello Angelsergio,

I think that you need to go back and read the Schengen Area Agreement a bit more closely.

Yes, you can enter Brazil using only your passport (you get a visa stamp on entry), but that is ONLY for the purposes of tourism, you are only permitted to remain in Brazil for a period of 3 months (90 days) in any 6 month (180 day period), stays calculated on your first ever entry into Brazil.

Tourists are not permited to work or study in Brazil. For permanency you would need to marry a Brazilian, have a Brazilian child, invest R$150 thousand, or hold a VITEM-V Work Visa for 3 years consecutive and apply for transformation into Permanent.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Mr. James

Thank you so much.

I will do more reading. But is it possible to apply for permanent stay in Brazil if im already there? I was planning to take an attorney during my 3 months stay to take care of my papers so i can stay there for good with my family.

I read a lot of your advice and information in different topics and it really helps me a lot. Congratulations for your 10.000😊Cheers

The only way you can apply for permanency in Brazil has been mentioned above. You could for example apply for a VITEM-V Work Visa in Brazil if you were fortunate enough to find a job that would qualify for the visa, but even then you'd need to return to your country of origin to have the Consulado-Geral do Brasil there put the visa in your passport, and that must be done in person. Once you held that visa for 3 consecutive years (issued for two years, so that means you'd have to renew it at least once) then you could apply for it to be transformed into a permanent visa.

The ONLY other option that I can see for you (if you're already married) would then be the VIPER Permanent Visa for Investors, who would have a minimum of R$150 thousand to invest in a Braziian business or start a business of their own.

That's it, just those two options.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you for your help,  Mr James.  More power to you.